[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

joke in a cover letter? yay or nay. I'm horrific at writing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: thX6X7F1R6.jpg (11KB, 259x170px) Image search: [Google]
thX6X7F1R6.jpg
11KB, 259x170px
joke in a cover letter?
yay or nay.
I'm horrific at writing cover letters and I need a segue from generic shit to relevant info and I was thinking of something like
'Aside from the usual spiel' and go from there.
Thoughts?
>>
Lame joke, not funny and not professional. Needs to be one or more. Also isn't "spiel" technically Yiddish?
>>
>>18317477
So? It has entered common phrase at this point.
Also its for a cleaning job, not some corporate job.
>>
>>18317476
If it's a quirky job and if you're obviously the best candidate and got tons of others job lined down ... maybe.

Otherwise, nah.
>>
>>18317483
You're not wrong, and I don't really care it's Yiddish, just seemed like an odd choice. It's like saying you've got a lot of chutzpah as one of your qualities, kinda.
>>
>>18317491
While working in my last job at xxxx, I was involved in a variety of areas with different requirements and such have learned many different skills within the Hospitality industry. Some of them include

better? I hate cover letters.
i'd add it to my CV but it's big enough.
and i'd delete shit but its relevant x.x'
>>
>>18317476
Aside from obviously quirky stuff (like working for a game shop) no-one has ever been denied a job for being too professional, but tons of people have been passed over for being too casual. Just be simple and to-the-point. Search 'how to write a cover letter' for good tips and examples if you're really struggling.
>>
>>18317509
>involved in a variety of areas with different requirements and such have learned many different skills
That's a very long-winded way of saying nothing at all. Say specifically the areas you worked in, say specifically the requirements of the job, say specifically what skills you gained, and say it all quickly enough that whoever reads it isn't going to space out before the end. An example from my own CV
>Six years of working with a tradesman (doing things such as home repair, decorating, landscaping, and fencing) has taught me the values of working to a timed schedule and being in sync with a team, as well as working to a precise standard and even liaising with customers.
What I did, how I did it, what I learnt, all in one sentence and ticking boxes employers want. Most of it bullshit of course, I was just labour who sometimes painted, but they don't need to know that. There's a ton of resources on the web that can help you with this, use them.
>>
>>18317519
I'm not writing a cv. I have one.
I'm writing a cover letter.
Also I've moved on to just the generic shit, I really couldn't care at this point.
>>
>>18317528
Same principle.
>I really couldn't care at this point
You should include that on the letter.
>>
>>18317491
it takes a lot of chutzpah to put chutzpah on your cv as one of your qualities.

i remember a Murkan mate who had put shit like "friendly" , "trustworthy" , "dependable" and that kind of crap on his. = beta tells.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.