[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My options at university are chemistry, chemical enginering and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: 11-table-01.gif (33KB, 765x578px) Image search: [Google]
11-table-01.gif
33KB, 765x578px
My options at university are chemistry, chemical enginering and biology. Which would you reccomend the most?
>>
>>18361399
Last I checked women are dominating biology in the stem education fields.

If youre a male you might want to take a critical analysis of whether thatll benefit or fuck you when finding work after.
>>
>>18361424
I can't see what difference the amount of women in a field makes
>>
>>18361399
Good friend of mine is a chemical engineer and he makes really good money.
Field is pretty interesting as well.
>>
>>18361424
What the fuck kind of comment is that?

If you want to talk about gender issues go to another thread, not trying to force it into a completely random, unrelated discussion that has nothing to do with gender.
>>
>reccomend
English
>>
Only one I have experience is Biology. Biology is mostly memorization. It does nothing for you without extra work experience. So if you do biology you want to start volunteering in labs and getting a lot of lab experience ASAP. Just a "biology degree" mean shit and your classes will not teach you anything except how to memorize stuff. Working in the lab is where all your worth to employers (or future grad school if you want to delay adulthood) comes from. Most of your peers will be aiming for med school and so many labs will be more interested in you if you say you are looking for an actual career in biology proper (having to deal with so many premeds all day).

Can't speak for chemistry. Chemistry is where all the hard classes of a biology degree go. Chemical engineering might be okay, since engineering in general is more geared for real-world applications vs. a pure science.

t. Bio major.
>>
>>18361399
If you go CH ENG, you better buckle the fuck up. Easily going to be the most difficult field out of the 3 you listed.

For all 3, expect there to be long ass labs for each. Especially on the chemical side of things. That isn't to say that they wouldn't be interesting but it needs to be said.
>>
>>18361399
do you like Breaking Bad?
>>
>>18361399
Honestly, in the U.S. (every country is different and it seems like maybe you are from somewhere else?), but in the U.S. and individualist will succeed by going the chemical engineering route. Biology and Chemistry are studies of what is, and what some others say "is".
Chemical engineering is the study of how to make what you want into what is. Shaping reality. Action. Progress towards a goal.
The really exciting thing about chemical engineering is, while you are actively studying, you can sense that what you are studying right now will become dated in a matter of 3 years.
This drives home the importance of understanding process and action, (being well above "theory" and "knowledge" in the real world)
>>
>>18361848

Sometimes being a male in a female dominated profession gives you a leg up in job market etc. For example, being a male nurse can get you some extra scholarships and be in demand (for helping to move obese patients around). I also hear there's a demand for male elementary teachers to give boys someone to look up to at school.

Unfortunately, its not the case for biology though, biology is more 50/50 at least in the labs.

>>18361846
The BLS occupational handbook has job growth for chemical engineering at "slower than average". It might be bs though, and yeah engineers do make better money than most biologists for sure.
>>
OP here. Thanks to everyone for replying. I'll take into account every single thing said in this thread so far.
Any more answers are very welcome.
>>
I do Chemical Engineering right now. Can't say I'm too excited about it. Seems the money is pretty good, though I don't really care much for money. It's really difficult honestly, so if you lack the motivation, don't even consider it.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.