[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Would you advise someone to do blue collar or white collar work?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: blue collar white collar 2.jpg (83KB, 900x482px) Image search: [Google]
blue collar white collar 2.jpg
83KB, 900x482px
Would you advise someone to do blue collar or white collar work?

I have done some minimum wage "blue collar" jobs, and then a salaried white collar job.

Currently I'm NEET. I reckon blue collar work makes you strong and shit, and it's more fun. And you can earn SERIOUS FUCKING MONEY doing blue collar stuff. Electricians, plumbers, builders, double glazers, all this stuff - there is SERIOUS money to be made in some of this stuff, if you're good at what you do.

So what do you reckon?
>>
Also something to point out - I reckon blue collar work is more recession-proof. People need electricians, they need plumbers, they need tree surgeons, they need windows, they need broadband, they need insulation.

I dunno. As I say I have a white collar background really, but I just have this idea that blue collar would be better (I guess I formed this idea when I was fucking depressed as shit in my last office job).

Perhaps I am just being a fucking fantasist though? I guess you can still be incredibly successful doing white collar stuff. Maybe I just need to get back into a white collar job. Blue collar seems very appealing but for a person in my position (someone who's educated and stuff), it would be harder to get into blue collar stuff, I reckon. People would think "who the fuck is this posh kid stepping on our turf"
>>
I'd advise white collar work. Eventually, your body is going to break down, and you'll mostly always be stuck making what you're making now, but with arthritic knees, and younger dudes taking your work day by day.

Sure, maybe one day you'll own your own small business or some shit, but your max just won't be that much.

It depends on the kind of white collar shit you're doing though - don't process TPS reports and waste your life in a cube.
>>
>>18366323
>younger dudes taking your work day by day
Well that's why you need to work hard at it so you become very skilled, or you end up running a business (plumbing business, electrician business, whatever it happens to be).

>Sure, maybe one day you'll own your own small business or some shit, but your max just won't be that much.
Do you mean max earnings? A guy running his own plumbing business, electrician business, construction business can make TONS of fucking money.

>It depends on the kind of white collar shit you're doing though - don't process TPS reports and waste your life in a cube.
That's the thing. Most office workers are just cucks living in a cubicle. Better to get outside and get shit done.
>>
>>18366377

Sorry, I stepped away from the post for a while, so I'm hoping you're still around.

>Well that's why you need to work hard at it so you become very skilled, or you end up running a business (plumbing business, electrician business, whatever it happens to be).

A business has a lot of extra responsibilities that you won't be learning while you're in a trade, really. You'll be capable of important tasks, like the three trades you mentioned, but can you handle the business operations portions? There's money to be taxed, books to be balanced, people to be scheduled... and every hour of your day is going to have the concern in the back of your head that someone is fucking this up.

>Do you mean max earnings? A guy running his own plumbing business, electrician business, construction business can make TONS of fucking money.

Tons of money depending on your area. Depending on taxes depending on need. But again, they're responsible for everything. I live in a very low taxed city, and make nearly six figures... my six figures aren't equivalent to a New Yorker's six, or a Little Rock AR's six. But every night and day, you're going to be responsible for your business. Again, and again, and again. Your sweet little daughter isn't going to understand why daddy has to go balance the books, or yell at John for spending $5,000 extra in materials.

>That's the thing. Most office workers are just cucks living in a cubicle. Better to get outside and get shit done.

Cuck me up senpai, I make tons of money in my cushy office, taking a nice long break, going to lunch with cash-flush vendors, getting bottles of great champagne at great restaurants, but yeah, I need to spend 6 or 7 hours a day in an office for it, and I get unlimited vacation.

If people didn't just shuffle through their spreadsheets all day and showed some ambition, maybe they'd have a shot.
>>
>>18366621
Not OP but i'm a neet shithead looking for options, what did you study?
>>
>>18366669

I studied internet mediated communications in college. I got a scholarship for journalism, though.

My degree didn't do me much, but I graduated in 2008 - the worst time to do anything at all. I still firmly believe that if you show up on time, show a genuine interest in white collar work, and answer emails on time, you'll shoot to the top.

I'm in a high level corporate marketing position for a household brand, and I think people can get here just doing the basics right.
>>
>>18366712
Interesting thanks.
>>
>>18366736

No problem. Let me just make clear that I graduated and had to work in retail for three years, then had to take a $10/hr job for 20 hours a week to get marketing experience.

I think it's easier right now, but just in case... There might be a mountain to climb. Good luck.
>>
>>18366756
Well, i'm in Britain, so i'm going to have to do some research first anyway but thanks for your time.
>>
>>18366765

A good friend of mine has the same job in Britain... there are a lot of opportunities in the same way there. You're near one of the most important hubs of the industry in the world.
>>
>>18366199
You should never work minimum wage.
Also enjoyment is really personal.
You might enjoy installing windows or you might enjoy fixing computers but there will also be parts of both jobs that you dont enjoy.
Usually blue collared jobs will be cleaning or setting up or carrying.
White collared dudes will be bored out of their skulls or working during a crunch.
With that said you should find something that you want to do regardless if its because that job has good hours or good pay or good promotion opportunities.
>>
Blue collar work will really wear on your body and it can be a serious grind.

I talk to people about their jobs a lot, including blue collar workers. Most of them come to me and tell me that their knees are too sore, or they have burns all over their arms from welding. A lot of purple/black finger nails.

When you're still doing the same shit at 45, you will be stuck with very few options to get into a less strenuous job. Plus the vast majority of skilled tradesman don't have their own businesses. Some of them are self-employed, but that just adds a whole other list of headaches to your day.
>>
>>18366888

Good point. My friend Brad is always looking to pick up odd jobs doing contracting work. He's always desperate for just a little more money. Weekends, holidays, date night? Less of a priority than the $80 job he can grab stuck under someone's sink, removing some hair, or installing cabinets.

It is certainly a SAFE job, in that someone will always need it, but you'll never really retire. My 85 year old step-grandfather still puts up wallpaper to pick up cash.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.