[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what university courses here would be most valued by an employer?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: 1497984218781.jpg (336KB, 800x536px) Image search: [Google]
1497984218781.jpg
336KB, 800x536px
what university courses here would be most valued by an employer?

>inb4 choose what you're passionate about
I'm passionate about getting a good job in 4 years and not having to have a really attractive personality to get one, please help
>>
>>18438493
Hey fuck you, your the kind of person who is clogging higher education. Fuckin listless millenial. No one just gets a random "job" from some "employer", life's not a test. Theres no qaulification that allows you to recieve money. If you aren't interested in anything that might lead you to a high paying job, than settle for low wages. You might not understand this, but I come from the top, I was born into an well off family. Money is not something you want to aim for. Only the poor think a fifty dollar steak is better than a good burger. All you should desire is happiness. So if you want to go into banking, hate yourself for 20 years, retire with a wife who you never really loved, and move to the fucking Faroe Islands, go ahead, nobodies stopping you. Ask yourself what you really love, because marine biologists love fish, game devs love to play, and economists love numbers. But a faceless worker in the ever-shrinking generic whitecollar "business factory" of your imagined future loves nothing more than his fucking couch. Is that where your real passion lies?
>>
>>18438583
Not OP, but I've "chased my dreams" and ended up dropping out of a humanities program at an elite university because it was so full of shit.

OP, from my own searching around, I've noticed that the only major that results in easy, high-paying employment these days is Computer Science. Type in "Software Engineer" on indeed.com and compare that with "High School Teacher." You'll notice a huge difference in salaries and job openings... anyway, if money and fast employment are all you care about, that's probably your best option.
>>
>>18438723
Guy you responded to here. CS is good now but it has a bad longterm outlook. I'd say within five years you can't expect to get a decent job while competing with indians that can do the same thing cheaper (and yea I know outsourcing isn't great now but india is already setting up educational infrastructure on par w/ the us, won't take long until its fully operational).
Anyway I've said my piece. Most CS majors already love programming, so going in there just to get a job might be a huge mistake and a waste of time. Try to get a taste before you go in for a full course.
>>
Art classes.
>>
>>18438493
Life science, nursing or midwifery. It seems to be their only field that isn't poop.
>>
>>18438493
hey paddy, if you're going to Trinners, then it won't really matter what you're studying, especially as your folks are probably loaded.
>>
>>18438493
The ones that give you work experience.
>>
>>18438493
STEM subjects train you for a specific job and make you very employable - a kind of elegant version of going to a trade school to learn plumbing and becoming a plumber.

But what if there are no plumbing jobs - or more likely, too many newly trained plumbers chasing them?

Non-tech majors don't point you to any specific jobs, but they also don't limit you. Except for purely technical fields, most business will at least consider a liberal arts grad. But the carch is that you have to sell yourself harder, on the basis of your skills and personality, rather than on your narrow training.
>>
>>18440543
>But the carch is that you have to sell yourself harder, on the basis of your skills and personality, rather than on your narrow training.
Even in STEM now you have to work hard to sell yourself. Getting a degree and high GPA isn't enough, you need other things to go along with it. Since you have to do everything else on top of getting a degree, it's arguable that the better way to go is non-STEM, since you're not narrowing your opportunities.
>>
>>18438493
The degree is important for what TYPE of job you get, but in terms of making sure you get one at all, the really important thing is to have a CV full of
>work experience and internships
>actual jobs
>clubs and societies (some with responsibilities)
>languages and preferably coding abilities
>high marks throughout education
>>
>>18440565
You forgot volunteering and research.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.