[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

can the police in the uk search your phone to investigate a crime

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: C7ufeVhVAAA5l0P.jpg large.jpg (103KB, 599x707px) Image search: [Google]
C7ufeVhVAAA5l0P.jpg large.jpg
103KB, 599x707px
can the police in the uk search your phone to investigate a crime and bring up an unrelated thing? for example texts for weed when there is no weed investigation.
>>
Police in bongland can do anything they want
>>
>>18272988

Depends what they're investigating.

If someone's been brutally murdered at your workplace, the killer is at large, and they just want to question you and see if you have any texts from the killer, they won't care.

However, if you brutally murdered someone at your workplace, and they're now trying to send you to jail for the rest of your life, you can be damn sure they're going to slap every minor charge they can against you.
>>
>>18272988
Encrypt your device and refuse to provide the password. Don't use biometric locks because you can be legally compelled to unlock them.
>>
>>18273165

nonsense, police can make a formal submission to the court who then compel you to provide the password. if you don't, you can sentenced up to four years (can't remember exactly, or the law- generally used in terrorism cases but can be used for any indictable offence)
>>
>>18272988
Got stopped by coppers while walking home at 2am once because they were looking for a burglar and I fitted the description.

I was high as fuck, reeking of weed and couldn't string together a sentence but once they realised I wasn't the burglar they apologised for wasting my time and left.

In other words, you'll be fine.
>>
>>18273450
>"I forgot."
Prove me wrong.
>>
>>18273614
Here. Welcome to guilty until proven otherwise.

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20140116/09195525902/uk-man-jailed-not-giving-police-thumbstick-password.shtml
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.