[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello I'm doing self-study and i don't understand

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

File: Math-1.jpg (52KB, 1024x512px) Image search: [Google]
Math-1.jpg
52KB, 1024x512px
Hello

I'm doing self-study and i don't understand how to calculate this

There is bilingual country, 74% population speaks french and 62% speaks german, How many percent speaks both languages?
>>
bump this cant be homework since it's summer
>>
pls help
>>
>>18400977

You gotta start by calculating the percentage of people who only speak one language
>>
>>18400977
74 + 62 = 136

136 - 100 = 36

So I'm guessing 36%
>>
File: Intersection_of_sets_A_and_B.svg.png (145KB, 2000x1531px) Image search: [Google]
Intersection_of_sets_A_and_B.svg.png
145KB, 2000x1531px
>>18400977
hint hint
It's best that you figure this out by yourself OP
otherwise a difficult and harsh future awaits you.
>>
>>18401004
Obviously 74% and 62% add up to more than 1 whole, so I'm assuming the surplus must be billingual. Thoughts?
>>
>>18401005
Well that much is obvious but I enjoy the competition in these "who can solve the fairly simple problem first" scenarios. So who gives a fuck about OP
>>
>>18401006

The result is correct but I don't know if you understand why though
>>
>>18401010
Enlighten me?
>>
>>18400977
100% - 74% = 26% who don't speak German
If the 26% speak French, 62% - 26% = 36% who are bilingual

In a situation where only two languages are spoken the answer is 36% are bilingual

In a situation where more than 2 languages are spoken then at least 36% are bilingual

Hope this helps
>>
This isn't a math question, it's a logic question. You can't calculate, exactly, how many people speak both languages from that information. It can be anywhere between 36% and 62%.
>>
>>18401030
Thank you, this answer makes sense
>>
>>18401034
Good point. I knew our answers were missing something.
>>
>>18401034
>It can be anywhere between 36% and 62%
nope

>You can't calculate, exactly, how many people speak both languages from that information

You can, and this is a 6th grade question.

>>18401044
There was mistake in that post
74% speaks french means other 26% don't speak French, country has only 2 languages so the other 26% must speak only German. 62% speaks German, so 62 - 26 = 36% bilinguals
>>
>>18401034
WeebLord, I have moderate and pointless crush on you.
>>
>>18401048
Well now that I think about it your answer (36%) was the "right" one, this is the answer that is expected. But in reality, in a real country with these statistics the answer would most likely be slightly higher. When they said "bilingual" they meant to imply that everyone in that country speaks at least one of those 2 languages and if that's the case the answer is 36%. But if there are people there who speak neither french nor german (and realistically speaking, there should be people who don't speak the official language/s) the answer will be different.
>>
>>18401059
Yes the question is poorly worded.

For non mutually exclusive events,

P(A or B) = P(A) + P(B) - P(A and B)

We are given P(A) and P(B) and are asked to find P(A and B) but P(A or B) is left undefined. I think the intent of the question is to have P(A or B) be assumed to be 100%, but you are right in that the question did not specify this.
>>
>>18401309
it's a simple math question for children, when it says
>bilingual country
It assumes people speak French or German or both.

In fact, if you hide the question, and most people would agree that is a sensible assumption. Now if you want to dive into probability and statistics to justify why you can't explain the right answer, keep digging.
>>
>>18401348
I did explain the right answer. I gave the equation (which is easy to derive) with all the necessary information. It's plug and chug from there.
>>
It depends what you mean by the question.

If there's an option to speak no languages, assuming knowing one language has no effect on you knowing the other then the probability is 0.74*0.62 = 0.459.

If that's not an option, add them up take away 100 and that's your answer.
>>
>>18401706
The question is clear, and this answer gave something irrelevant. Just because it has percentage doesn't mean it's a probability question lmao, no event was mentioned, no sample space was defined.
Perhaps if it asked "pick a random person, what is the chance he speaks both languages", and in that case assume independence, p(outcome = French) = 0.74 p(outcome = German) = 0.62, etc. it still
has nothing to do with anyone speaking no language.

Also gj digging
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.