[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I escape the 40-hour work week? About to be a Junior

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_0735.jpg (126KB, 750x568px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0735.jpg
126KB, 750x568px
How do I escape the 40-hour work week?

About to be a Junior in college studying electrical and computer engineering. This summer I am working a Software Engineering internship... and it's killing me

It's a small company, and while I suppose I could chalk it up to the work being unfulfilling (programming a mobile game), I really think it's just the fact that I am used to having free time and I have to wake up at fucking 7am every weekday and don't get to go home until 5pm.

I do this to myself because I go to bed late so I'm tired at work, but i really can't go to bed earlier. For 6 hours of sleep I am only getting 7 hours of free time a day, some of which is sucked up commuting, preparing and eating meals, etc.

I CANT IMAGINE having to do this shit every day for the rest of my life until I'm 65. There is no way life is meant to be lived that way.

Am I just a lazy piece of shit? And regardless, is there a method of working that is better suited to my preferred way of living (not wageslaving)?
>>
File: Shirasaka_Koume_1522.png (284KB, 750x1070px) Image search: [Google]
Shirasaka_Koume_1522.png
284KB, 750x1070px
That's what the weekends are for. Vast majority of jobs follow the usual 9-5 schedule and you decided to study a field that almost guarantees it. Save a lot to retire early, find a better sleep schedule, and maybe live closer to work to cut down on the commute.
>>
>>18369537
Cut down on desires so you can live cheaper, become valuable to your employers, angle and get a 4 day - 30 hours - work week out of them.

It's better.
>>
>>18369537
Basic income, OP.

We're already heading there. Automation will make most jobs redundant. Get ahead of the curve - study the thery of basic income, become politically active, make sure politicians are working towards this model and no other.

Either the future is pretty chill, or the rich get all the money and we die.
>>
>>18370160
Elon Musk agrees.

https://www.geek.com/tech-science-3/elon-musk-automation-will-force-universal-basic-income-1701217/
>>
It's called your day off asshole. You get off on Friday 6 pm by 12pm you should be at the motel with a big booty hoe
>>
File: l3xmg0yv.jpg (12KB, 240x240px) Image search: [Google]
l3xmg0yv.jpg
12KB, 240x240px
Master the LAW OF ATTRACTION
Then you can start living the life you have always dreamt of
>>
>>18369537
I feel the same way. I don't think we're lazy shits.

Work and the bare necessities easily eat up 10 or 12 hours of the day and leave one so tired that you can't work up the energy to do anything with the few hours you have left.
My physical and mental health have both improved since I quit my job in favour of unemployment after getting a doctor to certify that a full-time job was wrecking me and I should be working part-time only, which was then denied with the reasoning "full hours or gtfo". So I gtfo'd. But that's hardly ideal nor a long-term solution either.
>>
>>18369537
Live a minimalist lifestyle and take a less demanding job.
>>
basic income

working 40 hours is oldfashioned
>>
Just wait until your game goes into crunch time and everyone is forced to work 80-100 hour weeks for the last two months or so before the game is finished.

Welcome to the wonderful world of video games.
>>
>all these retards that believe we wont just be killed off

Why would we get money for doing nothing?
>>
>>18369537
>For 6 hours of sleep I am only getting 7 hours of free time a day
>which is sucked up commuting, preparing and eating meals, etc.

Maybe you should focus on getting 8 hours of sleep so that you won't be so miserable.
>>
>>18369537
>That image
A tip of the hat to you sir.

Consider that a majority of the planet would KILL to be in your position. I'm assuming you live in a first world country. That a majority of the planet barely skate by on $10 a day and work 10 times harder than you. Once you realize this you'll start to appreciate the position you're in, instead of seeing it as a chore.

You're not even 20 yet, you're working a summer internship, and you're already worn down by it? The problem isn't the job, it's your mindset that you need to fix. If you're going in with the mindset that "Oh boohoo this sucks I wish I could work 5 hours a week and watch anime the rest of the time" 1 hour at work is going to feel like 10.

So either get a better schedule where you set aside enough sleeping time, enough leisure time, and get your mind in order instead of going all Bukowski on the system at the tender age of 20.
>>
>>18370527
Being human isn't nothing.

Why wouldn't we, as a human race, work towards maximum comfort for ourselves?

The rich also still need a moderately stable earth. It's way easier and cheaper to have humanity slowly transition into a relaxed state, than it is to oppress like 99% of the populace.
>>
>>18370665
If you have the flu, do you care if someone else has AIDS? No. OP's personal struggle doesn't disappear because things are worse in other countries.

Present-day existence is just pretty subpar.
>>
>>18370699
>If you have the flu, do you care if someone else has AIDS?
I knew this would come up.

I never said it disappeared but it would put things into better perspective not going through the rest of your life thinking doing work is "wage-slaving" Even if you were to start your own company or business, you'd still need to work in order for it to grow and be sustainable. Unless you want to try your luck and win the lottery then there's no escaping work.

>Present-day existence is just pretty subpar.
This is the best time in human history to be alive. You don't have to worry about dying from malaria or getting forcefully drafted to war. Like I said, fix the damn teenage angst pessimism and 95% of your problems go away.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.