[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm sure this question has been asked before, but basically

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: 1494016166293.jpg (171KB, 848x1199px) Image search: [Google]
1494016166293.jpg
171KB, 848x1199px
I'm sure this question has been asked before, but basically I have no friends. I can make acquaintances, but always fail to reach actual "friend" level. Even people I used to consider close friends never made an effort to reach out to me, it was always me reaching out to them, which might have been my own need for dependency. How do I stop being lonely? inb4 "just bee urself :)"
>>
What do you do for a living? What type of people do you hang out with? What's your hobbies?
>>
>>18289568
I'm a college student. And before you suggest campus clubs, I've already checked all the ones I'm interested in out, no success besides making a few acquaintances.
I'm willing to hang out with anyone, but I'm naturally introverted, so large groups make me uncomfortable, and I'm not terribly good with the dudebro/fratboy type.
Pretty general hobbies. I like to do archery, read mysteries, play vidya games, kendo, weeb shit, or just try something new.
>>
>>18289646
Hang out with art kids, they're into shit like that. Also literally wasn't going to suggest clubs, I graduated college and forgot they existed completely.

Try acting, you said you're introverted, I was too, but like actors always bunch up together, they always want to get a drink or something.

Also try something that isn't on campus, like do one of your hobbies from outside that institution. Also, just pointing out the obvious, but your introversion is also probably getting in the way of you making deeper relationships.

Do you know why you are introverted? Is it because of bullying in the past or is it a present insecurity that you hold, like you don't have a lot of income to do cool things while hanging out or that you don't want people to come over to your house/apartment/wherever the fuck you live and see how you live?

Also, those are some cool hobbies. What kind of mysteries do you read? Any Sherlock Holmes? Where do you do kendo? Through your school or somewhere else? Also what other weeb shit do you do? Do you do Western archery or like Japanese archery? Also what video games do you play?
>>
>>18289646
Also, when you say the people you used to consider close friends didn't make an effort to reach out to you? Did you ever pull away from them because you were depressed? What do you mean also by your own need for dependency? Do you mean you're a clingy person? Or do you mean that you feel like you are burdensome to other people by asking them to hang out with you? Or do you mean that you feel needed human company and friendship, which is natural, is too dependent and unhealthy?

Also, are you living away from home or on your college campus? Living alone?

Also, try getting a penpal. A penpal is nice because it's not face to face and it can ease you into normal human relationships and give you that one on one you want with no real social anxiety pressure as you say you're introverted.
>>
I've been there OP. Had really bad social anxiety for a while, and the only thing that brought me out of it was doing things that made me uncomfortable. Take the initiative to ask acquaintances to hang out or chat. If you're introverted/quiet, chances are that people aren't asking you to do things because you haven't shown that you're fun and interesting to be around.
>>
>>18289694
>>18289707
Most of my high school friends were the artsy type, but most of them turned kind of insane and extremist liberal after graduation for some reason. Like, "threaten murder if you vote for Trump" kind of extremist. In retrospect, I was always sort of tiptoeing around a number of topics, and it never felt I could open up to them in case I pissed someone off somehow. I don't know that I really want to aim for the art kids again.

I have tried looking for off campus activities, but between a number of factors (financial included), it's tough to find anything. I can force myself to do things I don't REALLY enjoy for the sake of making friends, so my introversion isn't a large problem on that front.

Honestly, no clue as to why I'm introverted. I've always been self depreciating, I suppose that's the only explanation.

Thanks! Any kind, but I love closed room murder mysteries especially, since trying to pin the culprit before they're actually revealed is really fun. I used to do kendo back at home, don't really have much time to do it at school sadly. Other weeb shit is just general stuff like manga, JP culture, etc. I've been trying to learn the language as well. Archery is Western however, Japanese archery has some things that make it kind of stupid in my opinion.
My vidya taste is really broad, I can enjoy really any genre besides point and clicks. I suck at rhythm games though, even if I enjoy them.

No, I didn't particularly pull away as far as I can remember. And I guess I can be clingy, but largely because I don't have many friends to begin with?

I live on campus most of the year, I'm back at home until September now, and trying to change myself so I can actually make friends next semester. I had a roommate this year, we got along but never really became close honestly.

Where would one find a penpal?
>>
>>18289762
>>18289762
Will do, thanks.
>because you haven't shown that you're fun and interesting to be around.
How do other people generally exhibit this? I consider myself kind of boring, I'm not very funny at all.
>>
>>18289564

These threads make me sad, you sound like a quality person OP, just keep doing what you are doing and the right people will be drawn to you.

But also remember that some people just don't reach out to people they enjoy spending time with, one of my closest friends plays the passive role and I am always the one making plans to spend time together. But you should be able to tell the difference between this and people who are just trying to avoid you.
>>
>>18290628
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.
>>
There's 2 big fat things that invoke feelings of friendship:
First one is understanding and similarity. The more you know about someone the friendlier you will become with that person (unless the things you find out about him repulses you, ofc). The more things you have in common with someone the more you'll like them. If you feel that they have the same beliefs, preferences and way of thinking like you it will be very easy for you to befriend them.

The second one is experience and excitement. This is a lot more important, you basically feel closer to someone as you experience things together. The more extreme and exciting, the better, but most experiences make people form emotional connections to each other, from working on a though project to getting lost in the woods at night. Also alcohol tends to help a lot here. I can't tell you exactly what to do here, but the bottom line is that if you want to make friends with your acquaintances the fastest way is to find an exciting activity to do together. You probably can't find anything too exciting in your daily life, but things like sports, club hopping camping etc help a lot too.

"just bee urself :^)" is a legitimate advice here. If you're never open and don't let your personality show then the people around you won't have a way of understanding you and finding any similarity in you with themselves. Which will always keep them at the "just acquaintances" phase. I bet you're the kind of guy who thinks twice before saying anything because you're worried someone might dislike what you say. So, first thing you should do, force yourself to be more open. Don't be afraid to talk about your hobbies, to show your real beliefs, to express your direct thoughts, even if not everybody will agree with them. And you know, try to get to know people better. Don't talk only about the weather and the latest meme, approach "deeper" subjects and talk about personal things.
>>
>>18289564
If you want, we can be internet friends. And I'm also interested in to vidya, JP culture and (well, not manga but) anime. If you have a fancy for literature, linguistics and psychology then we could talk about that too!

From your description you seem to share the same struggle as I. But one difference is that I usually cut contact when someone is incredibly passive, never initiates anything - I just feel so unwanted and adds to my self-esteem issues.

And as some Anon said before, it is a shame that you have to go through with this, because you seem like a quality person I'd really like to hang out with.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.