[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /adv/, I come to you once more for some friend advice!

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: 19022594.jpg (184KB, 1134x756px) Image search: [Google]
19022594.jpg
184KB, 1134x756px
Hey /adv/, I come to you once more for some friend advice!

First of all: I'm male, 24yo, stem student.
2 months ago I stopped talking to my best friend (at the time) of 3 years. Because of some shit that went down, I had spent the past 3 years being a depressed mess, staying inside and putting every responsibility I had on hold (or at least trying to), including my health, my classes, and most importantly, my socializing. My friend kept me good company these 3 years, since we would meet up every week, play vidya, and smoke pot. He would generally help me do nothing very well. I first met him at the start of that depressive period when I was looking for weed and, as time went by, we ended up spending a lot of time together (I didn't have other friends and I didn't really want any at the time).
In any case, for the past 6 or so months I've started putting in some decent effort in bettering myself. I've dropped back on my vidya time, attended my classes, looked after my health, went abroad for a week and had a wonderful time, even took up a new hobby!
Unfortunately, with these steps came the realization that I expected too much from my friend - turns out he wouldn't be much help after all. Our company started suffering from that (at least to me), and I started conciously avoiding spending time with him. This situation went off 2 months ago, when I made one of my bigger changes yet - I quit smoking. I met up with this friend and his (non-)reaction to my progress made me so mad I completely stopped talking to him the next day. I realize now that it was kind of a knee-jerk reaction from my part, but at the time it seemed like my only option. I realized that he would hold me back at a critical point in my life, and I thought that talking to him wouldn't be any help (I had already shown to him I was getting tired of him and his actions lately - didn't really phase him, he kept getting on my nerves).
>>
File: 1465787719314.jpg (55KB, 640x572px) Image search: [Google]
1465787719314.jpg
55KB, 640x572px
Anyways, 2 months have passed without a word from my side. He has made plenty of attempts to communicate, and just today he sent a message to my sister asking if I was ok, which put him back in my mind. I thought that he would have said "fuck it" by now, but turns out I was wrong. Now, on one side I don't regret my decision to cut communications - I have changed and I don't see how I could have him as such a close friend anymore. I found him lacking on some aspects that I considered too important, like support. On the other hand, however, I feel like I took some unwarranted measures, and I don't really feel like I need to completely cut him off. I have been tangled with some fucked up people in the past, and, while this friend has his negatives, I don't think he is a "bad person" or that he deserves all this I put him through. After all, we did spend plenty of time together these 3 years, and while I've grown to expect more, I don't feel like I need to completely burn that bridge. I have done a bunch of self-reflection recently, and I've concluded that my socializing needs a lot of work - that includes maintaining a wide social circle and not just cutting off everyone.
So, wat do /adv/? How do I contact this dude again and get back in touch without him just telling me to fuck off for disappearing? How do I handle this situation and try to keep him in my social circle without completely cutting him off and without becoming "too close" friends again?
Everytime I've been in this dilemma in the past I picked the disappearence route, so I really don't know how to go about talking again to him and trying to make amends. I really don't want to lie or make unneeded apologies to him - I could tell him I've been abroad after all, and it's partly true, but I wanna avoid the bullshit as much as possible.

Thanks in advance to anyone who reads this!
>>
>>18401647
damn she's so pretty.
>>
Sometimes your life goes in a different direction than your friends. It happens to everyone.

The best thing you can so is be honest with him. Tell him that you appreciate him sticking by you through your worst moments, and that his friendship helped you pull through and make a positive change, and that you will forever be grateful for that..

BUT, he has to realize that some of these changes you've made might not sit well with him - so explain that you want him to be happy for you because it's in part thanks to him that you pulled yourself out of a shitty period in your life.

Showing him gratitude and explaining the reason behind your change in behavior will mean the world to him, allow you to keep your friendship and still continue to better yourself.

He stuck by you, so you can return the favor. All friendships go through rough periods. It's worth it to stick it out
>>
>>18401658
Thanks a lot for the reply mate, that was fast!
So, you'd suggest that I act straightforward and honest with him, explain to him why I've been gone and what I've been thinking, and hope for the best? I'm trying to formulate what I'm gonna message him, as I want to maintain a balance and not let this devolve into a blame game, or just exchange a couple of fuckyous and stop talking permanently. I got lots of things of his that I could point out that caused me to get mad and stop communicating, but I'm not looking to correct him or his behavior after all - I've concluded that I'm not looking for him to change, but for our friendship. On the other hand, I don't want to get shit on for disappearing, and that looks like a legitimate possibility at this point. What would you say?
Again, thanks for the help, appreciate it!
>>
>>18401715

I think you should apologize for the lack of communication. You said yourself you took unwarranted measures.

Be humble about it and make sure he knows his friendship is still valuable to you. It's not about who did what. It's about keeping someone in your life who, although they have pissed you off in the past, has nonetheless been a good friend to you.

Make him understand why what he did made you feel that way while still expressing that you want to stay friends. I'm sure he will understand as long as you emphasize your gratitude and apologize for being harsh with him.
>>
>my best friend
>who I met in college

lmao what a pathetic life
all my friends i've known them since I was 4 fucking years old, even the girls

Not nurturing your old friendships and keeping them as your best friends is a massive fucking red flag
>>
>>18401850
Yeah, I get what you mean. To be honest, I haven't really made up my mind as to what I want my friendship to be with the guy. I do wanna get back in touch and the scenario where he's back in my circle sounds good at first, but, after all, the reasons I stopped talking to him are still there. Then again, I can't just keep avoiding him forever, so I guess coming clean is my best call. I just have to decide where I wanna go from there.

>>18402665
>all my friends i've known them since I was 4 fucking years old, even the girls
That's ok if you are still in highschool, or if you have never left your hometown. I've got a handful of good friends I've kept in touch with since forever, but life has taken its due course and most of them are currently studying abroad (including a good friend that I've known since before we went to primary school, and is now studying 6000 kilometers away), so I get to see them every couple of months at best. Judging by your post, you have probably yet to go to college, so you'll probably see what I'm talking about in a couple of years.
Otherwise, damn dude, you need to evolve. Still chilling with the same people from kindergarden? Have you met other people? at all?
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.