[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I'm going to graduate in 4 weeks with a BA in Communications

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_1658.jpg (45KB, 520x423px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1658.jpg
45KB, 520x423px
So I'm going to graduate in 4 weeks with a BA in Communications and a minor in creative writing(I know, go ahead and laugh). I just got an email from a video game testing job in Lynwood, WA that basically offered me a minimal wage contract job, and they want me to train for 3 days next week. Even though it's minimal wage, I figure that if I gain experience in a game testing job, it'll look good on a resume rather than my shitty past experiences such as Walgreens, Gas Station job, etc. I told my folks about it but they pretty much crushed my good mood about it. They don't want me to stay forever if I take it unless it has benefits(dental/med insurance) otherwise it's a waste of time. While I did agree I wouldn't stay there forever, I just wanted a job immediately after graduation so I'm not like the many other college kids who have no job, and pack on the debt for god knows how many years. I figured that maybe a few years of experience, I could apply to better jobs like Microsoft, Nintendo, and Bungie's gaming division. I guess my parents tone and "meh" attitude throws me off because they said go for the job, just don't be "too invested" in it. What the fuck should I do? Take the job and gain some experience, or finish the last few weeks of school without interruptions and find a job afterwards?
>>
accept the job and keep looking for others, when you find a better job offer then take the offer
>>
File: 1490192266885.jpg (68KB, 540x960px) Image search: [Google]
1490192266885.jpg
68KB, 540x960px
pic related is OP in 5-10 years
>>
>>18307710
A job is better than no job, especially if you can use it as spin for a future job interview. Seriously, I turned a summer census job into a stepping stone to a real career, my boss admitted that the way I talked about that job was what got me the job. 5 years later, I've gotten 2 big promotions and I'm making twice my starting salary.

That aside, if you choose to pursue a career associated with your shitty degree, your best bet is to go into corporate social media management.
>>
You know more about the current job market and your specific field of work than your parents do, so if you think it's the right thing to do (which I also do) then take the job.
I worked for months at minimum wage for an agency after graduating, and only now am getting a job related to my field of study. It's worth it even just to get the experience.
>>
>>18307999
We'll aren't you the life of the party
>>
File: 104.png (192KB, 329x545px) Image search: [Google]
104.png
192KB, 329x545px
>>18307710
>I figured that maybe a few years of experience, I could apply to better jobs like Microsoft, Nintendo, and Bungie's gaming division.
>as a tester
>>
>>18307999
Are you serious? Communications is a fine major. Don't listen to this faggot OP.

That being said, Op what do you want to do with your major?
>>
QA only becomes better QAs traditionally, unless you impress management in some way about your abilities in other fields they will never offer you anything else but a QA job.

HOWEVER, QA is actually a hard and valuable job and if you can get good at it you'll be valuable to a company. Trained and professional QAs with a lot of experience are rare and usually companies keep them for a long time because they don't want to have to retrain new ones, just like developers.
>>
>>18307710
If anyone's against you takibg the job, fuck 'em. Take the job and stay in it for about a year or two. Put that shit in your resume, and look for a better job.
>>
>>18308527
Hard to say really. I see myself mostly doing a desk job as I consider writing as my strongest skills. I know for a fact that I'm not a labor worker or a public speaker.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.