[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Could anyone give me some pointers on my Cover letter for a Community

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: Capture.png (109KB, 518x288px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
109KB, 518x288px
Could anyone give me some pointers on my Cover letter for a Community College Im applying to. I already noticed I can change the ending of the 2nd paragraph to
>different, more suitable, model.
>>
Looks like a lot of CV stuff. Your cover letter should connect your CV to the job posting in meaningful ways, not just be a narrative of what's on your CV.
>>
>>18370998
So roughly I have filler and I need actual content.
>>
>>18371004
Well is it filler? If that stuff isn't in your CV in bullets it belongs in your CV in bullets. If it's not in the job posting then it doesn't belong in the cover letter. Imagine your CV on the left, and the job posting on the right, and the cover letter in the middle explaining to the person reviewing your application how your CV meets the requirements of the job posting, include keywords too.
>>
>>18371015
Sorry I was mistaken for some reason I thought CV ment cover letter. Yes this stuff is mainly in my CV too. However the job listing has no specific talking points listed, and I even went in to talk with their HR and they said "just sell yourself". So I'm sort of lost what to talk about other than this stuff.

>reviewing your application how your CV meets the requirements
alright I'll keep that in mind.
>>
Some paragraphs have no clear purpose. There are too many sentences about your past experiences. Some sentences make no sense at all. A suggestion below, clearly defining the paragraphs.

>first paragraph
What you're applying for and how you found the job application. Ditch everything where you talk about past experience. Keep it simple.

>second paragraph
Why you believe you can do the job. Start with a generic statement like "I believe I am well suited for the position because of my extensive teaching & tutoring experience and educational background." Then clarify by mentioning your most recent and most relevant job (just one, maaaaaybe 2) and what you studied. Don't just blab on about everything you ever did.

>Third paragraph
Start with a generic statement again that you clarify with details later. "I am particularly excited about the prospect of working at [College you're applying to] because of my past experiences here and our shared values. [What you did at this college before]. [Some shared value you have about teaching yadayada that makes it a great institution].
>>
>>18371155
Thanks. You hit the nail on the head with
>Some paragraphs have no clear purpose.
Since I was lost and really didn't know what I was writing for, this is really helpful.
>>
>>18371155
Should the first paragraph only be 2 sentences then? just
>Im applying for ----. when browsing for jobs I decided to visit my old community colleges website and found this listing.
>>
>>18370962
>>18371155
>>18371184
Also, here are some improvements on your original text. Just to help you realize what kind of improvements can be made that are not related to structure.

>I have been teaching and tutoring both algebra 2 and pre-calculus.
Ditch the word 'both'

>For five years before I started teaching I also tutored a variety of lower level classes, both privately and for the colleges I was attending.
becomes
>Before that I tutored a number of classes for five years at colleges and for private parties.

>The skills I have accumulated (...) will transfer to (...) my ability to teach at [College]
I don't even.

>Students were expected to have some knowledge of the lecture before class via their blabla
becomes
>To improve the quality of the lectures students are expected to prepare by reading the online textbook or by using my tutoring services.

You're doing someting I used to do a lot: assuming the reader will understand why you're writing something down. Don't. Sometimes you really have to spell it out to make it clear.

>>18371195
Pretty much. Can make it a bit more positive. "I was excited to find the job listing~". Don't use the word 'old'.
>>
>>18371233
Also I keep saying ------ Community College, would it be ok to just say -CC or is that unprofessional?
>>
>>18371233
And thanks for this too. Really needed something like this especially since Ive been told time and time again writing is by far my weakest skill.
>>
I also can't find who the HR leader is. If I cant find it, who should I address this to?
>dear hiring comittee ?
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.