[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Switching things up since my last couple of threads have been

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: b2ST51XZ.jpg (55KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
b2ST51XZ.jpg
55KB, 512x512px
Switching things up since my last couple of threads have been largely unproductive.

Let's do a thought experiment, /adv/. Say you're walking down the street one day and you come across an extremely emaciated man. He's crouched on the ground, and frankly looks to be near-death. However, aside from being a bit disheveled, he doesn't necessarily strike you as homeless or otherwise "down on his luck."

>Question 1: Is your instinct to approach and/or try to help him in some way? Why or why not?
>>
>>18379173
If you expressed any desire to help, now assume that you've approached him. Furthermore, it just so happens that you have some food on you, say some crackers. You offer the food, but he declines, explaining that he "cannot" eat anything unless it is of a certain quality. Your plain crackers apparently don't make the cut.

>Question 2: How do you proceed? Do you continue to try and help him? If yes, what specifically do you do?
>>
>>18379173
Now assume that you did not continue to help, or that all your attempts somehow failed. As you move on, you notice others behind you also approaching the man, some offering their own food. Most of it is like yours, though: simple, nonperishable, portable. In short, it seems very unlikely that anybody walking down the path will have anything that he's willing to eat. Furthermore, it's clear that he's in any shape to move himself to a place where he might be able to find what he's looking for. Unless something drastic happens, he'll probably be dead within a few days, at most.

>Question 3: On a scale of 1-10, to what extent is the man's death his own fault? Optionally, you can choose to explain your rating.
>>
>>18379174
Well that's dumb. You're assuming that I would feed him, when I'd actually get him to a hospital
>>
>>18379173
my instinct is to call the police and report it

>>18379174
at that point, i shrug and say okay. I probably ask him why he is so picky. Ultimately, I report to police anyway but leave the scene.

>>18379179
I can't say for certain, because I don't know how he got in that condition or why he's so picky, but I would say 9 or 10.
>>
My instinct is to ignore him.
>>
>>18379201
>>18379206
...and there's the hole. It's so annoying to design these things because people always find some way to subvert the setup. In this case I could actually rewrite the scenario to account for the "call the police/take him to the hospital" choice, but I feel like it would just needlessly muddle what I'm trying to get at. So just pretend that isn't an option, pretty please?

Also I think Question 3 >>18379179 might more properly be rephrased as "To what extent did the man deserve to die?" rather than a question of fault/causality. So anyone actually taking the time to read all of this, please take that into account.
>>
>>18379229
>So just pretend that isn't an option, pretty please?
Um, no? You asked me what I'd do, and I'm telling you what I'd do. What's the point of this, anyway?
>>
>>18379218
Oh, I forgot to add why not. Because I don't really care about some random person's problems. People needlessly starve to death every day and I've never been troubled by it or made an effort to alleviate their suffering.
>>
>>18379173
This is some real cryptic shit, what's on your mind Anon?

Q1: I would ignore him. I live in a country with free housing for the homeless, benefits for the poor, and an abundance of places like soup kitchens and such. He's not my problem and the means for him to resolve his situation are available.
Q3: It depends on whether or not he has mental problems. If he does then legally he's not accountable for his actions and as such it's the state's fault for not strapping him down to a bed and force-feeding him through a tube, which is pleasant. If he has legitimate health reasons for not accepting low quality food (don't think anything like that exists, but let's run with the idea) then it's mostly his fault for not elaborating on that and getting the food he does need, since he's just laying there like a cunt expecting people to bring it to him; even if he can't move he could ask for a lift, or money for the bus, or ask one of the kind strangers to bring the food to him, or some shit. If he has no such issues then it's a solid 10, entirely his own fault, no-one to blame but himself, should have crawled into the road and been run over by a bus to save everyone the effort of worrying about him.
>>
the holes in this question make it hard for me to focus on the answer
>I don't walk around in areas where disheveled homeless people hang around in my city because they will mug a white boy
>also I have a car and a work vehicle
>also, why would I not think the disheveled emaciated man is homeless?
>also I've never seen an emaciated person on the streets here, much less someone days from death. somehow we've got a lot of overweight homeless now I think about it. must be this thing called a soup kitchen.

>>18379174
>explain to him that they are communion crackers and nothing can be of higher quality

>>18379179
call the police
>>
>>18379236
>>18379254
>What's the point of this, anyway?
>This is some real cryptic shit, what's on your mind Anon?
It's my poor attempt at applying a bit of psychology and philosophy to "filter" the kind of answers I get. When you solicit advice online, it's very important to establish "character" so that people will empathize and want to help. However, at the same time, that can be very counterproductive as it introduces a heavy selection bias, and in my experience, tends to devolve into tangents about largely irrelevant details as people try to project their own experiences and problems onto the solicitor. People latch on to what resonates with them and forget about the larger context of the OP's problem.

My solution was to attempt to abstract the core issue as far from specific details as possible, to avoid those distractions. Furthermore, studies have shown that a greater variety of people tend to empathize with a character/situation if the situation is in some way vague or removed from physical reality. It's why a lot of iconic characters are quite fantastical and not actually all that well developed. I thought I could harness that principle to construct something that would produce "purer" answers from a wider variety of respondents. Also the fact that it has a semi-interactive/"gamified" construction, which is another thing people tend to be more responsive to, especially on a board whose demographic is largely younger and "nerdier," thus given to those types of activities.

tl;dr The man is me, I'm trying(and failing, if these replies are anything to go by) to use jedi mind tricks to get some actual answers for a change, also I'm probably gonna go jump off a bridge now kthxbai
>>
File: 1495900358244.png (56KB, 500x279px) Image search: [Google]
1495900358244.png
56KB, 500x279px
>>18379295
>I didn't want answers to be tangential or about irrelevant details and I wanted the people who answered to not project their own experiences and problems, which is why I phrased the question as what would you personally do in this extremely silly and easily solvable situation

Wow
>>
>>18379173
disheveled but not asking for money, i'd probably stop and wait a while to see if he needs help.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.