[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How fucked am I if I refuse to go to college? I live in a fairly

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

File: 12208015.jpg (20KB, 400x313px) Image search: [Google]
12208015.jpg
20KB, 400x313px
How fucked am I if I refuse to go to college? I live in a fairly affluent area where it's pretty much assumed that people will go to college, even if they're dumb as rocks. But I don't think I can keep going.

Ever since I was a little shit, I've been questioning my teachers and calling their bullshit. And when I was little and that was kind of cute, they'd entertain my little questions and debates. But as I got older, it became more and more of a problem.

It's not that I'm so full of myself that I think I'm always automatically right -- hell, there have been times I've intentionally made some poorly-formed arguments with the expectation that they'd call ME out. I keep expecting them to say, "No, you're wrong, here's why," but instead it's always "No, you're wrong, shut up." And I get that I can't just be constantly derailing class with my bullshit, but at the same time I can't just sit quietly and bottle up all this shit to myself. It's what I've been doing the past couple of years(finally "learned my lesson") and it honestly feels like I'm slowly dying inside.

It's gotten to the point where I have semi-regular nightmares of teachers just shouting at me, calling me a piece of shit, etc., I instinctively flinch/bite my tongue every time a question pops into my head(not just in school, everywhere), I have an irrational hatred for anything related to school and/or teachers. I'm probably being melodramatic but it almost feels as if I've developed a kind of school PTSD.

But I don't know what else to do. I've never been especially skilled at anything, or good with people(as you can imagine). To someone who didn't know about my "history," they'd probably think I'd end up in academia somewhere. I've actually had people straight up tell me I should be a professor. What the fuck do I do?
>>
File: 1495339116536.jpg (180KB, 1280x840px) Image search: [Google]
1495339116536.jpg
180KB, 1280x840px
>>18365758
Learn a trade and open a business if your so pissed scared of being told off, or biting your tongue. People will generally give you shit for the decision at first, but if you work hard you can throw that shit back in their face.
>>
>tfw can't answers OP's school questions in a loving tone to make them feel at ease
>>
>>18365758
Why the hell didn't you do Debate, crazy?

Are you too much of a dumbass to realize that your God-given talent may very well be telling motherfuckers why they are wrong?

I had the same exact problem as you. But I took my ass to the Debate team and got MVP status my first year there.

OP, go to college. Join a debate team. Do things that exploit your ability to call those pieces of shit out on their damn lies and prove why they're goddamn pig-fucking, dick-sucking, cock-gobbling sons of bitches.

Godspeed, young buck. And God bless your combative personality.
>>
>>18365758
You are in exactly the right place. Colleges - at least most liberal arts departments - encourage and value independent thinking, and WANT students to question received wisdom. That's what they consider the whole point of education.

Of course a bit of common sense and politics is a good idea. Raise a question about what a professor says, but do so only on the basis of evidence you can cite, not just "I don't agree". Limit your debating to a reasonable part of class time to not disrupt the whole lesson. If you want to continue, do it one-to-one in his office.

Be an independent thinker without being an asshole
>>
>>18366961
>your God-given talent may very well be telling motherfuckers why they are wrong
Well then he must've had a great laugh when I was born because that is one of the shittiest fucking talents ever. People HATE being told they're wrong, even if they ARE wrong and even if you provide ample evidence and go into excruciating detail about why they're wrong. In fact, pointing those things out is so universally hated that people will side against you out of some misguided sense of "principle" because, to them, any kind of criticism automatically constitutes a personal attack. The only way anything ever gets done is through manipulation or just straight-up going around people rather than trying to confront them.
>>
>>18365758
If I could get a do over

I would go to the military and try to be something awesome like a helicopter pilot

BTW if you have prior mil aviation and an engineer degree you are hot shot to companies like Lockmart Boeing etc
>>
>>18367834
You're right. Lawyers are generally hated. But their lawyer friends enjoy each other and they laugh all the way to the bank.

So stop being buttmad about school and choke it down long enough to make it through law school. Enjoy an easy life.
>>
>>18367856
BTW if it makes any difference I went to engineering school and it sucked even thought I like engineering

Job prospects and pay are kinda shit and student loans aren't fun either
>>
Retail, factory work, office work, fast-food, landscaping, and construction seem to me like the only options without college. You can try vocational rehabilitation. See if Vocational rehabilitation will help you find an employer.
>>
college has turned into a meme. the bubble is already bursting, employers know that a degree not in engineering is worthless. Not even just stem, maths degrees are worthless in the real world too.
>>
>>18369379
But if a degree is already worthless, what does it say if you don't even have one?
>>
bumping once
>>
OP you obviously are capable of independent learning

Shit load of unis have online programs that allows you to study with 0 professor interactions

Try to study for your own sake not because your mentor was shitty
>>
College is a waste of money if you're not going into STEM. Cool down for a while then go to a technical/trade school in something you'd like to do for at least 5 years.
>>
College isn't for inquiry, if that's your hobby do it on your own time. College is a foot in the door of a better career than you would otherwise have access to. Period, no discussion. If you're in it now, keep going, and stop getting so emotionally invested in being "right". Tons of grads don't end up in the fields they got a degree in, it's just that the degree was a foothold in the "grown up" working world, as opposed to the perpetual adolescent wagecucking world.
>>
>>18365758
>Ever since I was a little shit, I've been questioning my teachers and calling their bullshit
> I've intentionally made some poorly-formed arguments with the expectation that they'd call ME out. I keep expecting them to say, "No, you're wrong, here's why," but instead it's always "No, you're wrong, shut up."

lol so you're studying politics, or social "science"
>>
>>18365758
I'm 34. Spent my 20s clawing my way up the corporate ladder on a single career path.

I am now Director of Marketing and advertising for a publicly traded company. I make six figures as a base salary. Have full access to benefits. Youngest employee in senior management.

Never spent a single day in a college classroom.

So, can it be done OP? Absolutely.
>>
>>18372421
A question for you (I'm not OP)

You guys focus on spurring prospects to action (ideally that leads to a sale). But do you focus on creating prospects out of people who previously were not? As in, do you attempt to create need where there is none? For instance, you can not sell anything to someone who is totally contented in life. So do you ever attempt to sow seeds of discontent in the consumers of your advertising? Do you attempt to sell them on the idea of aspirational, keep up with the Jones' striving, a priori of trying to sell them your product?

Not trying to be nosy, but I'm fascinated by what goes on in real marketing depts.
>>
>>18372438

Our product is highly niche and each offer is highly specific based on a number of variables such as regulation, wholesale curves, and competitive landscape. We have both mature (educated) and immature (uneducated) markets.

In my industry we are more data driven and focus on retention via customer experience as part of our overall strategy. Our product is similar to insurance products.

Marketing (real marketing) starts with a basic understanding of supply chain then product development. From there you learn the backend operational experience so you can create a front-end customer experience
>>
>>18372421
how did you get the job in the first place
>>
>>18372397
>College isn't for inquiry
So then what is? At what point in my life do I finally get to enjoy it instead of putting up with shit just so that some nebulous future is supposedly "better"?

>>18371920
Self-learning is something I've explored, but I'd say it's about on par with directed learning under a mediocre mentor. Ideal learning should take place under a competent mentor, but I guess wishes aren't horses. More importantly, it doesn't really matter how knowledgable you are if people aren't willing to give you the time of day because you don't have that stupid piece of paper saying they should.
>>
File: 1485605051612.jpg (63KB, 250x323px) Image search: [Google]
1485605051612.jpg
63KB, 250x323px
>>18367014
>most liberal arts departments - encourage and value independent thinking, and WANT students to question received wisdom.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.