[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Depression about becoming an adult - More specifically, losing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: Mindless_slave1.jpg (20KB, 336x210px) Image search: [Google]
Mindless_slave1.jpg
20KB, 336x210px
Becoming an adult sucks. I realize this. I have always known in my early teen years that even in my angriest and most pitiful moments, "I CAN'T WAIT TO BE AN ADULT" is a very stupid thing to say, because really humans are only truly free of all the shit in the world when they're young. Unfortunately, even though I realized this early on, I took this fact for granted and failed to prepare for adulthood, opting instead to ignore it, and now here I am feeling overwhelmed by the burden of responsibility and work that is coming my way in the coming months.

I worked my ass off to get my GED, and I have realized now that I enjoy computer work. I have been programming for about 4 years now(I am 19), and I am pretty ahead of most CS students in terms of experience in that regard. I know how to use control systems like Git, and I know a wide variety of fields ranging from low level stuff like Assembly and Reverse Engineering, to C++ and C# and Python. Additionally, I also know Web Development as well, and I can now craft decent looking websites that work very easily.

So, I'm probably going to college soon for Web Development.

Ok, that's good. I know what work I would like to do that won't make me want to kill myself. That's what I've always wanted.

But I'm still not happy.

I'm going to college in August for Comp Sci, and I've been studying my ass off for Math, and it turns out I really enjoy Math. I also really enjoy Philosophy, reading, Music, etc... All of which require free time and time to myself to enjoy properly. Right now I have an abundance of time to myself, but that time is slipping away, and it is filling me with dread that soon, I'll be locked in the 9-5 work week for the rest of my life, having no free time or energy to pursue the hobbies I love to do and fill me with joy aside programming.

This is fucking terrible, and it actually is making me fucking suicidal to think about it. Surely there has be more to life than being an automaton. There has to be.
>>
>>18273733
If Web Development won't offer me the free time I seek, then I need to find a fucking job that lets me have a good amount of time to myself, and I honestly don't care what that job is. I don't care if it requires me to be in scalding hot ovens all day. I just need fucking time to myself. I can't fucking stand the thought of being a slave for the rest of my life and having my own personal interests be second to Mr. Shekelberg buying his new yacht.

PLEASE, /adv/, TELL ME there is a fucking line of work or a job that can let me just live alone but still have free time.

I don't even care about the pay! As long as I can just LIVE, even in section 8 housing, I don't fucking care! As long as I can just afford fucking Ramen and an air mattress, I'm perfectly fine with living in squalor if it means I can have time to read my books and listen to music and fucking have peace and quiet to myself.

Please fucking help me.
>>
>he bought into the wagecuck meme

you have time to yourself before work, you have time to yourself after work, you have time to yourself on your days off. working seven/eight hours five days a week takes a little bit of getting used to energy-wise, but YOU WILL HAVE FREE TIME.

you will not be an automaton, you'll be a goddamn man putting his skill and pride into work he enjoys. get the fucking chip off your shoulder and stop freaking out, your adolescence has to end sometime.
>>
>>18273733
I'm a Computer Science student, currently on my 5th semester and landed my first internship inside the campus on an big company.

I work 6 hours a day, get a good pay, can get up and do whatever the fuck I want (as long as I do what is assigned to me), my colleagues and my boss are very friendly and funny, they've showed me the ropes and taught me a lot (and still do). I drink a lot of coffee and eat a lot of chocolate for free while at work.

I used to stay at home watching Youtube videos and playing videogames all day (never been really a social autist though), and it's true - I do miss having more time to do useless shit, but I feel like I'm progressing you know? It's worth it.

Don't sweat it man, stop being a pussy.
>>
>>18273763
Better yet is to get a job that pays well enough to only do 30 hours a week.

3 day weekends every week, I ain't complaining.

After all, 5 day 40 hour weeks are themselves a meme that the witless never question.
>>
For myself childhood was far less free than adult hood, I had a bedtime, no car, no money, a HUGE list of things I wasnt allowed to do, I wasnt allowed to express myself the way I wanted, I had to behave according to my parents wishes, every single thing I wanted to do had to be run through my folks. On top of that I had to attend school getting up at 7:30am and back home at 4pm, following all the school rules in fear of punishment then coming back home in the evening to study and do projects, plus a shitty part time job at mcdonalds on top of every single person telling me what to do.

I was naive and got married young to a girl with a whole host of issues, anger problems and possessivness like nothing I have ever experienced and it wasnt until I moved out of my parents home and lived with her did I understand the importance of independace and freedom.

As a divorced adult with a 9-5 job semi enjoy I can do whatever I want whenever I want, I am fortunate enough to have a job where I get on with everyone including my bosses so I can express myself however I want and it usually ends up with everyone laughing at my jokes.

Having a stable stream of income and taking care of myself wheather that be by paying rent, washing my clothes, cooking a healthy meal, doing what ever I want in the moment without having to justify or explain myself or reasons why to anyone is the most liberating feeling ever. Freedom for me started when I became and adult.
>>
>>18274370
Does this imply that having a restricted childhood and only freedom in being adult make for better functioning people?

My childhood was restricted but my teenage years were not and now as an adult under those restrictions again, it feels as though my life is going backwards.
>>
>>18274409

Swapping out not getting paid at school followed by studying after school with getting paid for doing a 9-5 job with no outside study or projects and if there is you will be getting paid.

Where are you losing ? We all were imprisoned in school not getting paid now as an adult you are getting paid and sacraficing the same amount of time. Plus you said you enjoy the feild your in and your good at it so count your self lucky your not laying bricks, cleaning toilets or swallowing jizz.

Money cant buy you happyness but it can give you freedom to live a life you want and if you make money from a feild you enjoy then your owning at life.
>>
>>18274253
How do you get a job like this?
>>
>>18273733
>adult
>I am 19

I'm not even going to read the rest of your post.
>>
>>18274865
die
>>
>>18275774
Harsh truth but your brain has yet to fully develop chill out
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.