[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you get a retail or fast food job /adv/? I need some employment

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: 1477561667469.jpg (54KB, 546x896px) Image search: [Google]
1477561667469.jpg
54KB, 546x896px
How do you get a retail or fast food job /adv/? I need some employment quickly and my life might depend on it.

Firing out applications hasn't been working.
>>
>>18310318

thtas basically it. other than also trying to get to know someone who works there, but most places that are corporate owned dont really allow for that, they are only sent the approved files of people who applied online so...
>>
>>18310431
Am I fucked here?
>>
>>18310318
Have you been called in for any interviews? For how long have you been putting in applications? In the area you're applying in, is the population large (with likely a high employment turn-over rate) or small (with a likely low turn-over)?
>>
>>18310318

turnover time tends to be a week, especially when seasonal time begins.
>>
Get the fuck out of California and any other state where there's 10+ unskilled desperate applicants for every 1 entry-level job opening.

>>18310937
>turnover time tends to be a week, especially when seasonal time begins.
The people doing fast food where I live are often in their 40s, and they hold onto these jobs for dear life. Homicides happen because of layoffs.
>>
>>18310318
It's all about location, availability, and enthusiasm.

Three days after dropping off an application or filling one out online, call and ask for the hiring manager. From there you should ask the status of your application and towards the end of the call leave your name and contact information. Make sure to smile the entire time if you're calling so you sound interesting in the position you have applied for. Going in person is all well in good but manager's are extremely busy at fast food places making it easier for them to call you back at their convenience rather than showing up and disrupting them. This helped me gain 2 jobs in a a 14 day span. Good luck, OP
>>
>>18310948
>It's all about location, availability, and enthusiasm.

In that exact order.

>Do you need any help here?
>>Yes, but we can't afford it.
>>
File: needajobletstacoboutit.jpg (200KB, 650x590px) Image search: [Google]
needajobletstacoboutit.jpg
200KB, 650x590px
>>18310318
If you have gotten interviews but have not been hired, it's possible your interview game needs work.

Some questions you might get asked require compliant answers, like

>What makes a good boss?
DO say: I like a boss who gives clear directions and makes their expectations known.

DON'T say: I like a boss who will help the workers when they get behind. Because, why would you be behind in work if you are doing a good job?

>What makes a good workplace?
DO say: Cooperation. Mutual respect between coworkers. Clear expectations. Lots of work to do.

DON'T say: Good pay. Working when I want to. Leaving my shift on time. Being left alone to do my thing.

>Why do you want to work with [fast food or retail company]?
DO say: I like helping people. I like working with the public. I like working at a fast pace. I like working with [service or product]. I like to think about better ways to sell [service or product].

DON'T say: I just need a job, and any job will do.

>What would you do if faced with a difficult customer?
DO say: I would ask questions to better understand the problem. I would make sure the customer gets satisfaction from the situation. I would rely on my training to get the customer what they expect.

DON'T say: I would put the customer in their place. You have to give respect to get respect. The customer is not always right.
>>
>>18311049
Make sure to dress well for the interview, but don't overdress. A clean t-shirt without logos, nice jeans, and clean sneakers are a safe bet. For this type of employment, a button-up shirt, khaki pants, and dress shoes are overkill, because you want to give the impression that you understand the work culture you are going into.

Other advice about staying in touch with the place of employment in a way that is accessible to managers is good >>18310948 .

Also, open availability and willingness to work any hours can go a long way. From my experience working as a secretary at a staffing agency placing people in manufacturing positions, most applicants requested availability for first shift (7AM to 3PM) but were unwilling to work second shift (3:30PM to midnight) or third shift (midnight til whenever), and because of this were not able to be employed because the only openings were on second and third.

During the interview, be confident in your ability to be employed. Be ready to present a clear history of your work responsibilities. Before leaving the interview, do ask that they hire you, in a polite way.
>>
>>18310946
>>18310906
Haven't gotten any interviews, I usually don't recieve any response, or they just email me telling me I don't qualify.

I live in South Jersey.
>>
>>18310318
Proper kitchen work(not fast food) is easy to find if you live in the suburbs with no Mexicans. The work is shitty, hot, and dirty for low pay.

How the process generally works from my experience. I don't do online applications.

>wear some decent, clean clothes, and be clean shaven
>have a basic resume put together
>go in between 2 and 4pm and ask for chef/kitchen manager
>if they need people they will interview on the spot
>if they want you they will offer a job on the spot

You will start washing dishes, but some places will throw you on the line if they are desperate.

>>18311049
I have to disagree on some of these

>I like a boss who will help the workers when they get behind

Good cooks can have their station go down for multiple reasons. Good managers will hop in bail you out.

>I just need a job, and any job will do.

Places desperate for people will take anyone who shows up.
>>
When I was a teenager it took about 2 months from starting to send out applications to getting paid. Don't give up. If you play an instrument try busking in the streets.
>>
GO TO AN EMPLOYMENT AGENCY.

Look up nearby ones. I used one called Randstad. I just got out of trade school and needed a quick job. It paid decent, around 15$ an hour. 40 hours a week 7-330. I'm doing welding now but it's comforting to know if I ever need a quick gig I can just go to an agency and get a job within 24 hours.
>>
Tell them you have a biggus dickus and that you take shit from NO-FUCKING-BUDDY.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.