[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I sell myself to make it known to a potential employer

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 6

File: major.jpg (105KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
major.jpg
105KB, 1280x720px
How do I sell myself to make it known to a potential employer that I know the material, but I have no official experience in the field?

I'm applying to a PC Technician Level 1 position near me, and the only thing that I don't have is DoD security clearance, or official MCSA certification (I think Network+ would work well in here too, but I'm currently studying for that exam). As far as the material knowledge of what the job description gives me, I know all of it, and have had hands-on experience in setting material up myself.

How do I show the employer that I know the material without lying on a resume?
>>
>>18428047

if at first you don't succeed lie, lie again.

i had literally no office experience. but i helped a guy move furniture in his home office before. so i claimed I had 4 month internship at Nativ.

surprise i got the job and now I run the entire business.

in your case just claim that this is how you put your self through college or made money, say you just handled PC repair in your area and charged X amount per PC
>>
How do you know it, did you go to school for it, did you have a previous job?
>>
>>18428051
Maybe, yeah. I did work for a best buy for a while back, and I bounced between home theatre, geek squad, and the pc section for a while, even though home theatre was where I was assigned. I've been building/fixing computers and home networks since I was like, 10. I've probably built 20-30 computers to date, for friends and family, and I've kept them working since they were first turned on. I can't say I did any of it for money, mainly because I just enjoy building it, but I can always say I did. And the Best Buy bit, I can probably stretch the truth and say I worked for geek squad and the computer department as well - wouldn't be too terribly wrong, a lot of the reps from other departments, GS and PCs included came to me to ask questions about stuff.

Question is, how do I sell that?
>>
File: 1488252882854.png (922KB, 900x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1488252882854.png
922KB, 900x1000px
>>18428117
>I can't say I did any of it for money
>but I can always say I did
>>
>>18428117

>how do i sell that

by writing it on your resume and then when they ask about it answering the questions.
>>
>>18428121
Huh? I built their computers because it was fun, free of charge. I don't have to tell anyone that they didn't pay me to do it.

>>18428122
Alright. So how do I go about the lack of certifications, or government clearance? I think DoD clearance can only be gained by an employer clearing you to get clearance.
>>
>>18428194

>huh

i was pointing out the irony of what you said, i understood your context i was just pointing out how funny it was that they contradicted each other on a literal level.

>how do i go about the lack of certifications

again like i said originally say you had your own littleb usiness. it wasn't a real business thats just how you made your money.
>>
File: Photo May 10, 2 38 33 AM.jpg (399KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Photo May 10, 2 38 33 AM.jpg
399KB, 1920x1080px
>>18428204
I'm not sure I see the contradiction, but okay. Do you think MSCA or any sort of Windows Server certs would be applicable or related to a Network+ cert?

Any ideas on clearances too?

No lie, if I landed this fucking job, this would put me in the clear, so if I sound annoying, its only because this would be wonderful to have. Not going to jump off a bridge if I don't get it, but this job looks like I have everything for it, save a few things.
>>
>>18428219

you didn't make any ACTUAL issue, it was just a funny use of words that made a contradiction if taken literally

remove the context and what you said is
>I can't say I did any of it for money
>but I can always say I did
>>
>>18428219

>any ideas on clearances

no. if you can't get them you can't fake them
>>
>>18428194
So if the certification is required qualification for the job, then you are disqualified.
If certification is "preferred" qualification, you shouldn't bring it up on your application.
Look at the ad and make a list of things they are looking for...independent or ability to work with others or whatever.
Focus on the things they are looking for. Example: Independent - You ran your own business
Ability to work with others - you worked at Best Buy
Get it?

Lack of "preferred" credentials should be left to explain if they interview you.
Lying about certification is not a good idea for sure.
>>
File: 1497404393820.jpg (574KB, 587x978px) Image search: [Google]
1497404393820.jpg
574KB, 587x978px
>>18428222
Oh, yeah, sorry, that's just how I speak IRL a lot, so that comes across on the internet as normal for me. Sorry I didn't catch it, I'm tired as fuck all today.

>>18428224
Oh no, no fucking way am I messing with faking any government-issued documents. I need the FBIs arm up my ass like I need a gangrene dick.

No fucking thank you.
I was reading up on how to get said clearances though, and it seems like the only way is to, like I said above, have an employer clear you to get clearance, meaning I'd have been hired by that point, or so close to hiring that this was the final step before I could sign the line.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.