[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm an atheist, and my girlfriend of about 10 months is

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 3

File: 1491600743519.jpg (65KB, 411x412px) Image search: [Google]
1491600743519.jpg
65KB, 411x412px
I'm an atheist, and my girlfriend of about 10 months is a Christian. Over the past couple weeks/month, she has been becoming more and more devoted to her faith while continually telling me that I need to "try" to believe in God.

Last night, she told me that I need to try my hardest to believe in God or else she can't be with me. She says that a Christian-based relationship is what she's always wanted, which is why I need to believe. It's becoming more and more frustrating as this goes on because I don't believe it is my duty to change my entire worldview and who I am in order for her to be in the relationship that she's always wanted.

Should I tell her that I can't be the person she wants me to be, or should I keep trying to convince her that we can be together despite our differing views?
>>
>>18318289
As a Christian, i would say that you two could be together without you changing your belief system.
>>
>>18318295
You could also try telling her that not everyone has the same gifts given at birth. Cite Matthew 25:14-30, or Luke 19:12-27
>>
>>18318289
Dump the crazed bint.

Personally I'd have a full argument over why she's going fruity to set the scence, perhaps even save her from going full tard, but likely it'd just make the breakup more natural.

After all if you went passively into the night she may not realise her righteous path is actually kinda bullshit.
>>
>>18318295
You should read your Bible more often. Marrying unbelievers is not supported

2 Corinthians 6:14
>>
>>18318313
being together =/ marriage
>>
>>18318316
What? If you're a Bible-believing born-again Christian why would you be dating if not to get to know someone for marriage? Even in the context of non-romantic relationships believers are expected to not walk with unbelievers.

1 Corinthians 15:33

Again read your Bible. Set aside time for it every day and start with the New Testament.
>>
>>18318339
The embarrassment of the west, ladies and gents.
>>
>>18318339
I think that's retarded. Im sure the Bible didn't mean that, this would mean i'd have to abandon all my friends because they are not Christian. Love thy neighbour is more important.
>>
>>18318339
>New Testament
The fake part of the bible, then?
>>
>>18318354
It doesn't matter what you think. You can't just pick and choose parts of the Word that you believe.
>>
>>18318358
What I'm saying is Jesus didn't say "If you spend time with unbelievers you will go to hell."

He spent a lot of time with sinners.
>>
>>18318358
Into the trash it goes.
>>
>>18318366
Yeah sinners who turned from their sin and followed Him. He didn't join in on their sin or try to fit in.
>>
>>18318373
...And therefore you can spend time with unbelievers, but keep focused on Christ.

Isolation from people is not Christianity.
>>
>>18318289
Besides that, do you share same views on family and stuff?
You can 'try' believe in something you don't believe, but in the long run?
I'm atheist too, and I would never raise my child religiously for example. I wouldn't ever tell my son sex is a sin.
Think about it practically, if you see it working good there's no problem.
>>
My former girlfriend was the exact same way. I knew going in that she was christian and it didn't bother me but as the relationship progressed she got more and more religious, to the point where she was forcing me to go to church and demanding that I believe in god and jesus. honestly, it's just not going to work. you can't force someone to believe something and if she desperately wants a christian based relationship then she needs to look elsewhere. if you're an atheist and you stay with her then you'll be miserable every single day of your life if you marry her and you'll always be pressured to do something you don't want to do

end it now. trust me. these people can't be reasoned with
>>
>>18318339
1Corinzi 7:10-16
You are a dumb idiot I you think a
christian should dumb a atheist.
But OP have to dump the bitch because she is not a real Christian, she is a dipshit
>>
I am >>18318449 , my gf is really christian and that makes her retarted, but anyway she is nice and we will eventually marry in church because I don't give a shit about it
>>
>>18318289
Ask yourself the following questions:
Do you think there is something intherently wrong with being religious/christian?
do you believe being atheist is better than being religious?
how do you want your children to grow up?
Do you hold on to your opinon, just because you are being right?
Are you ok with lying to your girl and everyone else?

You as an atheist have the comfort of "knowing" that you won't be punished by god for giving false testament. As long as you are ok, with a religious life you could just LARP as a christian, like Jordan B. Peterson does.
>>
>>18318475
Oh for fucks sake God is not the driving factor of atheist moral choices.

Needing an external carrot and stick is for moral peasants. Imho.

If OP lives a lie his punishment is living a lie, you don't need a god to want to avoid doing that.

He should dump the sanctimonious cow. Confusing the signposts for the way, bah humbug.
>>
>>18318289

If this chick goes to church, she's proactively being fed a line that she "needs religion", that you "need religion", and that she "needs to change you".

Can you make it work, yes. But do you want to make it work with someone who's so weak they need to be fed a philosophy on how to live their life. The church teaches that God is more important than you are, which reading between the lines means that her pastor has more say on your relationship than you do. Is that what you want?

I made a decision a long time ago that religion has no part of my life or relationship, so it would be intolerable for me. But perhaps you can put up with that...?
>>
>>18318289
Honestly I would try to reason with her. I've gone through a similar situation, and unfortunately it didn't work out, but every person is different and they may be willing to change their stance on the issue. I was angry that she would just throw away all the time we spent together, just for what I thought was a stupid little thing, but I came to understand that it is her religion and it is something that is very important to her. It sucks op, but if she does chooses her religion over you, just understand that you can't hate her for her decision.
>>
>>18318660
Oh please, OP is perfectly free to hold her in the same regard as he might have for anyone who ran off to join a cult.

Perhaps 'hate' would be too strong but disinterested contempt might not be far off the mark.
>>
Just take a stand and let her know that she isnt going to change your mind, and she can either accept that or leave. Let her make that choice.

You absolutely can make an Atheist / Christian relationship work as like as the former isnt trigged by religion like some of the autsists here, and the latter understands that they have to respect the decision that you made with your God-given free will.

>t. mostly Christian, Universalist
>>
Have you tried just reading the Bible?
Also you don't have to believe in God to live a life with Christian based morals
>>
File: 1494626838493s.jpg (2KB, 125x92px) Image search: [Google]
1494626838493s.jpg
2KB, 125x92px
>>18318289

You cannot have a stable relationship.

One dog must eat the other in this bloody fight.

>Don't get involved in a relationship expecting the other person to change

She's smart in saying she can't be with you.
>>
OP here. One of her reasons for trying to get me to believe in God was that I had been experiencing extremely long bouts of depression, and she felt that I needed God to be happy. Naturally, I was resistant to that idea because there was simply no explanation of the existence of God that satisfied all my objections. I have been doing a lot better recently, but she still sees it as a requirement that I believe in God.

When I try to reason with her, it basically comes down to that she's always wanted a relationship in which both she and her partner worship God. I don't disrespect her beliefs, in fact I'm happy that she has something she can follow and as a result be happy, but her beliefs just aren't for me. I want her to have a relationship she's always wanted, but I'm having trouble seeing how she can have that in a relationship with me.

I'm fairly certain that the relationship is going to have to end, I don't exactly want it to end because I don't think our general beliefs really conflict that much, but if the relationship continues she's going to be living in a state of hoping that I'll eventually believe in God, and I just don't want her to live in a state of false hope.
>>
Dated a muslim girl which is kinda similar. My advice:

To them their religion is their husbando. Their imaginary boyfriend. Their canada fling. It's not fucking real but tell them that and they flip out. They KNOW they are lower than you, they know they're not as good as you so what they do is they try to make you compete for them. No other guy will fight you for them so they'll bring up an imaginary guy, God, Jesus, Mohammed, bearded fuckwit no5.

You have to beat them, the best guys ever, to get her, because she's just /that/ much worth it.

Personally I dumped a bitch but maybe you can figure it out from where I left off.
>>
>>18318694
Would she accept it if you were more agnostic than atheist, but still not Christian?

You could look into the more scientific theories behind "God" and see if any of them sound plausible to you, such as Programmer / Simulation or uncomprehensible advanced alien race?

Not trying to "convert" your beliefs, Im just throwing out an idea.
>>
>>18318694
Well, you could always choose a reading of the word "God" that doesn't rankle so much with, well, atheist values.

Me, I don't mind the pantheist interpretation even given my general atheism and tendency to get roused to anti-theism by incorrigible god-botherers.

Perhaps you could find common ground over something like that.

Less likely to work if she insists on a flowing beardy man biblical interpretation.
>>
>>18318721
I had a little give in my beliefs a while ago where I was essentially agnostic. I told her about this, but it still wasn't good enough. Basically, the only way she's going to be satisfied is if I go to church every Sunday, join her worship group, etc. I have gone to church with her a few times to support her, but just being there with her wasn't good enough.
>>
>>18318289
She cant force you to believe in a God you don't believe him.

Sorry anon, this one might not work out. Best of luck.
>>
I dated a Mormon for a while and this is what ended our relationship. I'm Agnostic - but lean Atheist, in that I don't believe in God but feel that if evidence could be presented of one, I would excitedly accept it.

I felt that being a good person to others was a reward in and of itself, but she felt that regular attendance of church was important, that raising our children in the church was important, and that I'd need to convert if we were going to get married... but that would just be one big lie to me. I feel like if there IS a God, not fully accepting him and just playing pretend for my own selfish desires would endure more wrath than anything.

So I ended it, and it's for the best. She found someone that believes like she does, I get to enjoy my hedonism.
>>
>>18318743
Its just not going to work then, unless she can accept that youre never going to be that type of man.

Sorry bro.
>>
>>18318289
i've dated more religious people than not, and it hasn't really ever been a problem. i think what it really boils down to is that she lacks the fundamental respect for people with beliefs that are different than her own.

basically what i'm trying to say (nicely) is that your girlfriend is a manipulative cunt who's giving you an ultimatum because she doesn't respect your boundaries

it's going to be extremely hard and i'm very sorry but you really do have to break it off clean with her. otherwise she might try to trap you with a baby or some other equally crazy bullshit.
>>
>>18318688
I have read most of the Bible, in fact my father was a pastor and I went to church every Sunday for most of my childhood. However, as long as I've been able to question things, the idea of the existence of God just never sat right with me. As for morals, between me and her our morals are basically the same, only mine aren't based in religion. If it were only a problem of morals, then there wouldn't be a problem. Unfortunately, she needs me to fully believe in order for her to be satisfied.
>>
>>18318743
From everything you've said, you have been more than accommodating to her in terms of her beliefs, are happy for her to find joy and comfort in her beliefs, and have been a good, supportive boyfriend: she has no grounds to expect this from you and frankly I find it a red flag that she has so little respect for your worldview. If this was the reversed situation, with you trying incessantly to convince her that there was no God and that she should just keep her secular ethics while abandoning her faith, you would be vilified.

Phrase it like that, as an ultimatum that either this hypocritical behavior will end or you're going to leave her, and if she still has this evangelism complex, then dump her.
>>
>>18318289
>I'm an atheist
Stopped reading right there. Don't forget to tip your fedora on the way out
>>
File: WEW LADDY.png (840KB, 1029x765px) Image search: [Google]
WEW LADDY.png
840KB, 1029x765px
>>18318356
>implying it isn't all fake.
>>
she's manipulative and doesn't respect you. dump her
>>
Went to church with a gf once. Bunch of loonies, we're not together anymore.
>>
>>18318289
tell her "Satan had a point" and talk about shit that Satan said or did
>>
Help
>>
>>18318289
Your relationship is not going to work, I am sorry.

I am a devout Christian and my boyfriend is an athiest Jew.
I would never try to push my beliefs on him, and I keep it a separate part of myself unles he specifically inquires about it.

Your girlfriend should have the same respect for you as you do for her. She is likely doing it out of a place of caring because she "wants you to go to heaven too", but that is an excuse.
If she cannot respect your beliefs, then the relationship will not work. I'm sorry.
>>
>>18318438
I second this having been dumped myself by a Christian girl for this reason. Doesn't matter how much the relationship has going for it, religion is a deal breaker for some. Unfortunately some cannot look past the religious bullshit.
>>
She doesn't respect you as a person. If religion comes before you, that's un-Christian like (which most Christians are). If she's becoming more religious while with you, perhaps she already found another she's interested in and is reasoning the break-up with you for them which is a different kind of fucked up.
>>
>>18320665
This is probably what happened to me. Bitch used it as a easy guilt free way out to pursue another dude because she couldn't just be honest.
>>
>>18318289
I'm a Jew married to a Catholic. From the start we decided never to discuss religion, and we have lived happily for 20 years.
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.