[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How the FUCK are you supposed to get a job when you're dealing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: 1426707186932.jpg (56KB, 597x519px) Image search: [Google]
1426707186932.jpg
56KB, 597x519px
How the FUCK are you supposed to get a job when you're dealing with crippling depression? I can barely feed myself and I have no education/prior job experience. Not even a high school diploma. Meds and pot haven't worked for me.

Do I just an hero at this point? I'm a worthless fucking leech.
>>
>>18350130
Go work at McDonald's, my friend told me that at the end of the day you can take every burger/fries that haven't been sold for free.
That way you will have money AND you won't need to spent much on food.
Also as an option, if you are physically fit, you can go work in Alaska or even norther, you get a decent payment since it's a rural area and you get free living/feeding if you are lucky. Also nature there is gorges, that should heal you depression
>>
>>18350154
>Go work at McDonald's
I know beggers can't be choosers but that would honestly make me kill myself
>Also as an option, if you are physically fit, you can go work in Alaska or even norther, you get a decent payment since it's a rural area and you get free living/feeding if you are lucky. Also nature there is gorges, that should heal you depression

Is it possible to go that route with absolutely no money to get there? My savings acct has literally under $10, should I hitchhike? Will I get buttraped?
>>
You need a kick in the ass, frankly. Depression is fucking terrible and gets in the way of even the simplest things, but when it gets down to survival, the fight or flight instinct still kicks in.

"I don't want to be a leech" just isn't enough of a motivation. You need to be scared, TERRIFIED of the consequences of not getting yourself back on track. That's how you have to get over your depression, by realizing that the consequences will be much worse than how you feel when you think about moving on

>>18350164
>I know beggers can't be choosers but that would honestly make me kill myself
See? you're doing it again. Your misplaced pride is sabotaging you. What's wrong with McDonalds? you think the people who work there enjoy it any more than you? IT'S A JOB.

A lot of times people like you don't get the kick in their ass that they need until they're literally threatened to get put out on the street. Are you going to wait until that happens?

I'm being aggressive here, but I'm being entirely serious when I say that the best help you can get right now is a kick in your ass to get you going. It can't come from 4chan, so I'm hoping that if you seriously look at where you'll be soon enough if you don't do something, that it'll scare you enough to get you moving. Remember, even the worst job out there is better for you than what you are doing now. Don't pretend like you can afford to have standards. I cleaned fucking toilets for years. Are you better than that? Seriously ask yourself that.
>>
>>18350130
One step at a time my green friend. Deal with your depression first.
>>
>>18350164
You can't know what you will and won't enjoy in work until you've had at least one job. McDonald's may be more fulfilling than you think: financially looking after yourself, the cameraderie, structure to your days etc.
Are you even doing anything to lessen your depression, like exercise, eating well, keeping a good sleep/wake schedule?
>>
>>18350192
Yeah, you're absolutely right anon and I agree with you.

I've been kicked out and lived on the streets before, and I don't want to be there again. I'm just so fucking unmotivated, unskilled, and tired all the time. I feel like it would be easier to just die, I KNOW it would be easier to die.

>>18350202

>Are you even doing anything to lessen your depression, like exercise, eating well, keeping a good sleep/wake schedule?

I try to force myself to go through the motions but I end up relapsing and sleeping all day.
>>
>>18350164
If you hitchhike with a guy on a huge truck you are pretty save, otherwise, won't recommend.
Also http://www.alaska.net/anchorage.html
Pretty sure if you research it, find a year long job, I think you could talk to your boss about getting to Alaska, maybe they will just cut Your plane tickets out of your income or something similar.
>>
>>18350228
Thanks anon, I'll look into that.
>>
>>18350212
>end up relapsing
Depression is a serious medical condition. It is also one with a lot of data showing it can be improved with simple behavioural changes. Take care of yourself- sleeping, eating, not drinking or smoking too much. Until you've tried that you have no right to consider suicide anymore than someone with chlamydia saying the itching makes them want to die when they haven't tried antibiotics.
>>
>>18350260
How long do you suppose I should try that before killing myself? Longest streak I've had lasted just under a month.
>>
>>18350266
Be generous to yourself. Give yourself a year at least during which you work your way up Maslow's hierarchy of needs. I think you'll feel a lot better.
>>
>>18350274
I'll give it a shot. Any tips to prevent myself from relapsing?
>>
>>18350212
Okay, here's my little mantra.
Some shit happened to me and I dropped out of school and i got incredibly depressed because my plan for life was essentially to do important things like designing cars and buildings and changing the world, etc. and i got fired from two jobs soon after leaving school.
I hit rock bottom for a while because my whole plan for life got cancelled abruptly and while I thought I had a generally positive self-image, i couldn't reconcile that with literally failing everything i had been doing. I didn't even trust myself to hold a job because i had failed so many times by that point.

When i finally started working again I was miserable because I was swabbing toilets and serving popcorn to people at a shitty theater and i hated every second of it, but when I sort of got over the depression I decided that if I wasn't going to do something important with my life I would do something interesting. So I set out and applied to a bunch of jobs and after a couple of shitty years I've been moving from place to place doing weird shit ever since then. And every shit job that I have to take means that my resume is that much stronger, and means that - knowing how to do even more - I am that much more valuable to an employer. I applied to shit like "deep fry batter factory worker," "stage manager for (live) theater," "train station general laborer" and I spent a couple months working for an apartment building, selling pizza, I also started attending auctions and using weird connections I had made while working shitty jobs to sell people some stuff that I picked up dirt cheap.

Nowadays I'm a reserve truck driver/hospital valet/assistant park ranger who also sells boats and flips vehicles, and I've saved enough money to think about going back to school again this fall. I think I have a pretty interesting life now, even if I still have problems.

[cont.]
>>
>>18350285
[cont.]

If you'll forgive the blogpost, what my point is that i started all this while I was still a NEET and depressed, just by working somewhere I hated to get the ball rolling. I still hated it by the time I could move on from that place, but it put me in a better spot than I was.

Take stock of what you have and work off of that. for example, i didn't feel like I had anything to offer, but I did have a driver's license with no tickets on it. I applied for a chauffeurs license and got a job driving packages. that was an avenue for me to get out of soulless retail jobs I had been stuck in and into slightly better prospects.

Check out companies like Goodwill, they try to hire people who would otherwise have trouble finding work, and they offer opportunities to move on to better positions.

If you have computer skills, you can use that as an asset, if you have driving skills or typing skills, you can use that too. You don't have to enjoy it, and you probably won't, but get the ball rolling and life's opportunities will become more clear to you. Even if it feels like ripping your skin off, get started and it will be easier as time goes on.
>>
>>18350285
>>18350307
That's inspiring, anon, it gives me a lot of hope to know it's possible to climb out of this.

I'm in a bit of a catch-22 right now, because I live in a very rural area with little to no job opportunities. It's difficult to find some place that will hire someone with literally nothing to offer (not even a driver's license in my case).

I'll see what goodwill has to offer, they're fairly far away from me but I guess I could use the exercise anyway.
>>
>>18350130

you're supposed to do what humans have done for thousands of years: keep going.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.