[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My mother keeps trying to set me up with guys she finds on dating

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: tumblr_m68n83iaiL1qewacoo1_500.jpg (183KB, 404x540px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m68n83iaiL1qewacoo1_500.jpg
183KB, 404x540px
My mother keeps trying to set me up with guys she finds on dating sites and it's starting to get on my nerves.

It's been 7 years since my last relationship ended but I'm content with being alone, I suppose. I would be open to having a SO again but don't care enough to actively put myself out there, and due to my work and other activities I don't meet a lot of new people.

I'm starting to feel pretty uncomfortable about my mom trying to marry me off. The relationship I have with her is fairly rocky, a lot happened in the past because she continuously hopped asshole boyfriends. I suspect she has this fixed idea that you need a relationship on order to be happy, no matter how shitty the other person is to you. As such, she has had a fuckton of relationships since I was a young child. None of the men were dad material, and the mental abuse of some of them towards me left its mark on my psyche even now.

How do I tell her to stop? I know she means well but it's makes me uncomfortable and I just don't share her convinction that a relationship is the only road to true happiness. I told her I'm not interested and her reaction made me feel guilty for being dismissive and made me feel abnormal for not actively pursuing a relationship.
>>
My mom also butts her head in places she doesn't need to. She doesn't harp on me to get a girlfriend too often, but about other things, anyway. I'm not particularly close with her either, so I don't exactly feel comfortable telling her to fuck off.

The thing about parents, especially through you mid to late 20s, is that they can't tell when their role has changed. I'm a licensed EMT, but my mom still insists that I could get sepsis if I don't clean a small wound immediately.

It is unlikely that she will listen to you if you ask her to stop, I just have a feeling. Sometimes, I just tell my parents I'm dating someone just so they won't bring it up, and when they do, i just mention off hand that we broke up.

Unfortunately, I don't have any better advice for you
>>
>>18285197
>my parents actually cares about me
Bo hoo. Move out, get independent and they wont have much power over your life.

And
>content with being alone
is a lie you keep telling yourself. Also dudes can get dates and sire children even when they are 35. Girls have to hurry or they become feminazis.
>>
>>18285197
I finally had enough of my mom and moved far away and my life has been wonderful. Of course she guilted me and shit but I stopped telling her anything about what was happening in my life, talked about mundane things and problem solved. Don't miss her at all. If I don't want to hear it I don't answer the phone. She too bounce from one horrible bf to another yet thought she was the expert to tell me how to proceed in my love life. I'm happy alone for now and will take my time if that changes.
>>
Given that your mom is trying to guilt trip you for not adopting her approach to relationships, pretty much the only thing you can do is immediately cut contact whenever she tries to pull this shit. Walk out of the room. Hang up the phone. Stop texting her for 24 hours. This is a means of maintaining boundaries, it's pretty much the only thing you can do when someone doesn't want to acknowledge that they can't and shouldn't have control over your personal life. You'll have to be extremely consistent with this or you'll accomplish nothing.

And you are abnormal for not pursuing a relationship, the same way calico cats are abnormal for having multicolored fur. It has no bearing on your value as a person.
>>
>>18285197
"Mother, I am hereby establishing an absolute rule. I will never, ever, ever go out with any guy you recommend or try to set me up with. You can keep trying if you want, but that is the absolute rule."
>>
>>18285197
I'm a guy in basically the same situation. My father and brother in law are constantly trying to set me up and it's incredibly annoying. The worst part is that they really don't know me very well outside of "oh he likes anime right" so they try to hook me up with random asian women regardless of their personalities and interests.

It may not work but all you can do is refuse and tell her to stop. You're an adult and you'll make your own decisions.

Anything more aggressive than that shouldn't be necessary and would probably harm your relationship.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.