[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My boyfriend is really depressed and self-defeating and self-loathing.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: thumb_HelpingHands.jpg (29KB, 550x363px) Image search: [Google]
thumb_HelpingHands.jpg
29KB, 550x363px
My boyfriend is really depressed and self-defeating and self-loathing. He's only a couple of years older than me (I'm 21) but he already feels like his life is over and opportunities have passed him by. He's got a lot of debt from college that didn't work out and is stuck living with his mom (a classic helicopter parent who takes every opportunity to put him down) a few states away.

He really believes that it's going to be impossible for him to move over here and be able to find work - but really, I'm more than willing & capable to help provide for him. Living on your own and away from abusive and harmful parents feels wonderful and I'm amazingly thankful that I was able to do that at an earlier age for myself.

I care for him very deeply, and get incredibly disturbed and stressed out when he puts himself down and talks about how he's going to end his own life before the years pass before he's able to come here - but I'm always careful to not show discomfort on my part because I know he can't help his depression.

He's a really sweet guy and I love spending time with him, but how can I put a little more hope in his life? How can I make him believe that it's possible for him to leave what he's got and that he actually deserves better?

What are some useful ways to aid someone's depression and bust through to get to him? What would YOU like me to do if you were in his situation?

Thanks in advance.
>>
>>18429053
Why not just sleep with someone else? No point in sticking around with damaged goods
>>
>>18429055
That's a pretty simple response and it does answer my question, but I have a genuine emotional connection with this fellow and would really like to exhaust all options before leaving him in the gutter. Thank you for exercising your concern though.
>>
>>18429053
Break up or tell him to see a therapist. You can't save someone who doesn't want to be saved.
>>
>>18429088
He's already seeing a therapist and taking medication... In the process of going off some of it right now which might explain why he's been having a rougher time?
>>
>>18429060
So you would leave your boyfriend if he couldn't get over his depression? Not criticizing you, just curious.
>>
>>18429108
Is he normally like this even while on medication?
>>
Depressed people appreciate What u Do to the utter most. They cant Show IT because showing weaknesses is impossible or atleast a very stupid Thing in Our opinion. Be There and IT will slowly change and try to explain to him that you really love him and just want him AT your side. Tell him that He didnt waste his life. His life LED him to be together with you and thats perfect.
>>
>>18429115
I was mainly speaking rhetorically in jest of the first response I got being word-for-word, "No point in sticking around with damaged goods"... A little coarse and frankly wouldn't be something I'd ever consider

>>18429118
He's always exhibited depressed traits since I've known him... Along with a sort of detached outlook on life and a bit of a shakey sense of identity. Over the course of about two years (We've only been dating abt ~6 months) he's been on all types of medications/combinations and phases where he's been more intense about his suicidal ideation. I guess he's in the midst of one now but this is the first time I'm reaching out like this?
>>
>>18429136
>Tell him that He didnt waste his life. His life LED him to be together with you and thats perfect.

Okay wow, thank you, I had never even thought before of that last thing
>>
>>18429150
Could be the side effects of the medication fucking his brain up. Either way, it's clear he needs to find some kind of passion in his life. He'll have to figure it out on his own, the best you can do is help him find out what that is.
>>
>>18429053
Don't take him in until he's gotten his shit back together. Depressed people are easily enabled to stay depressed when they have too much help from other people. Don't provide for him but you can help him in other ways like driving him to therapy appointments and helping him get out more so he doesn't wallow alone in his self loathing. Being depressed is acceptable but being with a depressed person who does not try to work on themselves is not acceptable. I have chronic depression and make sure to go to therapy, eat well, excefcise, and take my meds because if I didn't it would be a huge burden on my partner. Don't stick by people who give up and refuse to change for the better.
>>
>>18429053
Drop that N*gger.
My mother was a cunt for my entire life, she kicked me out/the police removed me when I was 16. She still tries to contact me but I'm done this is kinda making me laugh.

Anyway drop that N*gger. How can u get wet by such a pussy? You have a finite amount of time to find a good man, make (hopefully white) children. Don't allow that N*gger to drag you down.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.