[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I just finished my PhD in an obscure field and now I teach high

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_2871.jpg (91KB, 628x629px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2871.jpg
91KB, 628x629px
I just finished my PhD in an obscure field and now I teach high school. The girls are really mean and are constantly talking shit about me. I don't have another job lined up, but if this is teaching high school I am kind of good with it.

Will I have some breakthrough about how these distressed teens need my guidance or just have to get bullied and slog through shit all day until I find a better job?
>>
it really depends on the school. with most populations, the class will act however you set them up to act. if you're gonna be a wussbag who gets bullied by children, then you're gonna get bullied by children. if you enforce the rules and have confidence, you'll have a better chance.

in some inner-city schools, kids basically take the class hostage and it's all hopeless, but even in tier 2 lowend schools, the teachers can have some sack and take control

you can probably change schools. every school is a little bit different.
>>
>>18301090
Well this is not a top private school, let's put it that way.
But I don't have many years of teaching experience. The rest of the class is fine it's just this one group of cunts.
They think they are very tough because they are black or Hispanic and have been told they live "hard lives" by sympathetic white people that want heaven points.

It's just not my idea of something I really want to be doing. Forcing a bunch of rascally ass kids to learn stuff they don't want to learn while they bully and demean me and make fun of my appearance. It's like being back in high school all over again.

Maybe I should just take to drinking excessively to numb the feel right out of me.
>>
>>18301110
well they're going to have hard lives if they keep acting like degenerates after the age of 18

I don't know how to tell you to stick up for yourself. You being someone who can be dominated by high schoolers and the kids being part of a degen society are both really big factors at play here. Both of them are within your control - you can control how you act, and you can control what school you work at.
>>
Well I look like a loser being like "you said I have ugly boobs go to the principals office"
I don't see how that's a disciplinary win
>>
>>18301077
The kids are like animals in sone regards. You show confidence, domination, ability to tell them to fuck off, scare them by making them fail the class and the whole class will turn deadly silent with fear / respect.

Be funny teacher, return every skeazy joke back at the kids, smile and be friendly and the class will be full of chatter and sort of chaos.

Behave like stressed man with no confidence and no self image and the kids will turn more and more disrespectful and aggresive towards you each day until sonwthing very bad happens.

If you want to be good teacher, you have to learn how to get respect and get their attention. Some do it by terror and intimidation, some by charisma and being friendly.

Good luck with teaching.
>>
>>18301356
Thanks. I have taught college. This is a little different.
Here is the situation though... most class is respectful and attentive and I have a good rapport with them. A certain group of girls in one period, however, have decided to gang up on me like they might bully a fellow student.
I primarily chose to ignore because "go to the principal for Calling me ugly" is asinine.

However. I will also tell you many of these kids have been taught poorly.

Now, how would you really handle these girls silently calling me ugly all the time but not disrupting class?

Just me as a person, I don't want to go into work every day and be hazed though.
>>
>>18301417
You need to create boundaries, ignoring them is not appropriate. You're showing them they can get away with it. I'm a teacher aide and I work with elementary aged children, but personally I'd try to get the message across in a way that embarrasses them and shows them how stupid it is so they won't want to repeat it again. For instance, if a student talks back to you I'd put on my no bullshit voice, tell him or her not to talk back, and demand an apology. If they're calling you ugly to your face in a way the whole class would hear it, I'd have them come to the front of the classroom, apologize to you, then turn and face their classmates and say verbatim "I'm sorry for disrupting the class" and promising to both you and their classmates that it won't happen again.

It won't be something they like when you start to implement it obviously, and they're going to bitch and moan but be firm. Set boundaries. If you let children walk all over you they will learn that they can.

If they continue the behaviour I would absolutely send them to the principal's for being disruptive and rude. Say something to the effect of if they aren't mature enough to sit respectfully for the lesson, then they can't be in the class.

It's your responsibility to show them what behaviour will and will not be tolerated both now and in their future, don't turn a blind eye to it, you're doing them a disservice.
>>
>>18301437
Yes- I agree, and I certainly do this when kids misbehave.
But this is very covert.

It would require:

"What did you say?"
"Nothing."
"I heard you say something."
"Nope."
"You were saying rude things and calling someone ugly."
"Nope."
"Yes, I heard you. Go to the principals office."

None of this going on is loud enough for the other students to hear or to disrupt class. It's a group of like 5 girls who have decided every class period to just talk about how ugly I am.

And to do it really on the sly so that calling them out WOULD disrupt class And create an embarrassment.

I'm 30 but for some reason they think I'm in my early 20s and these particular girls see me as a target to be brought down.
>>
>>18301509
>*sigh* You realize I can hear you right?
>Principles office. Now.

>But what did we do?

>You know what you did. That's something we can discuss later in detail with Mr/Mrs<principles name>. Now stop disrupting the class and go.
>>
>>18301577
I know.
But it's just not like that.

I do feel they crave punishment though and it may escalate
To
This point.
>>
>>18301509
You don't need to ask them what they said. You know what they said, they know what they said, if you ask them what they said that gives them plausible deniability. Don't play that game with them. You should not be having a back and forth with your students.
>"You were saying rude things and calling someone ugly."
>calling someone ugly
Do not do that. If they're explicitly calling you ugly call them out on it. If they're calling a student ugly call them out on it. Be clear you heard what they said and they are in trouble and not to do it again, none of this wishywashy crap.

>and these particular girls see me as a target to be brought down.
Because you broadcast yourself as one. Command authority, be direct. Expect - and show through your actions - the utmost respect and their best behaviour.

>>18301586
You're doing it wrong. Be assertive and keep it simple. Demand an apology, tell them they are to stop and if they do not that a they will be sent to the principal's. That if this behaviour continues a meeting will be held with their parents/their parents will be informed. If they try to talk back, simply remind them they are not to talk back to the teacher.

Stop letting children walk all over you. You are in a leadership position and so act it.
>>
>>18301629
I'll give it a shot.
It all just seems so cruel to me! I guess it's me, myself, that places so much emphasis on beauty.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.