[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm a 24 year old Australian dude looking for advice on

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: 4055-GET_AVOS_WHITE_TEE.jpg (929KB, 2000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
4055-GET_AVOS_WHITE_TEE.jpg
929KB, 2000x2000px
I'm a 24 year old Australian dude looking for advice on getting expat work, preferably in the US or Canada. My work background is mostly in business admin stuff, but I'm a qualified barista and bartender and would love to work in those fields abroad. I've looked into it a bit, and it seems difficult to justify getting an expat for a relatively entry-level job, so what other qualifications would set me apart and make me preferable to a local? I have a Certificate in Business, and am not opposed to getting more vocational certificates to make myself more employable.
>>
>>18345003

>qualified barista.
I'm pretty sure anyone who works at McDonalds is a qualified barista.

nice shirt though.

also military would probably get you in. I don't know why you would want to go to america though. it's even more cucked than here.
>>
>>18345016
Yeah, every man and his dog has a barista qual, I'd honestly prefer bartending work, but I'm not above pulling double duty to make things work.

North America is advantageous for me, because I already have mates there and don't need to learn a second language. I've considered the military, but would rather get there on a working visa as opposed to being stationed there.
>>
>>18345003
LOL wants to be like every kiwi and aussie in the UK. wants to work in a pub.
>>
>>18345073
Ideally, yeah, but fuck dealing with poms all night.
>>
>>18345003
You are not qualified for a standard work visa. Given your country and age your best bet would be to apply for a working holiday visa, it will allow you to stay two years and work with one employer up to six months at a time. If an employer likes you they might choose to sponsor you at a later date, alternatively get a degree in an in demand field with a student visa if you are wealthy.
>>
>>18345237
Not wealthy enough to get a degree, but a working holiday visa sounds like a good bet. Would I have to have work lined up in advance to qualify for it, or just the intention to work? And after finishing a six month stint with one employer am I able to jump to another for another six months, or is it limited to six months work flat?

Additionally, I have a couple of grand set aside for this, but again, not wealthy, how little can I get away with having? Plus are backpacker hostels as cheap and prevalent in the US as they are in Australia?
>>
>>18345003
What actual qualifications do you have, I'm Aussie so you can be more specific
>>
>>18345301
Cert III Business
Cert III Hospitality
Advanced Barista Certificate
Qualified Latte Artist (still surprised this is a thing)
RSA/RCG
>>
>>18345309
You're limited to being sponsored by a company to come over to the states (as a trainee, seasonal agricultural worker), but with those certs I don't think that's a strong option for you.

Your best bet is to do it via an inter-company visa (your company sends you to an overseas posting) or family visa (marry a burgerstani)
>>
>>18345322
Oh and I should mention that having (or wanting) a bachelors would open a lot more doors for you with student visas and work visas

https://au.usembassy.gov/visas/nonimmigrant-visas/
http://www.ustraveldocs.com/au/au-niv-visatypeinfo.asp
>>
>>18345331
I've half finished a Bachelors of Psychology, but I've been off it long enough to have to start over again should I return to it.
>>
>>18345322
> Family Visa
> Marry a Burgerstani
One of the reasons I want to go over is to pick up girls despite my glaring personality flaws because I'm fun and exotic, so it's not completely off the table, but certainly not a first trip over solution.
>>
>>18345258
You just have to have the application fee, and be under thirty. It is an initiative to allow young people from "trustworthy" countries to explore other commonwealth countries. You can only do it once in your life, and you can jump to a new employer after six months. You just can't stay with the same one. You can choose not to work on it at all if you so wish, but the point of the visa is that you can do a tiny bit of work to fund your holiday. This is if you wish to go to Canada mind you, the US is more strict and likely does not offer this visa.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.