[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I fell for the meme and got a Computer Science degree I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

File: 1490585413893.gif (675KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1490585413893.gif
675KB, 320x240px
I fell for the meme and got a Computer Science degree
I'm 90% sure I dont know anything

Whats a job I can bullshit my way into thats

1.Above minimum wage at least
2. Doesn't require extensive CS knowledge/being good/competent at programming

It doesn't have to be CS related

But i figure with a bachelors i can bullshit into SOMETHING

im not asking for six figures here just above min wage
>>
>>18299013
Can you use the Google?
Congrats, you're a programmer.

You've got the degree, so you've got the basic skills.
Places will want to see that you've got the basics and the ability to pick up what they teach you.
Apply for a few places and you'll find out how easy it is to get into the industry.

Just beware, it's easy to get in because the industry is a meatgrinder and nobody except your coworkers will have an inkling of what you do is.
Computers are magic for most people.
Use that to your advantage.
>>
>>18299021
i really dont feel like i did anything special in college
i mean you always hear stories on /g/ about going to an interview and the guy asks an on the spot CS question like algorithms that do X or with x and y make z that the poor fuck doesnt know and gets doomed out of a job

It cant be that easy to get into the industry, the guys hiring are usually CS people themselves arent they? they can smell bullshit and there are so many genuinely good people with cs degrees why would they hire me
>>
>>18299021
I was one of the worst folks in my department I got a job. I'm right there with you, wondering how I got an actual degree by accident.

Yeah, you'll get CS questions. They're not just looking for textbook responses (though it is good to know those for technical reasons), they're also looking to see how you act under pressure, if you'll admit you're wrong or unsure, or just clam up and freeze. They want someone who will look for answers if they don't know them.

I've seen smart guys be turned down because they can't communicate. One poor kid didn't say a single word the entire time he was being shown around the building. Not one. Meanwhile, the chain-smoking scene kid who had to retake almost every class got picked up because he was eager to learn and had a lot of out-of-class projects.

And yes, the people doing the interview will be CS (if they're not, that's not a good sign for the business). They know how fast the industry moves. They know how bullshit the HR departments make the applications, asking for twenty different languages and five years experience for fucking entry level positions.

You're going to get turned down a few times, maybe.
And depending on the season, they might take a while getting back.

You've heard "fake it 'til you make it"? Do that. Don't act arrogant or over-promise. Just stay level-headed, firm, and don't gush about concerns.
It sounds a bit patronizing, considering how tense interviews can be. Just remember to breathe, and show that you're taking time to THINK and not speak in panic.
>>
They would hire you because you have a degree. This isn't gonna be your only job for the rest of your life, and if you lose it then you will only have learned from your job before and have a better resume for the next.

And besides, if you are a good enough employee they don't care if you aren't that good, they will help you out. Most jobs lost are because of being a shit employee that would get you fired from any job.

Look at it from their viewpoint: if you are a solid employee, it is cheaper to train you then to hire someone good at code but doesn't do his work; as you actually output more revenue company wise.
Remember: Being a good employee isn't just being good at your practice; it's being good at working with the company guidelines.
>>
>>18299013
It's not a meme

You only fell for the meme of thinking "everyone can program"

If you can't get a 6 figure programming job it just means you suck - I'm an autistic sperglord and I got one
>>
>>18299155
I don't think op ever implied anything like that
>>
>>18299261
Kys
>>
>>18299024
You can do fizz buzz tho right? Also there are exam questions that get asked often and you can prepare for those. And if they mention specific tools in their listing make sure you know something about them at least.
I'm on the same spot as you. Graduating soon and I don't know very much because I always did the bare minimum which lead to mediocre but passing grades. I'm really scared of upcoming interviews because I feel I dont know anything.
>>
Ridiculous
>>
>>18299013
wtf how can you have a CS degree and not know anything? are you just humble bragging?
>>
>>18300503
By only doing asignments. Not doing intetnships. It's pretty easy
>>
>>18300558
You still know shit, find some desperate company and they'll hire you
>>
>I'm 90% sure I dont know anything

This actually tells us you're good at it. Most undergrads think they are hot shit because of the dunning-kruger effect.
>>
>>18300623
This, make sure you include "I dont know jack shit" on your resume
>>
I'm a total hack who flunked an econ degree and I still haven't been fired from my shitty web dev job. Try to give a fuck they like that.
>>
>>18299155
Nice dick measuring you fuckin sperg.
>>
>>18299013
It's not a meme. I graduated in December, had a 2.7 GPA and I got a $70,000 salary job for a defense consulting firm in April.

If you have a degree from a good school and your charisma overwhelms your autism, you'll be golden, OP.
>>
Having the degree helps get you in the interview, says you can stick with something long enough to finish it.

Frankly, most employers know the degree doesn't really amount to much else. They have specific needs and problems in their particular industry that generally require you to learn "how they want it done".

Basically this means that employers look at your attitude and ability to communicate. You have proof that you can follow directions and learn (your degree). You have to prove to them you can be an asset.

Interviews can be a numbers game at times. Don't freak out if you fo poorly at first, learn from it.

If you don't know an answer to a question they ask, say you don't know. Be straight forward in the interview. Give them an example of a time when you didn't know an answer to a problem but you did some research and figured it out. That's probably the most important skill to have in I.T.
>>
>>18299155
I mean, 6 figures right off the bat is a bit of a stretch, unless you've got connections, but mid-upper 5 figures ain't hard.
>>
>>18301557
>good school
>>
>>18301692
Loser
>>
>>18302915
?
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.