[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

At what point should a student call it quits with Uni? I attend

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: images.jpg (5KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
5KB, 259x194px
At what point should a student call it quits with Uni?

I attend a community college and have accumelated 6 F's and a couple D's in my two years there, but this third I'm going to clean up my transcript before I transfer to Uni. I did the math and if I get straight A's I can pull off above a 3.- before transferring, and above a 3.8 before graduating from Uni. I got FAFSA right out of high school so I never really cared, I even got to pocket $500 a term, so I took advantage of that, but now regret it gravely.

My dream is to get accepted into a PhD math/CS program (likely starting with masters cuz it's easier to get accepted that way), do you think it's still possible?
>>
>>18435860
if that's your dream why aren't you putting any effort into studying? why is that your dream? if you can't put any effort into baby college what makes you think you'll even be hired to do any research jobs that a phd would require?
>>
>>18435860
If you drop out you might have to pay back everything you've received from the pell grant.
>>
>>18435860
Wew lad, with grades like this...

Dude, stop bulshitting yourself and /adv/ you are either too stupid or too lazy, and your academic results clearly indicate it.

>he is dreaming about PhD
Kek, this is for elite students, dude. Stop dreaming and start working, maybe then you will obtain your Bsc
>>
>>18435860
Also, I plan on dumping my heart and soul into pimping out my application through undergrad research, programming skills etc, etc.. I just need to know if this door is closed or not.

>>18435870
Because it wasn't my dream to begin with. I've since taken a couple MOOCs on studying habits, and have begun applying myself and caring much more overall. It's actually been a much more recent realization how much I enjoy studying for these math classes, and my bad grades were mostly in stupid pre-req classes like writing, film, etc..

>>18435874
Good to know, thanks.
>>
>>18435887
I know the best thing to do is display an upward trend and do my best, but I want to know if it's even remotely possible to get into a post-grad program.
>>
>>18435903
Personally I don't see it happening. And that's because all my friends in PhD programs are naturally gifted in the field they are pursuing and were very dedicated to their studies from the very beginning. Based on what you posted so far I can only say that you don't strike me as such a person.
>>
>>18435936
Well, I didn't want to post details I didn't think were unnecessary. My interest wasn't the question, it was if the door is simply closed or not (hence interest and such being irrelevant if the door is closed). While not always receiving high marks in my math classes, I've never had trouble with them and have always enjoyed them. I wish I had been as dedicated as your friends were to begin with, but hope through over compensation and long, consistent studying days I can catch up. I am very determined to get nothing but A's until I graduate (and while it's easy to type such a thing, I am actively pursuing making this reality by studying for this falls courses right now, and have goals set to have a certain level knowledge in order to attend some conferences and actually be able to understand a least a tidbit here and there).

From what I gather, you don't dismiss it as impossible?
>>
>>18435955
I rarely brand things as impossible. By all means, try your best. Don't be surprised if it turns out not to be enough. Having great ambition is good, it's a great source of motivation, but sometimes being humble and working hard BEFORE making grand plans is better.
>>
>>18435955
>>18435936
Another one of my issues I feel is the grading structure of the courses. In my community college, so much hinges on attendance, projects, weekly quizzes, etc and similar bs. Until recently I have just been tagging along for personal interest in the subject, and often neglected these silly little things since I'd get 90%+ on the exams and felt good just understanding the material, but unfortunately, in every class I've taken, this puts me at a B at best. This is yet another thing I am going to change, but thought it was worth noting that I have been enthusiastically learning the material, but haven't quite had my cross hairs on GPA.

Fortunately my pre-reqs are out of the way, and since then my grades have improved substantially.
>>
>>18435978
Ok, thank you. I try to tell myself this is well, since all that matters is giving it my absolute best, planning can wait. But it can be difficult at times when I question whether or not I should even be in school to begin with, it gives me a lot of anxiety and self hatred thinking about it.

At any rate, your right and thanks anon. I'll give it my best and see how it goes, I hope grad schools look more at my Uni performance than they do my earlier CC years.

but for now, one term at a time :-)
>>
>>18435990
Your problem is being too flippant about your uni's requirements

>bitching about obligatory attendance and weekly quizzes

I changed my mind. You don't have right mentality for successfully pursuing higher education. If you are too lazy to conform to basic uni norms like regularly attending your classe and preparing yourself for quizzes, there's no place for you in research. You sound like a mediocre student who feels entitled to something great just because it's your ambition. It doesn't work like this anon.
>>
>>18436013
No, I know. I'm saying rather than being in the class simply for learning, I need to shift how I think about it and also invest the time into the activities done simply for a grade. And I was also hoping that these more "grade buffer" like activities will cease to exist at uni. It's not a a habit I was attempting to defend, rather it was a critique of myself.

You can think what you want, because ultimately I'm not here for your approval. You've already answered my initial question by telling me that the circumstances of my grades alone, don't disallow it.
>>
I don't wanna sound blunt, anon, but here's the thing: unis love you, and they want you to study and get the degree you want.

It might not seem that way, because they might try to say you haven't been achieving bla bla, clean up your act, but it's a load of crap - if you sit down and talk to someone important, they'll almost never actually force you out of uni.

With regards to your grades and your dream, that is absolutely attainable. You will need to study your ass off, yes, but you can do it. You need to show that you're committed to this shit, and that you want it more than anything else in the world.

You don't need to be gifted or an absolute genius to get into a post-grad field. You do need to show passion and an unbreakable work ethic. Do related projects in your own time, extend your knowledge, study as much as you can and as early as you can to maximise your grades.

This won't be easy, anon, don't get me wrong. But that doesn't mean you get to give up on your study. Work, work, and work some more.

Have a good week, and finish what you started strongly.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.