[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I feel like a horrible person despite doing the right thing ever

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: Two_Face_6711.jpg (117KB, 640x416px) Image search: [Google]
Two_Face_6711.jpg
117KB, 640x416px
I found a wallet the other day on the side of a desk in a public place, I immediately held on to it and my immediate reaction was to keep it in my hand and look around and I had this incredibly strong urge to steal and keep the wallet yet a part of me said that if I did I would corrupt myself.
I went as far as going to the bathroom and checking the content of the wallet and finding there were no significant amount of notes for me to keep save for some coins and some cards which I didn't bother checking.
I gave back the wallet to the receptionist, yet deep down I felt the evil in me.

This happened before as well when I found a phone at work, I kept it and had the constant urge to steal it but because I had immediately told another collegue upon finding the phone that I saw it. I was afraid he would tell my collegue though chances were low.

I feel like I only gave back the wallet because it was empty and the phone because I didn't want to be caught. I feel cowardly and weak, and not a sign or strength of good character...
What do you guys think?

My mother always taught me to do the right thing and I'd like to stick to that principle but why do I constantly feel this evil? why is it that I feel so wrong about myself?
Thank you..
>>
>>18401115
I think this is b8 but I'm bored so I'll respond anyways. When anyone picks up a wallet, they will have desire to take the money.It's not evil, it's basic self preservation instincts. You'd have to be retarded not to have the desire to take the money and keep it. That being said, feelings and desires don't define a person. Decisions do. It doesn't matter if you did the right thing for the wrong reasons. All that matters is that you did the right thing.
>>
>>18401156
This wasn't a troll post and you answered my question rather beautifully for which I must say thank you. :)
>>
>>18401156
The thing that bothers me is that there is a deep sense of underlying fear that the wrong reasons could somehow one day overcome the purpose driven inside my heart and that is to do the right thing.
You see maybe self-preservation and money may be the defining aspect for many, but for me that simply isn't true. I don't equate money with self-preservation simply because I believe in a higher purpose driven by my core self and that is to continuously do the right thing and those that are driven by my heart. To me, it isn't retarded to not want to keep money from the wallet simply because I understand that the money inside is not me and thus must be returned to the rightful possessor of that money. I think that is basic human etiquette fused with a deep sense of empathy.
I do not believe money is equivalent to self-preservation because I know deep down none of us really are alone.
This philosophy may contradict yours, but to me that is what drives me forward in life. And I hope you see why then do these thoughts bug me so much.
Thank you so much though.
>>
>>18401115
You feel guilty because you believe if the wallet had money in it, you would have taken it. Guilt like any emotion is good when it causes you to examine your actions but when it goes too far and you end up feeling even more negative emotions like doubt or shame, it's not good. Temptation is a reality of life and the reality is you found a wallet, and you turned in it. You did the right thing so rest on that reality and don't worry about the hypotheticals. You know what kind of person you want to be, so let your actions reflect that even in situations where it isn't convenient. It is not wrong to be tempted, but it is wrong to fall into temptation. Maybe one day you will find a wallet full of cash, steal it, and feel the heavy burden of guilt and shame. That day hasn't come yet so don't worry about it.
>>
>>18401331
Not fall into temptation, but fall TO temptation. A subtle but important difference
>>
YEDAHOLLETSYBTV
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.