[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Boss complains I only work 9-5 when others stay around later

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: 1412886478826.jpg (48KB, 511x511px) Image search: [Google]
1412886478826.jpg
48KB, 511x511px
>Boss complains I only work 9-5 when others stay around later
>I automated a lot of my tasks to get all my work done by 5
>Boss still wants me to stay late, to create work if necessary

How can I fake it guys
>>
Don't bother. You're not legally required to stay past your timeslot and he legally can't ask you to stay overtime.
>>
>>18417962

is he paying you for overtime? if so, id probably just dick around on facebook or what have you during the day just to stay late and make more money.

im at work right now.
>>
>>18417968
>>18417974

These. If he's asking you to work more hours than what's in your job description, and he's no paying you overtime, fuck him.

If he makes a big deal out of it, talk to HR.

Make sure you keep records of these conversations with him, just in case. Ideally you would have it in writing that he asked you to do that.
>>
>>18417962
just tell him you've done all the work required. don't fake it just tell him
>>
>>18417962
If your tasks for the day are done, then you obviously done.

No need to fake it to fit it with the others who might be too incompetent or brown nosing.
If your boos is wise, he'd understand. If not, shit you're not required to do overtime without extra pay and shit don't let him walk over you.
>>
>>18417968
>>18417974
Salary position so no OT. My letter of offer does not state work hours but I don't that that means they can enforce me to work more than 40h, does it?

These are all verbal meetings. Be awkward to ask for it in writing without it looking like I'm baiting them into a trap.
>>
>>18418015

thats hard to say, if your contract doesn't clarify then im not sure what that would imply. they could potentially fire you for not 'working enough' but i really dont know.

id stand my ground on this. if you can get to the end of the day and say 'is there anything in particular you need me to do?' and the answer is 'no' then go home.

its a dangerous precendent though as they can create more work just to keep you later. honestly they sound like awful employers im really glad i got my job right now
>>
>>18418015
Call HR and ask them what the company policy is on how many hours you should be working.
>>
>>18417962
Does he know you've automated your shit? I mean, he must, if he's asking you to create work, but does he really understand?

You should offer to automate everyone else's shit for your 'extra work', then laugh in six months when everyone is going home on time.

>>18418062
This is good advice.
>>
>>18417962

This is a dangerous environment to be in. More time spent in the office does not equal more productivity.

Can I ask what you do for a living? If I were in your shoes I would have a candid sit-down with my boss and ask for what the expected work hours are in the office, and explain that I have some kind of commitment (dog, family, tae-bo class) that needs to be tended to at a reasonable time. That you're very willing to put in the extra hard work to complete projects, but you need to fairly set an expectation of when you're going to be in the office.

If there's still the contention that you need to stay late at that point and "create work," you may need to involve HR or seek other employment.
>>
>>18418105
Regional manager.
I oversee a region in a different timezone, so I don't mind working later if I can start later. That option was denied.

Expected work hours unofficially here is 8 to 6/7 from what I see. Boss will say 9 to 5 but expects you to put in extra time. I work with a lot of old fogies, so they have a slightly slower work speed than I.

I stay late when there's projects or time sensitive work to be done, but that shit seems to get overlooked due to the fact I leave on time normally.

Been here for about half a year now, at this point, I'm looking to just get to the 1yr mark to out on my resume and leave. I don't mind putting in time for a reason, but to stay just to say I did is stupid.
>>
>>18418125

id wait it out then. a regional manager sounds like something they wont replace lightly and you can likely last the year.

you can also be up front.

>tell me if there's anything you think isn't getting done and i will gladly put in the time to do it, but if not, I am not working extra hours, you hired me to do a specific job and im doing it.

i had a similar point to make at my own work place. boss called and i said 'not much just bored' and he said 'well start looking for busy work for you to do'. i had to be straight up and tell him i refuse to do busy work. he was understanding and treats me like a partner. at this point in our relationship the idea of 'hours' is really more of a guideline for when there is work to be done.

but in times like now where there isn't much to do i can leave early or come in late or take days off or what have you.
>>
>>18418139
See that's the thing. My boss even told me during our quiet seasons (now) that she tends to let people leave early, as we get our work done sooner.

The other month, I had to take half a day off for an appointment. When the appointment was running behind a few hours, I emailed in and said I'll work from home. Beats coming to the office for an hour or two and leaving right?

Nope, my coworkers told me that was a bad move. It would've been perceived better to come to work for that short time, instead of working at home and catching up with the extra time I have.

Maybe I'm too new school, entitled, or whatever but I know my work style is definitely clashing with the older corporate culture here.
>>
>>18418192

things are certainly changing, some in good ways some in bad. whats important is that if you arent a lowly employee, you should stand your ground.

my boss would be lost without me, so he knows when i say something that its gotta stick. in return i dont abuse that power.

its hard to get that with older corporate styles but its changing.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.