[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The major I'm interested in most definitely has little to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_1397.jpg (40KB, 540x540px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1397.jpg
40KB, 540x540px
The major I'm interested in most definitely has little to no career opportunities. Should I stick with being a philosophy major (interested for the knowledge), or would majoring in something with better career opportunities be more efficient?
>>
If you can live with the risk that you might never work in your field of study, then by any means go for it. If you can't take that risk, look for something else.
>>
if you've majored in philosphie people you apply to will either think youre a smart dude or a smartass.
It's a gamble but i guess life is a gamble so fuck that if you want to do whatever the fuck, it'll work out somehow. Or not. Probably not, but thats what makes it fun right? Probably not. But thats what makes it fun, right? Probably not.
>>
>>18309733
Answer this question:

"Am I ok wasting the money Im spending for this education, just for the sake of knowledge?"

Theres your answer
>>
File: IMG_1375.jpg (38KB, 480x552px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1375.jpg
38KB, 480x552px
>>18309749
That's uh, that's a good question.
>>
Do you have a plan B of what to do after studying if you don't get a job related to your subject?
>>
>>18309759
Getting an apprenticeship was a plan of mine. Also have an engineer buddy who's willing to basically let me live with him for free cause I'm his only friend.
>>
>>18309759
Not that I'm counting on the latter idea. Things change, especially over the course of several years
>>
>>18309769

>>18309769

Your future plans are studying a useless field for the sake of "knowledge", punking at a friends place and hoping to get a an apprenticeship? I'll give you a few years max until you go full NEET.
>>
>>18309769
>>18309772
Sounds good enough, go for it then.

Honestly, I believe doing what you like is more important than securing the big money.
No sense in making big bucks if you'll work until you're 70, 40 hours a week and then be old and sick with a bunch of money.
Gotta enjoy life and get experience in all kinds of fields.
>>
>>18309779
Just what I always wanted.
>>
Hey, I'm a senior at uni double majoring in comp sci and math. I have one semester extra, and I'm at a point in my life where those majors do not make me happy.

Right now, philosophy, writing, and art make me happy. I'm not good at any of them but I know I'll be much happier doing that than my pseudo-engineering stuff.

If you're a good writer you can do anything, so if you supplement your classes as a philosophy major with other things in business, STEM, education, or whatever, you can have an impact there. Think of it as finding your concentration in your philosophy major and work towards that.

I wish you all the best!
>>
File: 1490310693574.jpg (840KB, 3096x1857px) Image search: [Google]
1490310693574.jpg
840KB, 3096x1857px
>>18309733
Do you get any financial aid at all?

Some majors are more laughable than others; others will get you in the door.
The thing is, you have to do a lot of other shit on the side and make connections. That's pretty much how it usually goes, you can't just stay put like in the STEM melting pot.
>>
>>18309791
I will be applying for financial aid soon. Haven't been able to because of systemic issues but I won't get into that.

Can you clarify what you mean by "making connections"?
>>
>>18309805
>Can you clarify what you mean by "making connections"?
talk to ppl
>>
>>18309816
Buh-buh, BUT IM ANTISOCIAL

No but srsly yeah, fair enough.
>>
>>18309745
Hello philosophy friend.

I majored in philosophy too. It certainly has no career opportunities outside academia. It is a nice degree to move to a master in cognitive sciences.

My advice is that unless you're willing to do a bachelor, then a master, and then a PhD, don't bother with philosophy, because

(1) It sounds like you care about career opportunities, this is having a job after college. A bachelor in philosophy will do nothing for you. Jobs for people with a bachelor degree in philosophy are rare.
This doesn't mean that there are no jobs, but you most of them require a PhD.

(2) To be fair, most people don't like philosophy, even if they enjoy reading it on their spare time. There is quite a difference between enjoying to read a philosophical book on your free time and formal education in philosophy.
It applies to me in a different way: I love literature, but literary theory bores me to death.

(3) We don't have a major/minor distinction where I live, but if you're in the US, you could study something close to philosophy (maybe psychology) with a minor in philosophy.

Also
>interested for the knowledge
the knowledge of what?
you will have to be more specific
>>
>>18309870
I am in fact in the US, and the psychology major idea is definitely a good idea.
>>
>>18309733
Trick question. I did literature / philosophy and after graduating I have ZERO career opportunity linked to that.

Though I'm sure that I would have failed my studies if I went with something else more "bankable" because I wouldn't have been as interested by it.

Also, keep in mind that even after graduating from something with better career opportunities it is NOT guaranteed that you'll have a job.
>>
>>18310007
What are you doing now? Or planning on doing?
>>
>>18310007
Hey I tried something related to press, things were going smoothly, but I was young, stupid and let the opportunity waste away. I was sure something else would present itself one day. I'm still waiting ahah

I won't say that I'm fucked but clearly my career is not enjoyable I'm doing small jobs everywhere for minimal wage. I'm still writing of course but the chances I'll get a real job from this are slim now.

But truth is, I have a friend who was doing psycho and after he graduated I had to make him work with me in a supermarket because he couldn't find anything. I have a shit ton of examples like this among my friends unfortunately.

But if you're in the US things might be different for you I don't know. In France there is a lot of "overqualified" people looking for jobs.
>>
Make philosophy your minor and major in something practical/profitable.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.