[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I don't think my humor is that funny. Is there any good

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: 1497345274218.jpg (163KB, 347x289px) Image search: [Google]
1497345274218.jpg
163KB, 347x289px
I don't think my humor is that funny. Is there any good source I should look for to help me with this?
>>
I don't think there is any basic thing you can read that will help you to compleatly change a fundamental part of your personality.

What is your humor like? I guarantee there are at least some people on this site that share it.
>>
A dry, somewhat surreal and sarcastic gallows style of wit works well.
>>
>>18426376
Here is a comic I made. Not sure what but I don't find it that funny.
>>
>>18426391
I don't get it.
Anyway coming up with a joke from scratch can be hard it's not so much a problem of your humor not being good. In fact I would say there would be more of a problem if you wrote that and then found it funny.
What is your humor like when you are just riffing off other people in conversations and such? What kind of comedians/films/comics etc do you find funny and which do you not find funny?
>>
>>18426432
I can't think what I find funny at the moment. Dark humor is one of them. Here is a comic I made if it helps find what is wrong with it. Thank you for your time.
>>
>>18426479
Again I don't get it. There doesn't seem to be a joke. He invented a gun but guns already exist? You wouldn't expect to see a gun on a kids show? The faces are drawn funny? You need more than that. Unless I'm missing something.
>>
>>18426479

More surreal content would be good. Think of the strangeness of the early Spongebob episodes that had the gross closeups, or the likes of Ren and Stimpy.
>>
>>18426479
Hmm, have you read "Understanding Comics" by Scott McCloud? Any other books on comics?

Seems like you need some help with composition.
This isn't an insult or something you should feel bad over because it's 100% fixable. Framing the comics correctly is invaluable, whether or not you're going for a comedic effect.
>>
>>18426535
I have not seen this book but I take a look at it. Thank you for your help!
>>
>>18426479
Sorry for the incoming wall of text, but i'll hope it will be useful.

In this case the intention is clearer than in the previous comic, although there is some trouble because the punchline is really undertoned.

In most cases, a classic gag features a set-up (something happens, wich helps the reader make an assumption) and a payoff (something breaks that assumption, wich causes humor).

Without context, the fact that this scientist "invented" an already existing gun is not very funny, since there are no panels that set-up the following action.

Since you can't make an assumption unless you know those characters before reading the comic, the following frame can only be understood as a punchline by those who watch Villanous, because they already have the set-up established by knowing what the character usually does.

A good set-up in this case would be to show BlackHat unsatisfied by Dr. Flug's inventions because they aren't "deadly enough". This way, when you show the gun, the exagerated faces accentuate how simple the solution to the problem was in the first place.

My advice for you would be to work on building a set-up in 2 or 3 pannels, and break it in a way that defies expectations in the next, even if you use characters that already exist.

TL;DR Work on set-up and payoff, a punchline doesn't work if the reader can't make an early assumption about it.
>>
>>18427030
Thank you anon
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.