[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you not lose motivation in a universe where there is no

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: 1493992130909.png (888KB, 998x1096px) Image search: [Google]
1493992130909.png
888KB, 998x1096px
How do you not lose motivation in a universe where there is no free will and every action you take is already pre-determined?
>>
Wouldn't your motivation already be predetermined too?
>>
How does a train stop when it has no free will and every action it takes is already pre-determined?
>>
>>18438325
By sheer willpower and shitposting.
>>
>>18438352

pretty much this. you also have no proof, so whats it matter? operate under the assumption that you are making your decisions.

even if they are predetermined, those determinations are made off of your brain chemistry. you may make the same decision no matter how many times it rises, but you make it because thats what your particular life has influenced and built.

there is a difference between predetermined, and having some guys hand up your ass controlling oyu like a puppet.
>>
>>18438325
I drink a lot and just generally zone out of reality most days. Kinda let Shit blend together and just go with the motions anon. Find something you enjoy and let that fuel your minimal happiness.
>>
>>18438325
A universe with no inherent meaning just means you have to go out and make your own. Whining about how everything's meaningless and nothing you do matters isn't going to change anything, friend.
>>
>>18438368
Physics you dumdum.
>>
>>18438325

You lose motivation all the time. You keep doing stuff even while demotivated
>>
>>18438491
>You keep doing stuff even while demotivated
Stuff being used in the loosest way possible maybe.
>>
Huh, I lose morality, not motivation, when I get 2edgy4u. If it doesn't matter, fuck it, pass the coke and hookers.
>>
>>18438325
I'm predetermined to not care about being predetermined
>>
>>18438325
>What is spontaneous symmetry breaking?
>What is quantum mechanics?
The universe is probabilistic. It's not out of the realm of possibility that free will exists.
>>
>>18438325
>motivation
Motivation is fleeting. Get disciplined and just do things. Be the person you want to be. Don't wait for some bullshit inspiration, because if you ever actually get it, it won't last.

And really, who cares if everything is pre-determined? You personally don't have any idea how it's going to turn out. Do you not watch movies or read books because you know how they're pre-determined? No, because it doesn't matter. They can still be enjoyed. Success comes from learning to enjoy the process -- the journey -- and not some idea of results. Otherwise everything seems meaningless and unfulfilling, and it is, because you've chosen for it to be that way.
>>
You either have it or you don't. Some people have it through the correct combination of DNA and upbringing, and they like to tell everyone else who doesn't how awful they are for existing.
>>
>>18439034
I skimmed your post because it didn't vibe with me at all but I didn't really know why.

Now I do, I can't just get disciplined and do things as far as I know, I've watched myself in first person routinely do lazy things and mindlessly let my body, mind and social skills rot away while I sit in my room in front of a computer for 10 years now. Sitting back and enjoying the process is ALL I'VE EVER DONE. I care very much if everything is pre-determined, it means, in all likelihood, that I'll be like I've been for a decade until I fucking die. I want to escape but barring moments of self-awareness like this I do nothing. I obviously need to get disciplined but I can't even do that because my desire to live a disciplined life is squashed by years upon years of the building of an addiction to comfort and distraction behind a series of blue lights. It's not like I never tried to leave it all either but without fail I come back and stay back after a week or so.

I feel trapped, anon.
>>
>>18439424

Determine, catalogue and assess your weaknesses. Then work on them one by one. Sometimes the weaknesses are so large/abundant/debilitating that focusing on them is better than improving on your strengths.
>>
>>18439002
This. Plenty of theoretical physicists and neuroscientists and so on (talking legit scientists with research positions and many published papers to their name, not pop. sci authors) take the possibility of free will existing seriously. Some have even published papers about it. Dozens more take no position on the existence of free will at all. I'm talking purely about hard scientists here, not even getting into philosophers.

It's so fucking annoying when laypeople with a high school understanding of the issues involved act like something that's in fact wildly controversial is a settled issue.
>>
>>18439502
What is your take on this video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joanVUoXY0s
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.