[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I landed a job offer through my company to move from Wilkes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

File: 20170410_163546.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170410_163546.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
So I landed a job offer through my company to move from Wilkes Barre, PA to Portland, OR. Id be doing essentially the same job just more responsibility and Id be in charge out there. The job is coming with corporate profit sharing benefits, a 20k raise on my current salary and they are giving me 10k to move out there. It has always been a dream of mine to move out west and its happening.

Except.. My family is just about ready to disown me. No one is happy for me and my mom doesnt get why I want to move so far away and abandon her. My sister keeps trying to guilt me with my nieces and nephews who need me and will miss me so much. She says how can I even think about moving so far away without thinking of them.. Yeah, like they consulted me on it before she got pregnant. My brothers are lackluster at best and I feel like no one is excited for me.

Its really bumming me out. I didnt say yes yet but Im considering not going now. What do you think /adv/?
>>
NO don't let them drag you down

they're gonna miss you cause they love you

but if you go and come back to visit they'll get used to it

you have to live your own life man nothing lasts forever carpe diem I mean it opportunity knocks

plus skype exists
>>
>>18283539
take the deal, they are doing whats best for them not for you.
>>
>>18283549

thanks man. I tried to tell them Is be back every Christmas and at least another week during the year. My mom got pissed about me suggesting we Skype.. lol
>>
>>18283552

Seems kind of selfish to not consider them, though. We've always been a close knit family but we are all grown up now, I'm the youngest at 26
>>
>>18283558
well they are being selffish, most moms do this i don't know why.
>>
>>18283539

The the job, your family is being beyond selfish, and if I'm honest borderline sociopathic about this lol. I don't mean to offend you by saying that but God damn. Live your life man
>>
>>18283539
It's 2017, I keep in contact with my friends in Japan more than my family 5 miles away. They'll get over you being a thousand or so miles away. Portland is fun even though it is SJW central. Food is great, weed is legal, awesome hikes minutes from the city. If you're being paid more, you can afford trips back home every now and then. That said, a lot of companies use the practice of uprooting Young and single professionals and make them work far from home for a reason. They tend to work harder without a familiar support system and because they feel work is their only foundation. Be wary of that, I see it happen in all sorts of industries, it's just good business to pile work onto those who are young and have no familial obligations (excuses).
>>
>>18283571

Thanks man. It's an IT job, I've been working for the same company for 5 years now and they seem to be treatIng me well. I don't think that is the case, but I will keep it in mind. I bid on the job on my own volition and I am pretty sure I'm the candidate because they could use me out there from my previous experience.
>>
>>18283571

I think that is mostly what I'm looking for.. just validation that I should take this opportunity and that they are being insane right now.

Mostly just bummed out.. I was excited to tell them and I just did not get the supportive response I thought I'd get.
>>
>>18283539
moving away is freedom and never go back but to visit
>>
>>18283592
You didnt mention your dad, do they consider you the father figure.
>>
>>18283600

My dad passed away around the time I was born, so it's mostly been me and my brothers as the father figures to them.
>>
>>18283604
I guess thats it, being afraid of change and less males around.I bet your dad would be proud.
Go for it.
>>
+1 vote for taking the job.

Your family is being selfish. You aren't disowning them. You aren't never talking to them again. You'll Skype the kids whenever they miss you, and you'll keep texting your sisters/brothers no matter where you are.

It sounds like nobody went away for school in your family. Most modern families get over the kids moving out when their kids go off to college. They just need to have that moment now.
>>
>>18283644
Nobody did, we all went to local campus that our mom teaches at. She gets us a pretty hefty discount so we all took advantage of it.

The furthest My brother went was an hour away, rest are still st home or local.
>>
>>18283622
Thank you man, I really appreciate this. This is something I wish my mother could tell me.
>>
Other anons have already said pretty much everything I would have said, so all i have left to say is:

Good luck, OP. It'll be strange at first, but this sounds like a great opportunity for you.
>>
>>18283539
Older anon here. Lived in portland. Move the fuck out there asap. You won't regret it. Solid economy. Great metro and rail system. Easy hop n a skip to Vancouver WA. You'll love it
>>
I agree with the board, do what's best for yourself.

All I can offer is to make sure you really are getting a raise, I don't know enough about cost of living between where you are now and where you're moving to. At face value though the numbers seem right. Also the "I'd be in charge" aspect is a clear promotion on the ol' resume.

Good luck OP!
>>
>>18283539
>.I bet your dad would be proud.
I want to second this.
My Dad moved half way across the country to start his own business.
Out of college I lived in Florida, Connecticut, Idaho, and Washington always following a job. Worked my way up, became a major manager and eventually came back close to home.
My two oldest sons have moved across the country, my oldest daughter lives in fricken Alaska. Family is important, but professional success is important too.
America was, and is, built by people who have the balls to move in order to improve their lives.
Your dad would be proud.
Follow your dream.
>>
>>18283760
>>18283749
>>18283743
>>18283715

Thank you. Thank you all so much. I really needed this.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.