[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm in dire need of help /adv/. This is my situation: I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: class.jpg (161KB, 540x360px) Image search: [Google]
class.jpg
161KB, 540x360px
I'm in dire need of help /adv/. This is my situation: I'm a 23 year old male college student, I've got a bachelors degree in psychology and I'm currently pursuing a two year masters degree in cognitive ergonomics. I hit a pretty rough patch on the personal end of things about two years ago which forced me to drop out of college for the entirety of last year. I've enrolled again this year and I'm now facing exams.

The thing is this: I fucking HATE school, I despise the fact that I have to sit there for hours taking notes, bringing "work" home after class time, having to spend hours learning stuff for exams (which comes with a great deal of pressure). I just can't see the end goal of it all. Working a 9-5 job in an office amongst people I don't want anything from other than a paycheck ?

The issue is that these 5 years have been fully sponsored by my parents, and therefore I feel pretty obligated to finish my degree, even if it is slowly turning into such a heavy load that I can't get myself to handle it mentally. College life has in fact slowly but surely propelled me into depression.

So yeah, have any of you been faced with a situation such as this one ? What did you do ? How do you feel about it now ?
>>
>>18288565
1. get counselling, now. CBT would help.
2. remind yourself it's only temporary, and that it will get you closer to your goals.
3. don't be harsh on yourself.
4. you'll be fine. talk to your parents about your concerns.

Look, if you take a glance at many of the posts here on adv you'll see a good many of them are about people trying to get back into school after dropping out or not having gone straight after high school. so consider yourself doing the right thing.
it doesn't mean you'll be an office drone once you graduate, cross that bridge when you get there. but finish the studies first, you'll be grateful you did.

and good luck, anon!
>>
>>18288575

Thanks for the input anon.

I'm actually considering CBT. I've been to multiple psychologists before, even psychiatrists (I was on ambien, zoloft and hydroxyzine for a few months last year) but none of it helped even a bit. CBT would be something new.

The issue with it "being temporary" is that I don't feel like it really is. I've hated school for most of my life, and I mean really hated it (although I've always excelled at it). I seem to have an issue with rigidly organized structures (hence why I fear getting stuck in a 9-5). I get the whole "you may regret it later" argument, I've heard it a thousand times, but I just can't get myself to sit there for 5 hours to study anymore. It almost gets physically painful to even try to.

But hey, I'm taking the advice. I'll push through the end of this year, but I'm still horrified by the fact that there's another one to complete after the summer break. It's going to be excruciating
>>
>>18288565
Anon, there is going to be no 9-5 for you. You went psychology and will be unemployable. Your screwed bro
>>
>>18288597
Not even going to debate this one. Thanks for the bump buddy
>>
>>18288593
I hear ya. sometimes you gotta try a bunch of stuff til something clicks. obviously give each thing a fair shot. also NLP (find someone good though) could be useful.

I found the Mindful Way Through Depression book and guided meditations very useful. YMMV.
good luck!
>>
>>18288620
Thanks again for the advice. I've tried meditating before, didn't really help either. Will try again for sure. Have a good one
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.