[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Am I being a dick if I don't want to drive my roommate to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: 1469895946638.jpg (36KB, 480x534px) Image search: [Google]
1469895946638.jpg
36KB, 480x534px
Am I being a dick if I don't want to drive my roommate to work and back even though it's on my way and we work the same hours?

It's like an hour bus ride or whatever for him to get to the same general area that we work, only 15 minutes for me to drive on the freeway. He's gotta walk to his stop and account for traffic or a late bus, too.

We got into a big argument tonight because I said I don't care how much he pays me, I don't want to be accountable as his ride. We work the same hours, and it's not out of my way at all, but I feel like it limits me.
>>
If he's willing to chip in for gas, I don't see what your problem is.
>>
How much time does it cost you? If it's more than 10 minutes each day, id ask him to compensate you somehow. Gas money or snacks
>>
>>18314179
Well, you are being a bit of a dick, but only a bit.

I can understand your not wanting to commit (Suppose you felt like going out after work and not coming straight home?).

But you want to choose your fights, and this seems a small point to risk a friendship over. How about laying down some ground rules, like you reserve the right not to carry him on any given day, but will give him a day's notice.

And of course he does have to pay you something, if only gas money, to demonstrate thagt he's not taking you for granted.
>>
>>18314179
you're being irrational yeah
you don't owe him that, but
why ?
>>
>>18314190

This is my basic issue - I don't want to be responsible for days when I need to stay late, or want to hang out with coworkers. I don't want to wait for him when he's late waking up, or if he forgets something and needs to turn around. I just know it's happening eventually.

>>18314186
>>18314188

The couple of bucks for gas isn't really worth my concern of just being responsible for myself. I mean, imagine the off day that I'm late, even... now I'm costing him HIS job.
>>
>>18314197
have you discussed this with him in a calm manner ?
desu; I feel like this is an issue with some people, and not with some others ; I have a friend I know would never put the responsability on me; would only ask me to drive him if it was okay for me on a day to day basis, and another I know would probably get into the habit and start blaming me if I suddenly couldn't / didn't want to anymore / went late
which kind is he ?
>>
>>18314197
>days I want/need to stay late
What's stopping you from just flicking him a text telling him you're staying late and that he'll have to make his own way back home

>he's late waking up
Unless he does this often already, it shouldn't be an issue. And to get around this, you could just tell him "if you're not ready by Xam I'm leaving without you"

>he needs to go back for something
Well he can't exactly do that when he's on a bus either, so I don't see that as something that he's going to ask you to do

>you're late
Well then he can go ahead and catch the bus

Your reasons for not wanting to do this are pretty weak 2bh
>>
I have a friend that has to take an hour bus ride or pay for taxi everyday (which is pretty expensive in my city) to go to the uni and back to his home, there is a girl that usually gives him a ride to his place, but when she isn't there I drive him hom even if I live in the other side of the city (my city isn't big but roads are fucked so I waste one hour to get him in his place and going back to mine), sounds stupid I know but he is my friend and I went through the same hell for years, all that time I always wanted someone to give me a ride because it was pretty tiring. Until this year I got a car, so knowing the situation I gladly offer him to drive him home, is just empathy.

Now I'm not saying it's your duty to drive your roomate to work and back, but you should considerate the favor you are doing for him. Maybe someday you will hope to do the same kind of thing for you.
>>
>>18314208

>text I'm gonna be late

Reasonable enough, but I like to go to happy hour with my coworkers a solid amount. Still though, reasonable.

>late waking up

I don't really monitor his timeliness. He has to be up and out the door two hours before I'm up to account for the bus. But if he's late to catch my car, now he's essentially going to be 2-3 hours late for work by bus, and I'm going to feel obligated to stick around a few extra minutes for him to get in the car.

>I'm late

Bus gets him there super late, I'm the reason he lost his job now. Make sense?
>>
>>18314205

I used to drive our mutual friend when I could to save him from spending an hour or two on the bus, or if he'd just missed the bus. I'm not a shitty, cold person, I just don't want to be counted on when it's not part of my routine.

I'm not a shift worker, I'm salaried, so I don't get to pick and choose when work is done for the day. He is, and has to clock in and out on a rigid schedule, which means he'll be sitting and waiting on me. It's just added pressure when I want the hours before and after work to be at my convenience as best possible, and he doesn't understand that.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.