[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ahoi there I want to start my writing career, but don't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

File: download.jpg (10KB, 284x177px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
10KB, 284x177px
Ahoi there

I want to start my writing career, but don't know where and how to begin, especially in my situation because of the following.

1. I'm extremely impatient
2. Ultimate writer's block (My brain just stops working)
3. I'll lose the point completely (When explaining some specifics in a sentence)
4. I'm bipolar (Makes it difficult to stay motivated)
5. My concentration disappears during a writing session where I'd find myself thinking about sex then beat it instead of write.

Any tips and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

I'm white male btw not that it is relevant
>>
It should come pretty naturally. If it doesn't, it probably wasn't meant to be. I've written some decent stuff but if it weren't for ideas flowing from my subconscious regularly I would never ever have been able to do it. And even at that, I've only written a small amount and find it hard to continue, because my brains funny and I'm on antipsychotics (like you probably are). I try to look at what others do. Obviously that's very important. But I try to break it down a teeny bit more carefully. Like, braggadocio hip hop is better generally, and provides endless subject matter to write about. I don't know why this is but I use this as an example. Anyways, good luck, you're going to need it.
>>
File: stephen-king[1].jpg (19KB, 550x600px)
stephen-king[1].jpg
19KB, 550x600px
Here's how you start:

1) Write a page every day.

That's it. Sometimes it's hard, sometimes it's easier... but you have to put in the work.
>>
>>18397556
So you want to be a writer?

If it doesn't come busting out of you in spite of everything - don't do it. If it doesn't pour out of your heart and mind - don't do it. If you have to sit up for hours staring at your computer screen searching for words - don't do it. If your doing for women, or fame, or money - don't do it.

If you have to re-write it again and again - don't do it. If it's hard work just thinking about doing it - don't do it. If have to wait for it to roar out of you, then wait patiently, if it doesn't, do something else.

- Charles Bukowski
>>
>>18398086
>bukowski

i wouldn't take any advice from a drunktard with zero sellfdiscipline and drive to take responsibility for his own life

ofc he "made it". but he was still a broke, lonely and miserable cunt.

writing good takes effort and discipline to stay focused to make progress.

go to lit, op. and google. you're dealing with the modt common noob issue. if you can't solve them, your doomed. but not because you lack "talent", but because you lack determination. and without that you will stagnate, no matter the career you chose.

good luck!
>>
>>18398086

That's the worst advice I have ever fucking heard.
>>
>>18398111
what did you expect from mr. r9k?
>>
>>18398106
Despite all that he was a great writer. And wrote about the harsh reality of life. I'll see your novel at the bottom of the stack on sale for $5 at borders.
>>
>>18397556

Disregard any of the cocksuckers in this thread that tell you it should come naturally. Writing is hard work even if you're good at it, and getting good at it is even more hard work.

The exact same advice applies to drawing and writing, as well as anything else that is both complex and subjective : just do it. Do it again and again and again, get all the bad writing you are capable of out of your system, accept that it is bad, and try to understand why it is bad and how it can be improved. Then, on your next piece, put those thoughts into action, and so on and so forth.

Also, get the words "writing career" out of your vocabulary. It's not your career and it will never be your career. Even if you are successfull, the career you build from it is completely peripheral to the writing.
>>
>>18398128
i've seen bukowski in that stack. what's your argument?
he wrote harsh and bitter, yes. that might be some people's reality, but not everyone's. i've read a few books of him, they are entertaining, but they also get old fast. he's just ranting and rambling and feeling sorry for himself, blaming everybody else for his misery. quiet offputting honestly.
>>
>>18398149
Your either too stupid, ignorant or naive to not understand this is everybody's reality - not just Charles'. Block out all the shit in Syria. Block out Trump backing out of the Paris agreement. Block out millions of kids dying from malnutrition. Block out the fact we're destroying this earth.

That's how you live 'happily' right? Through ignorance?
>>
File: download.jpg (6KB, 216x233px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
6KB, 216x233px
>>18398158
You must be fun at parties.
>>
>>18398158

>rare footage of the woke lone wolf admonishing the sheeple
>>
>>18398158
if you let politics ruin your mood you need jesus
>>
>>18398106
You can say a lot about Bukowski (like that he's not really that great a writer) but he absolutely had self discipline. Obviously not in every area of life but in his writing. It takes a lot to work a miserable full job and still write for hours every night. If nothing else that's will power and dedication.
>>
>>18397556
sounds like you're not a good writer
>>
>>18398143
I heard Aesop Rock once say he writes how he does because it is what comes naturally. But regardless, if you had talent wouldn't you be able to tell even before you put the work in? I'm just curious at this point. Talent mystifies me, because I've never come across artists talking about the process of how they write or how they're wired.
>>
>>18398158
globalist scum
>>
>>18398086
That's bullshit. A lot of people who want to be writers shouldn't be, but Bukowski was just a dumbass who happened to be good at writing, just like some people who don't know anything about music can sometimes play the guitar well. Most good writers have to work hard to do it.
>>
>>18398259
i never said he's not really that great a writer (althought all he can do is write autobiographically, which isn't s trait i would link with an extraordinary author). but being a low life addict isn't a sign of selfdiscipline.
>>
>>18398278
talent is a myth.
he just wrote what came to his mind and it appealed to lonely bitter virgins. that was his advantage. he isn't a talented writer, he was just lucky enough to find an audience.
>>
>>18398279
I know, I said that it is a legitimate issue to have with him.

And sitting your ass down to write after doing manual labor all day isn't a sign of "zero self discipline". People are complex, you can be a dead weight in one area and stellar in another. Bukowski was a rampant alcoholic with little regard for other people, but he did work for his money and he did show the will power to keep investing in this writing endlessly.
>>
>>18398287
that's what I said
>>
>>18398288
fair enough. i'll give him that. what i meant is that most people won't get by with "my diary desu", so his advice might not work for the majority. that's why i think it's not very good advice. but maybe op is the next bukowski and needed just that. what do we know.
>>
>>18398267

Talent is irrelevant. It's an empty word people use to project a formless amalgam of concepts that nobody can agree on. If the question you are asking is : "should someone give up when they're not great at it on their first try ?" then the answer is a resounding fuck no, what the hell are you talking about ?

If what you're saying is, if my first attempts after a couple years of practice are completely irredeemable, should I give up ? The answer to that would still be up to you. Do you like the practice ? Do you want to keep going on ? Then chances are you will get better with time, and it's a worthwhile endeavor to continue. Did you expect instant success ? Did you want your first books to show how good you are ? Then maybe you're writing for the wrong reasons.

Result-oriented thinking is, has always been, will always be short sighted and misguided. If you are writing, or doing anything artistic, you are doing it with a greater scope in mind than your "career", and thinking early writings reveal anything about your potential is fundamentally misinterpreting what writing actually is as a practice.
>>
>>18398298

It's not advice in the first place, it's standard gatekeeping from a jealous pridefull cunt
>>
>>18398267
"Talent" is indeed a vague term to pin down and a lot of it has to do with interest and natural sensitivity. It is a self-fulfilling prophecy where
>you start doing something you like because of interest/disposition
>you become better at said thing or even just get acknowledgment for showing interest in it
>you start to like it more through positive reinforcement
>you do it more, you get even better
>by knowing being good at this has become part of your identity and what makes others respect you so it becomes more important to you

And so on. And yes you are able to tell before putting work in. Having a good ear for rhythm in written language, being captivated by forming narratives from things happening around you etc is just another display of the interest/sensitivity/whatever that also forms your talent. Really talent means little other than that doing x thing costs you less effort/time and/or lands you better results than others. That has a lot to do with your own interests.
>>
>>18398311
I see. Though not quite. Writing is hard work, and the end result is often the payoff, far as I can tell. Coming up with art is boring. I guess I don't see why anyone would do it besides pride.
>>
>>18398352

Of course part of it is pride, but there are very different types of pride.

Not everyone is content with writing shit people like
>>
>>18398326
Ah, that's clear. Thanks for that.
>>
>>18398352
Most writers fucking love literature and have a lot of respect for the power of words. It is a very intense high to write something quite good. There's putting in hours and feeling satisfied knowing you left the piece in a better place than when you started, tomorrow's a new day etc; and there's suddenly having things rearrange in your head and trying something only to be blown away but how well it works.
Yes it's pride but it is a special kind of pride to produce something that has worth in itself, outside of you as a person.

It is also just a very special feeling to have this narrative, character, image you hold really dear - enough to spend hours and hours of time writing, let alone thinking it over in your head - and suddenly have it exist for others to read and have their own thoughts on. A figment of your imagination suddenly becomes a real thing you can step back into at any time, and others relate to in their individual ways. It is putting part of you (how you view people, the way you relate to the world, your perspective as a person) that is normally really difficult, if not impossible, to show to people and make it accessible to anyone.

Also just the thrill of getting better itself..
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.