[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can anyone help me set this up and solve? Consider the 52.0-kg

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: physics.png (128KB, 420x456px) Image search: [Google]
physics.png
128KB, 420x456px
Can anyone help me set this up and solve?

Consider the 52.0-kg mountain climber in Figure 5.22. (a)
Find the tension in the rope and the force that the mountain
climber must exert with her feet on the vertical rock face to
remain stationary. Assume that the force is exerted parallel to
her legs. Also, assume negligible force exerted by her arms.
(b) What is the minimum coefficient of friction between her
shoes and the cliff?
>>
sum of all forces must equal zero on the woman
T + W + Fwall = 0
split into x and y components and solve
>>
Also keep in mind that friction scales with force applied perpendicular to the surface, so you'll have to use the Flegs, some trig and this 15 degree angle to calculate that.
>>
>>18415796
But what about N force extending opposite of Flegs?
>>
>>18415815
Is there anyway you could show me?

Would weight be straight down, opposite of T, or would it
>>
>>18415815
>>18415796
When I do this I get

X -comp
Fcos15 = Tsin31

Y-comp
Fsin15+Tcos31=509.6N

I don't know where to continue
>>
>>18415839
bump
>>
File: CalculusWasAMistake.jpg (106KB, 720x561px) Image search: [Google]
CalculusWasAMistake.jpg
106KB, 720x561px
>>18415783
The tension and the force from her legs are both at angles, so you separate these into components. You know that the force excreted by her legs in the y direction must be equal to the force of tension in the y direction and her weight ,since the system is in equilibrium.

For the friction part you know that her legs must provide a certain amount of force for the system to be in equilibrium. This force is provided by friction, thus you can derive the coefficient of friction from this.
>>
>>18415839
solve the 2 simultaneous equations. You have 2 unknowns and 2 eqns, so you will get a unique answer for F and T.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.