[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm finna hit rock bottom lads. I'm 23 and recently

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: 1471101234961.png (12KB, 246x200px) Image search: [Google]
1471101234961.png
12KB, 246x200px
I'm finna hit rock bottom lads. I'm 23 and recently got a bachelor's degree in biology, for the past 2 months I've been trying to find a job in my field without success. My goal is to work as a conservation biologist but the few listings I've found required minimum 3 to 5 years experience. I've only worked 1 summer in a job that had to do with the environment but it was barely related to biology. Anyways, I've gone to 2 interviews so far and got rejected once and I feel like I'm about to get rejected again. I'm basically fucked because most summer jobs in biology demand you to be a student or they ask for a lot of experience. I'm not even qualified for lab jobs since I'm specialized in ecology, biodiversity and evolution and have no work experience in labs. I'm now looking for alternatives, even some minimum wage shit. Should I post a status on facebook to look for help? I haven't really made a lot of friends at uni though. What should I do fàm? I really don't want to go work at some shitty grocery, I've already had my fair share of shitty ass jobs.
>>
If I spend another summer unemployed at home, I'm going to sink back into the downward spiral. I feel like a teenager trying to get a first job but keeps getting denied because he has no experience. How am I supposed to get experience if you need experience to get experience lmao, nice system.
>>
>>18266954
Two points:

The average job hunt takes 6 months, so you are very premature in your panic.

And job ads are wishlists, descriptions of the ideal candidate. If that perfect person doesn't apply, they'll take the best of those who do.

In particular, any request for 2 or 3 years experience will consider a beginner if you impress them. I know a few people fresh out of school who talked/interviewed/impressed their way into jobs that had asked for experience.
>>
>>18266995
ok, but how can I impress them if my grades were average to above average. Most of them require excellent knowledge of the fauna and flora but I've never worked in the field so I can't identify species as well as someone who did. I'll keep that in mind though, my friend suggested to try applying to places even if I don't have the required experience.
>>
File: 1493069837947.png (180KB, 277x268px) Image search: [Google]
1493069837947.png
180KB, 277x268px
Its funny how young people have these fantasies about life. Anon move to where the jobs are. Apply to everything. Take whats available. Look for something better in your spare time.
>>
>>18266959
Go work in a kitchen while you look for something better. Pay is shitty, but living at home allows you pay off your loans quickly. Most places will train someone with a good work ethic.
>>
>>18266954
>I've gone to 2 interviews so far
>one interview per month of search

Anon, you need to try harder. Constantly apply to anything remotely related to your field and look everywhere. I'm talking five applications sent out a day. You need experience and can't get it if you don't put yourself in those shitty entry level positions. You should also be working a part time job, because you need references and money. A lot of science jobs are unpaid or seasonal at your level. If you have to, save up and move to where the jobs are.
>>
>>18266954
lol
>23
>rock bottom
you know nothing anon

Living at home sucks (I had to move back twice since graduating) but you can save money and network. Work part time if you can't handle too many hours at your shit job. You need to be applying to jobs every day, or at least several times each week. This is the economy now and it takes time to find a job.

Consider looking for an Americorps program related to your degree. I did that; it was fun, got experience, made lots of job connections, and they give you over $5000 towards your student loans or further education. Lots of girls in the program too, they don't call it AmeriScore for nothing.
>>
>>18266959
your entire university was experience, 4+ years of it.

stop being a cuck.
>>
>>18266998
So you're telling me in 4 years of college the only experience you have is a summer job that wasn't even related to biology? This is the problem, you didn't do anything in college, hell you even said that you have bad grades. I've worked 3000+ hours in my field between work and volunteering, graduating in a couple weeks. The problem was you didn't do anything while at school, expect school, why do so many people expect that a degree is a free job, you have to be doing things before you graduate.
>>
>>18267084
>>18267072
A bachelor's in Canada is 3 years but it's not like I didn't try. I tried to get internships at my uni but they only select the ones with the best grades. It's too late now, there are a lot of things I would've done differently if I could go back to being a student.
>>
>>18267013
I think that's what I'll have to do but I really wanted to experience the city life. I can't really move out before finding a job though.
>>
What are some decent minimum wage jobs where there's no stress and the people are friendly?
>>
starting to feel the depression crawling back to me, I don't even do anything of my days anymore except mindlessly looking at job postings.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.