[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I landed a job as a dishwasher 10 days ago and the anxiety is

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: 1454035373675.jpg (446KB, 900x636px) Image search: [Google]
1454035373675.jpg
446KB, 900x636px
I landed a job as a dishwasher 10 days ago and the anxiety is killing me. I suck at it and I'm scared I might get fired.
What are the best tips to go fast? I don't have any machines btw.
>>
>those green wirey brillo pads.
you should be able to get cooked on chili out of a hot well pan in no time with one of those. note that you will have callouses in no time and it stops hurting then. also
>no machines
good cause then you have to clean everything, then put it through the machine, then wait on it, then fix the stupid machine, then finally get the like 20 or whatever number of cups the tray holds, out.

see if you can beat my best time to a low management position of, I think it was like 2-3 months. do it. you got this. stop being a dishwasher fast.
>>
>>18403766
>scared i might get fired
Who cares op? It is just a job. Just try your best.
>>
>>18403766
>I landed a job as a dishwasher 10 days ago and the anxiety is killing me

it's killing me, too.
>>
soak stuff you can't scrub off super easily, then wash things you can while they soak.
>>
Hot water

Use way too much dish soap

Change out your water at least once per shift, you'll get a feel for when it's getting too cold / too dirty to do a good job with

Steel scrubbers. Grab another when they start to get too grimy. I used 2 per 6 hour shift when I was working in a restaurant. Peel all of the hardened crap off with em, and then use running water / dishcloth to make it look nice.

You can treat anything that the cooks use pretty roughly, don't be gentle to the pots and pans. Scrub harder, and faster. Some things wont come off without first being soaked; lay these in the bottom of your washing sink. If all else fails, I've had to pry off some bits of food that got baked on to cookware with a butter knife.

In general just improving your co ordination and manual dexterity can help a lot. Look at your sink like you're a doctor performing Triage; that is to say, make priorities and know what your next few steps are going to be.
>>
>>18403766
pro dishwasher here

>organise your plates / cutlery / cups / kitchen utensils across the bench (this is key)
>soak, soak, soak (~10-15 mins in hot water) and then most of the stuff will spray off with minimal amounts of scrubbing.

Work smart, not fast (I easily do over 400-500 people per shift by myself + change over, etc.). It took me about a month to get the hang of things. I managed to learn from the best / smartest dishwasher there, so I suggest you do the same or hell even asks some of the cooks / chefs there because they would have started out as a dishwasher and they'll understand since you're new.
>>
>>18403789
>stop being a dishwasher fast.
This
This will be my seventh fucking year doing this shit job. I fucking hate it but the pay is decent and so are the hours.
>>
>>18403766
Don't worry, we expect the dishwashers to be shit. Just try to get fast as soon as you can.
>>
Do people really slave as dishwashers for years before getting another shit entry level job in the kitchen? I thought this was a meme
>>
I don't want to hijack this thread, but I got a temp job at a debt collection agency, it's really not something I wanna work in, but it pays better than my current job.
Do I bring up my moral doubts to the boss?
>>
>>18404025
That's how life is when you are born poor and never cultivate any advanced skills.
>>
>>18404043
Do you want to have the better pay? A job is a job, morals or no.
>>
>>18403766
Do you fluently speak the same primary language as your boss and coworkers? If yes, you've already got a leg up on a lot of dishwashers.

Better speed will come with practice, which is shitty to say when you're starting out and you've got the whole place chewing you out to pick up the pace NOW because they need that shit right away, but if you talk to them at the end of the night during clean up, they should be a lot more chill than in the heat of the moment and let you know it's nothing personal, they just count on you to keep up so everybody else can do their own jobs.

As a server, I just want to say, thankyou for taking the job seriously. Dishwashers are one of those assets to the team that are treated as expendable until you realize how much shittier things can go without one, or with one that doesn't give a fuck. Getting dishwashing down right really makes everything go so much smoother.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.