[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I feel like I'm bullshitting my way through college. Senior

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

File: 1496705025544.jpg (65KB, 680x680px) Image search: [Google]
1496705025544.jpg
65KB, 680x680px
I feel like I'm bullshitting my way through college.

Senior business major. Most my coursework involves reading textbooks I don't understand, and then bullshitting on essays about subjects I don't comprehend. I have a 3.2 GPA (trying to get a 3.5 or better before graduating, probably will desu) so it's working at least, but yeah.

Basically I'm terrified of getting a post-school job and then instantly drowning. I've certainly learned a ton, and don't regret school thus far, but the amount of stuff I throw out that I myself don't understand is only increasing.

This is an example. It's a discussion board thread I made about international accounting practices...

"Depending on the nature of business, a company must choose a valuation method that will reflect their true position. Each of the methods discussed have their merits and demerits. I found the current-cost adjustment method used by Infosys to be the most effective. Under this method, the company’s assets and liabilities are stated at their value. This method puts into consideration the results that might be achieved using the resources available. The ever-rising costs of resources is considered, and that works to ensure that profitability is achieved without stressing the company’s resources."

What does it mean? Fuck if I know! But I wrote it. I'm also considering making digital copies of my digital textbooks to go back and re-read them.
>>
>>18401173
Don't worry about it. I got a business degree with a concentration in marketing. I work for a marketing agency. I have applied zero textbook skills to my work. You're going to find out that your coursework has little to do with the real world. It's the method behind the madness that matters. Writing strong papers, good communication/negotiation skills, how to argue or pick apart a problem, etc.
>>
File: 1475720842911.gif (993KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
1475720842911.gif
993KB, 1600x900px
>>18401176
You've reassured me a bit, thanks.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you're basically saying "knowing the answer isn't important. It's being able to find the answer when given information."
>>
>>18401189
100% accurate.
>>
>>18401173
You wrote about understanding the overall fiscal value/standing of a company and an efficient, much-practiced practice used to understand and evaluate it. Watch some Shark tank or some shit in your free time.

There is no secret here. You get what you give when it comes to researching concepts like business, economics, the sciences, etc. You're researching capitalist systems and the manner/ecosystem in which they operate so as to join said ecosystem and hopefully drive or facilitate the process. The more you familiarize yourself with this process, the more efficient you will be. But you need to need to understand this system.

If you love it, you will restructure your brain so that all of those concepts you're learning become second nature. Surround yourself with business related media, such as television shows, youtube channels, and books. Find mentors and people that you can aspire to be like, such as Tony Robbins, Mark Cuban or Gary Vaynerchuk.

Essentially, life in the first world is figuring out the thing that inspires you to bottomless curiosity and fulfillment. Even if for you that isn't business, you should probably finish the degree, both because of how close you are and the general utility of the provided knowledge in the modern world. But you should try to evaluate the value of the degree in your life in the first place. Place it somewhere in the story, and be selfish about it. Take what you can, weaponize what you can, and forge a path.
>>
>>18401173
>Most my coursework involves reading textbooks I don't understand, and then bullshitting on essays about subjects I don't comprehend.

A pretty accurate assessment of a business degree. You are not going to learn anything of value in any of your classes. But you will learn a basic vocabulary of concepts, and that may be enough.

The first thing you will discover in any job is that NO company does things the textbook way, anyway, so they will spend the first several weeks un-teaching you the textbooks and teaching you their way of doing things. Your classes will enable you to understand what they're talking about. And that is just about all they're good for.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.