[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Be 21 >Living with parents, they're helping me with

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: 1494637434236.jpg (54KB, 546x896px)
1494637434236.jpg
54KB, 546x896px
>Be 21
>Living with parents, they're helping me with college
>Live with 2 brothers (27, and 16) and 1 sister (11)
>Finished my first college semester with a solid 3.0 GPA (Best I've ever done in school in my life because before college I was an edgelord that said fuck school)
>Just recently began to hear my mom talking to my grandmother (Who lives with us) and her other friends about divorcing my dad
>NotThisShiteAgain.jpg
>I'm kinda worried that she's serious, and that if she does we might get fucked financially
>HOWEVER I'm not going to get involved and make my mom suffer out of financial need. Because it is their relationship.

So here's my dilemma...

>Might need to get a job to help family out along with brother
>I REALLY don't do well when both work AND school are involved. I have tried and is impossible since I place more importance on one thing than the other.

Should I get a job and just forget school for the time being?

Or should I proceed to enlist in the air force so that way...

1.) I can't be a burden to my family financially with college
2.) Get help with college
3.) Become financially independent

I know things would be heavy for my mom and older brother if the divorce goes through. So I just want them to have the least amount of weight possible.

What do?

>Inb4 "You shouldn't be living with your mom blah blah blah"

I know I shouldn't but I really want to get my degree, and my parents offered me free rent housing, AND college.

What would you do /adv/?

I'm heavily considering going air force at this point.
>>
If you have zero work experience, you're going to find it very difficult to get a job when you finish uni, especially if the best you can do is a 3.0 GPA. Getting a job will help you in more ways than one. If you can't cope with both, take a lighter workload of classes and take an extra semester or two to finish. No shame in that.
>>
Well congrats because this post shows you're already mature enough to handle the situation by yourself. Just some thoughts:

1. Don't worry about the divorce until it actually happens. My mom used to talk about divorcing dad when he wasn't around. Well they're still together now.

2. There's no shame in taking breaks from school to make money. Talk to your advisor to see if this is possible. You might also be able to take a much lighter course load.

3. If you think your mother is serious about getting a divorce, talk to her about it. Ask her if she plans on supporting you.

4. Airforce is a great idea and would actually open up a lot of job opportunities after you graduate if you're doing engineering. Look into this on the side.
>>
Welcome to the real world. Going to school and working is hard, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

Look for something that's manageable if working is too hard to juggle. Sometimes less pay is worth an easier job.
>>
File: 4502f8b1dfa03bb9858465cc91140d99.jpg (206KB, 1080x1350px) Image search: [Google]
4502f8b1dfa03bb9858465cc91140d99.jpg
206KB, 1080x1350px
>>18410414
I actually do have work experience. My dad (I love him to death but he's the type to never be satisfied with anything I do. This means he bitches at me for loving video games) Hooked me up with a gig in the airport he works at, it pays between $13-$15 an hour, all I need is a driver's license. (I used to live in Chicago, owing a car there is really unnecessary)

>>18410416
Well shit, thanks man. I assumed I was just being a selfish little prick for not wanting to rough it out with my family. I hope you're right about point 1 honestly. I'll more than likely be taking breaks, since my family can't cope much with the cost. If I can't let go of school I'll just take lesser classes. And yes I agree on point 4. I was deciding on doing TACP, but something along the electrical engineering path would be much more rewarding. Thanks anon

>>18410417
I agree, probably something along the lines of retail or just work with my dad.
>>
>>18410416
Not OP, but...
The Air Force has interested me for a long time. What I'm pursuing in school is wholly unapplicable in it (though I do want it to relate to my ultimate career goal). What things outside of engineering does it offer?
>>
>>18410442
sorry, i know for a fact that a lot of engineering jobs especially at those large defense contractor companies love to hire engineers with military experience because they almost always get security clearance with ease. but i don't know about other fields. i will say that if im reviewing resume and you have military experience it'd definitely be a plus no matter the industry, with the exception of some companies in the silicon valley
>>
>>18410446
Do you know if there's a specific career that could help me get in the electrical engineering field?
>>
>>18410464
if you have military experience, defense contractors and defense related companies will just love you (NSA and CIA are more likely to consider you seriously too) since you're almost certainly getting that security clearance and it looks good on the companies. you may not be able to do electrical engineering work after you get hired, but not a lot of people get to use what they learned in school anyway. applying for these positions is not as simple as it might sound, tho. because these defense companies are pretty old school in that a lot of new hires get in through people (i.e. introductions, word of mouth, referrals). if you intend on getting that military experience on top of your ee degree, i'd focus on building networks.

sorry if im not being too specific. i graduated with ee and looked into getting a job at these large companies. i was introduced to a manager, who told me how beneficial it would be for me to get some military experience under my belt if im considering working in this world. i ultimately decided against it and left for the tech industry in the bay area.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.