[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Need some help guys. My son has a pretty bad case of "nintenditis"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (56KB, 508x636px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
56KB, 508x636px
Need some help guys.

My son has a pretty bad case of "nintenditis" where he would rather game or watch movies than eat. I tried yelling, taking games away, even rewarding him for eating. None of this has worked. Any help would be appreciated.

Would I be a bad parent if his games were to "accidentally" disappear/break?
>>
Why did you get him the games in the first place? If he would rather play basketball than be in the house, you'd pop his ball?
>>
>>18298879
Is he Auschwitz mode, then? If not, why are you forcing him to eat?
>>
Yes. The games and movies are probably separate issues from his unwillingness to eat. By eat do you mean not eating at a family dinner or is he literally starving himself?
>>
>>18298902

He's 14 and weighs probably 70-80 pounds

>>18298906

He'll eat hardly anything, let his food sit until it gets cold, claims to be full, and then goes to game. I tried talking about this with my wife and she won't fucking listen to me.
>>
>>18298900
We tried to get him into sports, but he didn't like it much. So he dropped out of it after a year.
>>
>>18298919
Is there anything he likes? Can you take him with you to do things?
>>
>>18298935
Other than video games and YouTube, he likes playing with my old Legos and shit. He's got a mild form of autism so getting him to do anything he doesn't enjoy makes me want to pull my hair out.
>>
>>18298938
What are your hobbies? What does he think of them?
>>
>>18298938
Try alternative shit then instead of mainstream, boring nonsense. I probably am because this is how I was as a child but it's pretty easy to work around. A big thing that I loved was accuracy; teach him how to shoot an arrow, pitch a baseball, skip a stone.
>>
>>18298946
I'm the one who got him into gaming. When he was very little we used to play on my PS2.

Other than gaming I like history, writing, and just hanging out.

He's not into any of that and he has no real friends other than his cousin that he talks to every once in a while.
>>
>>18298961
I second this. Teach the little fucker something cool and possibly useful if shit hits the fan and society as a whole collapses.
>>
>>18298966
I've tried numerous times to take him out in the woods for walks. We'd talk and I'd try to teach him important skills. No matter how much I drill him on this sort of stuff he just fails to comprehend or remember any of it.
>>
>>18298879
>yelling
Stupid.

>even rewarding him for eating
Very stupid and dangerous.

>Would I be a bad parent if his games were to "accidentally" disappear/break?
Yes. It'd show your impotence to him even more. Besides it's kinda like cheating, so will also fuck up his trust in you.

Why exactly did taking away games not work? Sure he could've refused to eat for a while but after a day or two nature wins. Help by being cooperative instead of overly hardass.

t. was a shitty kid myself
>>
Random thought, does he have depression?
Either way you gotta note that him not eating, seclusions and games are SYMPTOMS, not the actual problem. You are trying to help him, not fix what's wrong; because if you try to fix what's wrong you usually only end up sending the message that the child is something that is wrong.
Personal experience: being told there is something wrong with you, when it is part of what you see as who you are, is the emotional equivalent as saying that your parents hate part of you.
>>
>>18298879
>Would I be a bad parent if his games were to "accidentally" disappear/break?

Why are you so afraid of your own son that you'd resort to these sorts of tricks, rather than just being a parent and laying down rules for him?

Tell him he can only play his games between x o'clock and y o'clock. He has to find something else to do outside of those hours.

Tell him that at dinner time, he should at least try to eat something. If he can't, don't force him to, but regardless of whether he eats or not, video games can't be played during the dinner hour. He must find something else to do.

If he doesn't know what to do, suggest reading, jogging, colouring, puzzles, taking pictures, etc. Maybe buy him a Rubik's Cube.

Don't make it seem like this is a punishment for anything, make it something positive rather than negative. Like, you're not against the games and are happy that he's into them, but you also want to see what other creative ways he can think of to engage himself.
>>
>>18298879
>my son would rather play the games than eat or do anything
restrict him from games until his other responsibilities are fulfilled (this includes eating, doing homework, chores, socializing, etc.)

this is the answer

>what if his games disappeared?
stop grappling with the fact that he wants to game instead of eat and just tell him what to do. you have the authority. don't be a bitch and lie to your son because you're scared.

In my experience, trying to ration the videogames will make the two of you miserable. If the games are getting in the way of responsibilities (including nourishment), tell him he can't play the game until he finishes his plate. That ought to make him love food.
>>
>>18299524
>that ought to make him love food
in case it backfires and he resents eating. be very careful and try not to make it a negative experience. try to make the food very appetizing too, since you're forcing him to eat it.
>>
>>18299530
>>18299524
also take him to the doctor for his checkups and mention his eating habits. my cousin was like this, and it was because he had crone's disease, not because of the videogames.

recap

>responsibilities fulfilled THEN games
>assert your authority, don't do that stupid idea where it "disappears"
>make sure he is happy and the food is good
>make sure to mention his eating habits to his doctor
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.