[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should I prolong graduation by a semester? I failed a class

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: 1465547750648.jpg (194KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1465547750648.jpg
194KB, 640x640px
Should I prolong graduation by a semester?

I failed a class last semester, and it kinda fucked my path forward to graduating. I was on track to graduate in three semesters (or this summer session, a full year, and another summer session) without too awful of a load. However, the course I failed was a bit of a major pre-req for the "senior design project." It basically mucks up my schedule and increases my workload over the next school-year.

Because I transferred to this uni AND they didn't let me transfer a lot of credit, I'm in a weird position where I have to take another complicated projects course on top of senior project course. I would then be taking 3 more engineering-heavy courses, followed by the senior design project + 4 engineering courses the following year. Then finishing up some tech electives over the summer (or next semester if they didn't offer them)

The thing is - I worked myself half to death this past semester, and it really is what affected my grades in the end. I also haven't made the best financial decisions and so I'm in a lot more debt since I didn't work the past two years when I moved here. Couple that with high rent, really fucked me. (I'm trying to change that.) So I was thinking I should just prolong my graduation by an extra semester, focus on my grades, and hold down a steady income rather than doing two more semesters of "trying to do everything at once and failing miserably." I don't know if I could hold down a steady job capable of paying my rent looking at my next semester course load. If I prolonged it, it would let me focus on things with a lot less urgency and I feel would be better for me long-term.

Has anybody ever been in a similar predicament? I know people always say "graduate as soon as possible," but is it really worth trying to graduate in December vs June to the point where my grades suffer?
>>
I'm transferring to university in the fall, I've been working part-time at community college for the past 3 years and taking my time until now. I don't think you'll want to work part-time while going to university, it's difficult enough at CC (at least for STEM majors) and I can't imagine balancing that at university. I find myself in a similar awkward position where it looks like some classes I took aren't transferring so it'll take 2.5 to 3 years to finish, it's frustrating but it is what it is. Taking longer is better than not finishing at all and you risk that by rushing it, so I'd say take the extra semester
>>
>>18386528
That's a fair point anon. I don't wanna burn myself out or anything, so that's certainly worth considering. I appreciate the input
>>
What university?
>>
>>18387746
I go to CU in Colorado.

Rent here is stupid, most people pay 600+ and that's considered cheap. I fell for the college town meme, in part because I was interested in aerospace engineering when I moved here.
>>
>>18388197
>600+
single room with aircon and private bathroom?
>>
File: 1466200820082.jpg (47KB, 719x720px) Image search: [Google]
1466200820082.jpg
47KB, 719x720px
>>18386345
Graduating on time is not as important as you think. The extra years worth of rent will be worth it. You're going to hate it if you try to work during uni and you should be looking for post-grad positions in your junior/senior year anyway, not burger flipping positions to pay rent.

Coming from a retard that currently hates his life for taking a horrible schedule to graduate early, take the extra year.
>>
>>18388203
I wish. Currently I pay 650 for a single 10x10 with a shared bathroom and no air conditioning. (But utilities are all paid for). This is on the lower spectrum (and a bargain considering the area I live in)

My next place will be 685/mo. I admit I could probably have persevered a bit more and found something in the lower 600s, but I was enticed about an AC in my my room and I didn't want to be in the position I was this semester where I couldn't find a place until a week before August. Fuck college towns mane.

>>18388236
True enough, good advice. I still think I'm going to pick up some part time position anyways just to keep my rent down, but I can stretch my schedule out into a more manageable chunk is my mindframe. Crunching the numbers, I'd add a lot more debt if I just crunched it out unemployed in 3 semesters vs 4.

I wish I could have found an internship but I dropped the ball during this past semester on that, unfortunately.

Good luck anon, I hope you make it
>>
>>18388295
Up to you. I'd say look at it in the big picture, a year's worth of rent is going to be less than a couple months salary once you get a job. If you do work though, go for something that you can study during work hours like security or front desk at a gym or office etc.
>>
>>18388314
I guess that's true. In the grand scheme when you're already in debt, a bit more is kind of numb at that point.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.