[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm going into University and I'm deciding between

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (95KB, 417x625px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
95KB, 417x625px
I'm going into University and I'm deciding between a Maths or History degree. I'd probably enjoy the history course more, but maths would be useful for a job. Which one should I take?
>>
File: brazilianbeauty.jpg (65KB, 800x683px) Image search: [Google]
brazilianbeauty.jpg
65KB, 800x683px
study something useful and read your history books in your freetime as a hobby
>>
>>18424847
If your degree is math, maybe it wont be as useful.
Try something very related to math, like for example physiscs or any kind of science that includes mathematics. Normally, a career that has very broad opportunities is better, but math is just way too broad. I would suggest you choose an engineering or something of the sorts.
Well, thats what I believe, I don't know how things work out in your country regarding jobs. It would be nice to know some more if it would help
>>
>>18424862
Listen to this
>>
>>18424847
History is one of the most useless degrees. It will not transfer worldwide, because history you learn is centric to your region. It will not translate to anything other than teaching or research.
>>
>>18424923
Or tourism. Hell, you might just want to study tourism if you want a piece of history, that is if your country has various tourist attractions. My country luckily has a lot of them, but there are some that are not so well know for having amazing places to go to.
>>
>>18424847
I'm a total history freak but know, that i'd probably end up unemployed studying that so instead i choose to become a high school teacher. In my country you take 2 subjects; for me one of them is obviously history. So i can do waht i enjoy, while still having a reasonable, steady job.
>>
>>18424862
OP here, what about statistics?
>>
>>18425526
You have to be in the top like 10-20% of maths majpr to get a decent statistics jobs relating to your degree that's not actuary
Any STEM degree can lead to actuary qualifications as far as I know.
>>
>>18425526
Degree in statistics? I did not know that was an actual degree you could get, at lest its not as popular here.

If you like a little bit of business, you can get into finance which is a lot of numbers.
If you like a bit of science, you can get in any engineering degree which often include physics and chimestry; which one you choose depends entirely on your preference.

I mean you can do math degree if you choose to, but I believe its a study on a subject that's way too abstract for it to be applied into the real world frequently (I do respect I high level of understanding of mathematics tho).

What I believe you can do, and what most people should do, is to follow their dreams, but do it smartly.

If you like math and history, then by all means pursue it, but try getting a degree on something related but way more reliable, which you can find jobs, not necessarily easy to find, but at least easier than say a literature degree. After that, you can pursue your dreams in some way, make time for it, get a masters degree on what you like, hell you can even study at university again and have two different degrees.
Study something viable and, in a way, safe; so you can hold yourself together. After that make plans and follow what you love. Hell, who knows, the career you choose first might actually end up being another interest (for example, civil engineering or mechanical engineering).
Find out about the job rates of people with certain degrees in you country, how useful that degree can be where you live. And see what's better for yourself.
Also, don't try to lie to yourself if you find out your dream degree is not as viable as you think, I almost studied a degree which is almost useless because I constantly did that. Be honest with yourself.

Remember anon, don't take my word as gospel, but keep it in mind. Only you know where to guide your life. Think long term and good luck my nigga.
>>
It really depends OP, if you for sure want a job after you graduate you're going to have to pair it with another field like CS, Chem, or Applied Physics.

If you don't do this you can def get a great teaching position, assuming you get top marks and enjoy publishing Mathematics papers.

I'm less familiar with the History route in academia, but given that you'd be writing a lot of papers that require necessary citation that alone is a skill which may set you up for law school. Just don't study "gender history" or any nonsense like that.

goodluck OP, also go learn Microsoft Excel stuff while you're at it
>>
As someone currently doing a maths degree, if you can't fully commit to it and don't truly enjoy it, the course can screw you over massively
>>
So what about a joint honours degree? It seems the best of both worlds, but there has to be some unspoken draw back
>>
>>18426720
Listen to this, especially the excel part. You can land A LOT of jobs just by learning how to use Microsoft Excel properly. Maybe not the highest paying job, but a job nonetheless. Also it's not very hard to do so.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.