[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've been seeing a therapist and psychiatrist regarding

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: lamborghini_countach_lp400s_4.jpg (2MB, 4608x3072px) Image search: [Google]
lamborghini_countach_lp400s_4.jpg
2MB, 4608x3072px
I've been seeing a therapist and psychiatrist regarding my ADHD, and they've stated that attending Vocational Rehabilitation would be in my best interests.

They performed multiple IQ/Apptitude tests and all of them noted that my memory retention and math skills are below average, but my general IQ is 105 with my non-verbal skills floating around an IQ of 125 but a verbal skill around an IQ of 85. I know it's low, but I still believe that I can perform well in college.

My only fear is that I'll go into vocational rehab, be setup with some menial job which will disqualify me to complete college, and be stuck and labeled by everyone in my town as being mentally retarded. I'm not trying to cut anyone who is down, but I was just wondering if anyone here as experience dealing with vocational rehabilitation. I'm just scared is all.
>>
Op here. Anyone?
>>
>>18303095
You cant be denied school access. If anything, you will just have to pass tests to get in.

Listen to your doctor and do it.
>>
>>18303095
Professor writing here.

Nothing you do and no job you hold will automatically disqualify you from college. If you decide after exploring the vocational options that you want to apply to college, you will be treated the same as any other applicant, and admitted or rejected on the same basis as anyone else.

Meanwhile, what you dismiss as menial jobs might be satisfying and build on your talents and abilities better than college-grad jobs might.

The world will always need plumbers, carpenters, bus drivers, barbers, mailmen, firemen, construction workers, auto repairmen, factory workers, etc etc etc - all honorable and well-paying professions.
>>
>>18303335
>>18303257
I appreciate it, and I'm not completely knocking trades jobs; however, my father was an auto repairman--so I've seen the physical tolls that many of these jobs can take out on the worker. I'm just affraid that someone will attempt to set me up on a similar job track that my father followed, and attempt to steer me away from a career path which would allow me to retire comfortably earlier on in my career.
>>
You can do just fine in college, right, although I wouldn't pick a math-heavy major. Vocational Rehab isn't supposed to force you into anything. You have a high enough IQ that you can pick a decent job. Sorry to say, but a lot of the people who get stuck as minimum wage janitors out of vocational rehab are truly mentally handicapped - they don't know how to advocate for themselves, and they can't tell the complete difference between a good and a bad job. The fact you are interested in getting a good job is enough of a sign that you'll be okay.

I think following the advice of someone like a state social worker or a psychiatrist is a decent bet. So long as you keep on the path, and don't make any big mistakes, I think you'll be fine.

You're framing yourself as handicapped, but you're completely average. I don't know a lot about IQ tests or statistics, but I know that 105 has to be pretty average, and a math aversion is more common in today's students than not.

So you're just an average guy (presumably without any money) taking an objective look at his career options. I don't see any problem with that, or any cause for concern or lowering yourself.
>>
>>18303529
>>18303095
forgot to add

you sound very reasonable. most of the time, being reasonable is more important than being intellectually capable. you can still make a great friend, coworker, partner or even parent.

it's not like everyone needs to be a doctor. far as I know, there's a much higher demand for a reasonable common person than a doctor.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.