[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can you be a christian and not believe in god? I'm not

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

Can you be a christian and not believe in god?

I'm not too hot on the mythology but I strongly believe that christianity is important for family, community and tradition. I want to marry a christian wife and raise christian children. But I don't want to pray or believe that the christian god exists. Am I a fucking retard?
>>
>>18314775
No you stupid fuck. Stop LARPin
>>
>Am I a fucking retard?
Obviously.
>>
>>18314775
>Can you be a christian and not believe in god?
Can you believe in god and not believe in god?

>Am I a fucking retard?
Yup. You can just do things a certain way
>>
yes it's called cultural christianity

don't listen to people on /adv/, biggest collection of numales and tumblr whores after reddit
>>
>>18314775
I'm the opposite. i think the traditional christan values are retarded but I believe in god. Make of that what you will.
>>
>>18314775
You are a fucking retard. You can't pick and choose which part of the cult you like, just live with the values you like, and dont put a label on it.
>>
>>18314841
People literally do that all the time.

Do what you want OP, I imagine it's way more common than you'd think seeing there is a stigma against non-believers. People hide shit all the time.
>>
>>18314775
> I strongly believe that christianity is important for family, community and tradition
> But I don't want to pray or believe that the christian god exists.
jesus christ you dont have to be a christian to live by the values. just take the values and forget the religion, how is this solution not obvious. besides, its not like kindness and respect or whatever is exclusive to christianity. sorry for being harsh toned.
>>
File: Beautiful Christianity 005.png (703KB, 1429x1074px) Image search: [Google]
Beautiful Christianity 005.png
703KB, 1429x1074px
>>18314775
No. A lying pretend Christian, yes. But not a real one.

Here are some ideas how to aquire faith, aside of asking God for it:

MENTALLY: Read "Mere Christianity" by CS Lewis, "The courage to be" by Paul Tillich (!), and "Cogito ergo Credo" by Hänsel-Hohenhausen.

EMOTIONALLY: Start looking into Hesychia Meditation / Jesus Prayer, visit some Taizé Services (or better: Taizé itself if you are european), take part in a worship service. Meditate in Eucharistic adoration and pray the Rosary and the Wreath of Christ bracelet. There is something out there for almost everyone.

Considering your marriage idea: You'd be CONSTANTLY lying to your wife. How do you think that'd make her feel? As well: Do you think THAT is christian and furthers positive christian influence?

Just be honest with the girl. Plenty of Christian Girls are willing to date Atheists (like you) as long as they do not fight Christianity and share it's moral values.

If you are willing to lie your whole life however is certainly not sharing it's values.
>>
I have a very different kind of mindset from yours.

I guess I'm just a very spiritual person, despite the fact that I don't really care about going to churches or such (I still do though). Obviously, I don't think there is only one god either, I think that's being close-minded. I think about the concept of god that has been ingrained in me ever since I grew, but not particularly following it like a lamb either.

Before this gets to long; basically, I accept all concepts of gods, no matter how true or fake they are, but neither do I follow them blindly. I'm a christian, but not a stern strict follower either. I believe more that God (however it may be or how many there are) are always with you regardless and as long you respect the idea or treat them humbly, they will treat you kindly. I hate the idea of always praying or asking something from the higher heavens, but I don't forbid it either.
>>
>>18314775
Look up 'Christian atheism' on Wikipedia. If you go to church and say grace and bash fags and non-closeted atheists then yes, you're a deceitful cunt. But I'm an atheist raised in a Christian family and I'm thankful for the values of humility, generosity, kindness, and patience that that upbringing gave me. Even the the cautious approach to sex, waiting for someone you really love, helped me really be patient for the right girl and avoid a lot of pain and bad decisions and drama that little rat shit kids in high school just seem to thrive on these days (though I still think abstaining from ALL sex before marriage is naive). I think it would be good for your kids for you to expose them to the still-valid ethics of the Bible in almost a historical analysis sort of way. But don't fake believing in god, or tell them to believe or not to believe - it's best to let them come to their own conclusion. I think the very fact that my parents still love me even though they know I'm an atheist really validated the unconditional love that underpins Christian values and actually made me more receptive and sympathetic to Christianity.
>>
You don't have to be Christian to have values or a sense of morals dude.
>>
File: jaguar2.png (208KB, 341x388px) Image search: [Google]
jaguar2.png
208KB, 341x388px
>>18315450
Hey anon, i just wanted to say that i like you, especially for this part:
>Even the the cautious approach to sex, waiting for someone you really love, helped me really be patient for the right girl and avoid a lot of pain and bad decisions and drama that little rat shit kids in high school just seem to thrive on these days
Bless you, anon!
>>
>>18315476
Thanks famu, glad someone found it helpful. It sometimes feels to me like there's such a polarity on sexual behavior: either fuck everything that moves with abandon or cloister yourself. Sex isn't evil or immoral, people just don't get that it's a subtle thing that you have to treat carefully. It's almost paradoxical, in that you have to hold it to a certain reverence as a special gift without giving it the intense moral gravitas that makes you think you can ONLY have sex with THE ONE SINGLE PERSON who you will spend FOREVER with. It's tricky and a little cautiousness and waiting for that special (first) someone goes a long way.
>>
>>18314775
Well, no, but you can still follow christian values.
>>
>>18314775
>But I don't want to pray or believe that the christian god exists.
You do know christianity acknowledges the existence of other Gods?

Yahweh (Jehovah, God, etc) is said to be one of many Gods, BUT he's the ultimate, supreme and all powerful creator of the universe. This is apparent in Exodus and Deuteronomy

AKA, don't worry about the rest.
>>
>>18314841
>You are a fucking retard. You can't pick and choose which part of the cult you like, just live with the values you like, and dont put a label on it
tell that to 90% of the religious people on the planet
>>
>>18314775
It's called having Christian morels / values, not being Christian.

See >>18314813 for the reason why
>>
>>18314775
Nah you're better off than those fully paid up God botherers, less ethically compromised too.

It is, after all, moral midgetry to do things not because they're the right thing to do, but to do them out of animal fear of hell and fire; live the values and if there were a god you've a clearer conscience than those snivelling suckups who only follow the form because they think they're going to get a reward out of it.
>>
if you google, 'christian atheist', a wiki and bunch of hits come up.

It's obviously possible. I've long entertained the idea of attending one of those 'hip and modern' churches in order to find a suitor. I wouldn't mind attending a church service every other week, just to keep up appearances, if it meant being able to have a decent girl.

You can live as a de facto Christian, be more Christian than most Christians, and not actually believe in all the mythology and hocus pocus stuff.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.