[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I guess to start, here's my situation. I have $14, access

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

File: rice.jpg (8KB, 276x183px) Image search: [Google]
rice.jpg
8KB, 276x183px
I guess to start, here's my situation.

I have $14, access to a full kitchen, am not living with family, and am not getting paid for a little over two weeks.

What's the most effective way I could turn that $14 into not starving for this time? Water is taken care of, I can get to a supermarket and back without issue, I just need to figure out how I'm going to not starve.

Times are tough and up until now I've made it work, not sure how to pull this one off. I guess white rice and only white rice maybe?

Just looking for extreme food budgeting advice I guess.
>>
>>18339355
White rice and beans.
>>
What do you have in your fridge/cupboards/cabinet/whatever the fuck what is in your kitchen that you can eat right? i'll help you get organized.
>>
>>18339355

I was in a similar situation a few weeks back, and I survived on pretty much Ramen Noodles and grilled cheese sandwiches.

It wasn't fun, but doable.

Basically, you want food that's cheap to buy in bulk (making several meals out of) and won't spoil before your two weeks is up.

>>18339359

Has the right idea.

Also, discount supermarkets are your friend.
>>
>>18339355
>go to the store
>buy stuff to make brownies or cookies, probably 8 dollars or so
>sell them to make more money to eat
You could easily turn that 8 dollars into 20 probably in a day or so if your around any populated area or tourist attraction
>>
>>18339355
Honestly man this isn't even that hard. As the dudes above mentioned, it won't be fun, but it's not difficult, and you don't have to starve yourself.

Do not try to eat only white rice. You will end up eating a lot of rice, but you need protein and vitamins too. Here's what you do.

Go to the store and buy two dozen eggs. That's about $5.
Buy a one pound bag of dried pinto beans. Dried, not canned (cheaper). That's about $2.
Buy a one pound bag of frozen vegetables. That's $2-3.
Spend your remaining $4-5 on white rice - you should be able to get several pounds (at least five or six).

Voila, you now have enough food for two weeks. That's at least two bowls of rice per day, two eggs per day, a serving of beans every couple of days, and plenty of veggies. That's enough to keep you from going hungry, and although it's not nutritionally complete, as a diet for just two weeks, it's not even all that bad for you. They're gonna be the least exciting meals you'll ever eat, but they'll get the job done.
>>
Ask a friend to borrow 50 bucks, go to soup kitchens, or sell something dumb you have lying around like video games or stuff
>>
>>18339512
>Voila, you now have enough food for two weeks
I'm not OP, but I'm also not overweight and eat more than that every week
>>
>>18339512

This guy has it right, OP. I do this all the time just to save money. Rice + Beans + whatever was on sale at the store/about to expire in the fridge.

Also chicken thighs and drumsticks are cheap
as all hell if you want some meat. My local grocery generally sells them for $0.79 a pound when they're clearing out their freezers.
>>
>>18339355
You want cheap carbs and cheap protein.

Rice and potatoes for carbs.
Eggs and beans for protein.

You're welcome.
>>
If you have an Asian market of some sort near you, you can probably get roughly 3 tons of rice and beans for 14 bucks.
>>
>>18339364
Yuuuup.
Ramen & Tobasco. It's a meal in itself. Delicious!
>>
>>18339512
Only buy potato and eat potato. Potato soup, mashed potato, baked potato, fry of French. 40 pound eat food.
>>
>>18340594
/thread

rice, and beans are the cheapest option

DO NOT BUY CANNED BEANS

take this week to learn your ass how to cook beans from scratch as they are a fraction of the cost.

5lbs of beans and 5lbs of rice can be used to live on for 50 days in a survival setting, so a 2-3 lb of each should be enough for the week. That comes to

roughly 5 dollars for beans
roughly 4 dollars for rice

then splurge on some salt, pepper, butter maybe to add some flavor and you are SET.
>>
>>18341345
Are beans healthy? Honest question.
>>
>>18341345
That's under 1300 calories a day. Not enough, dude, and calories aside, he'll be seriously shorting himself on protein (less than half the recommended daily intake), which is arguably worse. Of course it's possible to live on that for two weeks but it's not healthy and there's no reason for him to do so.

The food he makes is gonna taste like sand regardless, the point is for him to actually be full and get the nutrition he needs to stay reasonably healthy. Seasonings of any kind (except for salt because you need a certain amount of that to live, but you can get that basically for free) are a luxury.
>>
>>18341370
Yes, in general they 100% are, granted you dont drench them in animal fat or salt (some of both fat and salt will actually make it a bit more beneficial) Rice and beans combined create a complete protein (thus other forms of protein like meat are not necessary in this diet). They do not provide ALL the nutrition you need to survive, but you can live on beans and rice for months at a time with no health problems.

Potatoes are also a good choice if they are on sale, but often beans and rice are cheaper. I also like the idea of getting a few veggies at a local farmers market if you have spare money after beans, rice and taste improvers (butter, salt, pepper).

TL;DR the healthiness of beans depends purely on how you prepare and/or serve them. Plain beans are absolutely healthy. A 1 to 1 ratio between beans and olive oil in a single dish is not.
>>
Also, it's weird that nobody's brought up the possibility of food pantries etc yet (including me). I used to get half my food (probably more) from that shit. Unless he lives somewhere pretty far off the beaten path there's PROBABLY one nearby, and he'll probably be able to get veggies and fruit and hell, even bread and sweets - enough to eat a basically normal diet. Some do have eligibility requirements - you have to be able to prove that you live below the poverty line - but many do not.
>>
>>18341387
I realize it is not enough to survive on in the long term. I meant it as a bare minimum for daily nutrition on a short term scale in emergency scenarios.

Beans and rice are a complete protein. I agree, he should not be working out on a diet like this or exerting himself should and splurge to get more of each if can take the bland taste, but i wanted to provide a baseline. Not a practical long term solution.

I mean if you want luxury OP for cheap then start dumpster diving, plenty of free guides out there.

And yeah throw in some eggs and potatoes if you can afford it.
>>
>>18341403
oh shit and soup kitchens, boy i feel like a dumbass.

Most food pantries TOSS their shit out, so take advantage of every church in your area as they likely give all this shit we're talking about out for free.

I have 2 lbs of beans, 2 lbs of rice, mac and cheese, and eggs purely because the church i attend could not find someone to take the food they were offering for free.. so yeah food pantries
>>
>>18341420
Yeah, I don't know why I didn't think to mention that last night. Seriously, I used to live on less than $1 / day and had to watch my diet to keep from GAINING WEIGHT. It's not like I was eating gourmet stuff or anything but by hitting up programs through the local churches I got more donuts, bread, frozen pizza and hot dogs and shit than I really even needed, stuff that the stores otherwise would have thrown out.
>>
(Not to mention basic ingredients like beans, flour and rice of course. Also soda.)

So yeah, OP, can't give you specifics because I don't know where you live, but more than likely there's something like that where you are.
>>
File: 1492380377989.png (550KB, 350x400px) Image search: [Google]
1492380377989.png
550KB, 350x400px
>>18341400
Nice info!

Yesterday I made some lentils and beans in some dilluted, low-sodium bone broth and several spices, no oil. It was so delicious that I couldn't believe that it was healthy.
>>
>Chicken vegetable soup
$5 worth of ingredients will easily make something like twenty meals, with MEAT, and it keeps well in the freezer.
>>
>go on kickstarter
>ask for $80
>get it
>eat properly
>>
>>18341323
go away Paddy
>>
Rice and beans.
Cup Ramen and eggs.
Potatoes and cheap beef.
Lentils soup.

It's not too hard to eat on the cheap and still get a decent nutritional meal.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.