[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I have a friend, who has mental health issues and is having

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: maxresdefault.jpg (40KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
40KB, 1280x720px
So I have a friend, who has mental health issues and is having a really tough time.

Sadly, she lives many hours away so I can't go see her. Keeping in contact with her is strictly via phone/text. Even that is minimal though, she goes through phases where she doesn't want to talk, or is very selective about what she wants to talk about.

I sort of get the impression asking how she is is something that she doesn't want to talk about too much, as it's obviously bad news.

But what else can I say in my texts? I can say what I'm doing sure, but I want to ask about her, what sort of questions can I use that aren't "how are you?"
>>
>>18355967
Inform her parent and keep texting.

Realize that you cant save everybody. Some people are beyond help until they change themselves first. If you dont believe me, go see r9k or pol.

Dont be hard on yourself if you fail your quest in saving her. And
>dont stick dick into crazy
>>
>>18356004
She's 28. Her parents are aware. She's getting support from social and medical practices.

I'm not trying to save her, I'm trying to support her through this.
>>
>>18355967
what's causing the rough time? anything specific?
>>
>>18356040
She had a breakdown caused by separation from her husband, followed by throwing herself into work way too hard and not taking a break, also living with her parents again, which they don't get on too much either. Grandparent died close to the break. Think the final thing was her step-father being quite physical to her.

So that caused it all, and I don't really know what's happened over the next year as much as I tried to keep in contact there were huge sections of that that I just wasn't getting a response.
>>
>>18356032
>not trying to save her
You obviously are. Average people wouldnt bother. You obviously care super much.

You either have hidden motive or you are just super nice person. I bet you are good friend, but really, some people prefer solitude over pushy friends.

Be avaiable, show interest but dont force her. Nothing good will come out of it. At least not over phone communication.
>>
You don't have to talk about how she's feeling or what she has been doing that day. Just remind her from time to time that she is welcome to tell you when she feels like it.

You could instead ask her silly questions and discuss those in detail (if she's the type to enjoy that of course). Like "If you could choose any artist to paint you, who would it be and why?" "What vegetable would you be?"
Or do the MBTI and talk about that.

It doesn't have to "fix her" in any way. Just get her mind off the bad things in life and make her laugh from time to time.
>>
>>18356054
She's been my friend for many years. Just before her breakdown I did ask her out, but then this all happened.

Honestly, I can put my feelings aside, I want her to be well again. If all we are is friends, that's fine. As long as she is ok.

>>18356057
MBTI?
When we are on the phone I definitely distract and get her laughing. I'll try and just focus on that over text too I guess.
>>
>You could instead ask her silly questions and discuss those in detail (if she's the type to enjoy that of course). Like "If you could choose any artist to paint you, who would it be and why?" "What vegetable would you be?"

he's right. unfortunately, it doesn't concern you what the cause of pain is. you aren't able to do much from where you are, so the best you can be is a distraction from it all. just be light hearted and available if she needs to vent. and don't take it out on yourself that you aren't able to help as much as you want to. she can only be helped to the extent that she allows. good luck, anon. it's not easy being someone's rock.
>>
>>18356068
DO NOT STICK YOUR DICK INTO CRAZY.
Well, you will do it anyway, but i have tried my best to warn you.

Dammit, she will get clingy and we all know where this will end. Unless she will put you into friendzone again.

Please dont try to hook up with her.
>>
>She
Every time

She doesn't need a knight and you certainly aren't one. Just invest into a sane woman instead
>>
>>18356077
>>18356087
Every time a woven is spoken about, does not mean you have to think about fucking her.

I've stated many times, I'm her friend. If there was more great, but there is no ulterior motive here. I want her to be safe and well first and foremost.
>>
>>18356068
MBTI: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myers%E2%80%93Briggs_Type_Indicator
Basically it's a personality test that is quite popular on the internet. It might not be super accurate but there's lots to read about and a lot of it leads to improving yourself. Just one more example of what you could do together.
>>
>>18356097
Thanks.

I guess it's be distraction, and be available if she wants to talk about the rest.

Do you think telling her about stuff I do could make her feel bad? Like if I talk about promotion or friends or activities, she might feel bad that she isn't getting those?
>>
>>18356100
There's times when it will make her feel down but (in my opinion) she has to learn how to deal with this and be happy for you. You're not taking anything away from her after all but choose to spend your time with her. Sometimes it can be nice just to hear stories from friends being happy and healthy (and strong enough to listen to you and support you).
There are exceptions though. You might find something specific triggers her badly, so don't rub that in. If in doubt, ask a day later how that thing you told her made her feel.
>>
>>18356112
Will try. Thanks for your help.
>>
>>18356117
You're welcome :) Hope it turns out alright.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.