[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm considering trying to become vegetarian. Not really

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3

I'm considering trying to become vegetarian. Not really for ethics but just for health reasons. Many people told em that since they stopped eating meat they feel much better. Can you tell me your personal experience?
>>
>>18261155
Generally speaking, when people go Vegetarian or Vegan they report feeling a lot better within the first few months, but I suspect that has more to do with the fact that they're just eating a much cleaner, better thought out diet than because they've just quit eating meat.

I got big into health as a teenager, went vegan for a bit, felt pretty great. Fell out over time, got back into health in the last couple months, but this time I didn't go vegan, I just started eating less carbs, eating higher quality meat and veggies, and I felt just as good with that as I did with going vegan previously. Ultimately I don't think avoiding meat is so much what benefits you as avoiding junk food and low quality meats (Spam, hotdogs, etc).
>>
Meat and animal products are seriously disgusting, I dont know how people even eat it.
Alone the thought of how it is made...
And for what? For some seconds of taste pleasure, which is not even that enjoyable? Really makes one think.
Stupid hedonistic society, if you want to eat meat, go and hunt like a real predator.
>>
>>18261210
>Alone the thought of how it is made...
Speaking as someone who's worked on multiple farms, I can tell you that a shitload of animals die harvesting plants. Every harvest you've got small mammals, deer fawns, cats, shit like that dying by the BILLIONS in industrial farming. Really the only place you don't see that is in small scale farming where everything is picked by hand. If you can eat that food, good for you man, you're lucky and I'm happy for you. Thing is, not everyone can do that. I don't mean won't, I don't mean chooses not to, I mean CAN NOT. As in society literally could not function the way it does if we knocked food production back down to such a poor level of efficiency. Society needs factory farming, and factory farming, even when just producing plants, kills billions of animals.
>>
>>18261239
>I can tell you that a shitload of animals die harvesting plants. Every harvest you've got small mammals, deer fawns, cats, shit like that dying by the BILLIONS in industrial farming.
Milking animals and killing them for meat are totally different things for me. Factory farming is one things, raising animals with the intention to make meat is another. Plus, what you said only counts for animals like cows, chicken is unaffected.
If meat production could be avoided, it would be enough. Stupid population cant even manage to give up meat, what are you talking about?
Nobody forces anyone to eat meat.
>>
>>18261254
True, nobody forces anyone to eat meat, but if you compare the number of animals dying from a 100 acre cattle pasture compared to a 100 acre wheat field, I 100% guarentee you the wheat field kills more animals.
>>
I gave up eating meat when I read a book and how it hurts them the same way it would hurt us.
http://neveragain.org.il/articles/animals-my-brethren-edgar-kupfer-koberwitz/
>>
>>18261257
>I 100% guarentee you the wheat field kills more animals.
I dont know if this is true, but I will take your claim.
Even if it is like that, number of animals killed by wheat field alone is smaller than number of animals killed by wheat field AND cattle pasture.
Besides, what are the reasons for their massive death? I can see people exploiting animals for a long time, around 75% of their estimated life.
>>
>>18261167
>but I suspect that has more to do with the fact that they're just eating a much cleaner, better thought out diet than because they've just quit eating meat.
This plus placebo effect. Ethics are the only good reason to become vegetarian beyond fucking that qt chick.

>>18261254
Meat is part of a healthy diet, specially for kids/teens, and farming doesn't necessary have to be horrible for animals (just that reflects on the price)
Also complaining about hedonism while wasting your time on a image board using a device made by slaves with materials mined by slaves is pretty hypocritical. Bet tons of your vegan food was made under dehumanizing conditions too.

In the future there will be lab grown meat either way, so everyone wins.
>>
>>18261267
>Meat is part of a healthy diet
Easily substituted.
>hedonism while wasting your time on a image board using a device made by slaves with materials mined by slaves is pretty hypocritical
You cannot run from the world.
>In the future there will be lab grown meat either way, so everyone wins.
Agree.
>>
>>18261266
>Even if it is like that, number of animals killed by wheat field alone is smaller than number of animals killed by wheat field AND cattle pasture.

Are you seriously implying the world wouldn't need far more wheat fields if it ceased to have cattle pastures?

BTW- NOT A GOOD IDEA. All of the native grazers in most regions in the world have come extinct. There aren't anymore aurochs around. Death of the cattle pasture = death of the meadowlands ecology.

Unless you have your own vegan solution to the lack of large non-domesticated grazers in the world? I doubt it. You people have your head in the clouds too high to think about local ecologies and how they'd be impacted if you banned le cows and all of the ranchers became big industry owners so they can process all of that corn you want to see in the world.

In the end, the only way you can get the world you want is via totalitarianism. Which is why vegans inevitably resort to terrorism trying to enforce those lines.
>>
>>18261155
First 3 weeks are hell. first 3 months are torture. Doesnt become passable until 6 months down the line when your body starts adjusting. After a year your body forgets what meat taste like. After 3 years your body no longer produces the enzymes for me as much so it taste like eating rubber.
Most people do not make it past the first 3 months. If they even make it past teh first 3 weeks. Ive been a vegetarian for 17 years now.
We you need first and foremost is the desire for self discipline. Without it I do not expect you to succeed. The thing that kept me going when I started was that I didnt want to cave in and feel weak. You need a strong resolve to actually break a habit.
>>18261267
Cancer, one of the biggest killers we have no cure for, is reduced heavily by being vegan. The human urine while eating meat is somewhat toxic to the environment. That being said if you feel that you are not in a place where you can sustain a healthy diet and will take your chances with illnesses then Im not going to tell you that eating meat is wrong. Stopping is incredibly hard in the world we live in.
>>
>>18261289
>local ecologies
Existed long before and will exist after, change is inevitable.
>>
>>18261295
>Stopping is incredibly hard
1. Dont buy meat.
2. Buy certain supplements and protein powder instead.
Wew, so fucking hard.
>>
>>18261299
>Buttfucking the environment is ONLY OKAY IF IT'S FOR MY MORAL CRUSADE

You are the lowest scum on Earth, below even the anaerobes in my stool.

Enjoy your LARP session.
>>
>>18261304
But meat is delicious, nutritious, and animals are going to die either way.
>>
>>18261304
Please. We do not live in a world where people predominantly eat food they cook. Nor do people predominantly eat alone and cook solely for themselves. When the smell of meat is always around you fighting the temptation to eat it is not a simple feat.
>>
File: cattleproduct[1].jpg (202KB, 600x496px) Image search: [Google]
cattleproduct[1].jpg
202KB, 600x496px
>>18261304
Enjoy being chained to the supply train demon like the rest of us.

>b-b-b-but MUH HARM REDUCSHUN
>>
File: fuckbrazil.jpg (429KB, 1322x688px) Image search: [Google]
fuckbrazil.jpg
429KB, 1322x688px
>>18261304
> Buy certain supplements and protein powder
Um, you know that protein powder is mostly whey, or milk protein?

For a cow to produce milk, she has to be lactating, ie., recently given birth.

What do you think happens to all those calves?
A clue: McDonald's.

> Hurr durr I'm special I don't eat meat
> I eat powdered milk instead.
>>
>>18261280
>Easily substituted.
Later in life, for children not so much.

>You cannot run from the world.
Well ... actually you can. Just you obviously don't want to give up all the comforts you have. Same with meat eaters. Glasshouses, stones and all that. It's simply a bad tactic to focus on calling names instead of empathizing the suffering of animals on 90% of all farms.

Vegetarianism is a great cause but at best it can move people to look for and faster accept alternative ways to get meat. It's beyond unlikely that the majority will stop eating it.

>>18261289
>Are you seriously implying the world wouldn't need far more wheat fields if it ceased to have cattle pastures?
Given how much land is used to grow food for animals, he/she may be right.

>>18261295
>Cancer, one of the biggest killers we have no cure for, is reduced heavily by being vegan.
Eh, honestly it sounds like one of this correlation =/= causation things. A vegan obviously pays more attention to their diet and probably lifestyle overall, while the average meat eater gobbles up the shit in fastfood restaurants. Besides it's more expensive, so they probably earn more on the average. Haven't seen the studies though, so all speculation on my part.

>The human urine while eating meat is somewhat toxic to the environment.
Stomach acids are even worse, things that come out of human body are not supposed to be good.
>>
>>18261314
>meat is delicious
Very subjective. I hate looking at meat in grocery story, for me this is disgusting.
> nutritious
Easily substituted, everything.
>animals are going to die either way
There is a difference of just dying or being born to be slaughtered.
> We do not live in a world where people predominantly eat food they cook.
Nor do people predominantly eat alone and cook solely for themselves.
What do you mean? Of course we eat and cook for ourselves. Who else does this?
>smell of meat is always around you fighting the temptation to eat it is not a simple feat.
It is disgusting, temptation, really? All the temptation comes from herbs you could utilize without meat.
What I dont understand, is how some people dont feel disgusted by raw flesh or eggs.
>>
>>18261328
>Given how much land is used to grow food for animals, he/she may be right.

In Murica where you care about your moral crusades. In the rest of the world, the land used for grazing is too shitty to support most other crops. Which is why grazers are there in the first place.

>hurr I know moar den da entire species
>b-b-but local ecologies? looool wuts that
>>
>>18261328
>honestly it sounds like one of this correlation =/= causation things
>things that come out of human body are not supposed to be good
You are very misinformed. A vegan diet changes the ph level of the body to one where cancer cannot survive as well and your waste is not as toxic to the environment. Waste isnt good for a human. Its not supposed to hurt nature as it does. If you have ever gone hiking the rule of thumb is avoid urinating unless you have to and do it way off trail away from water because you will poison the water supply.
>>
>>18261347
This is broscience of the highest order, lmafo

paste the blogspot you stole that from, I want to laugh at the moron who wrote it
>>
>>18261342
>What I dont understand, is how some people dont feel disgusted by raw flesh or eggs.
Almost like different people have different preferences!

>>18261345
Nigga, chill out. I am not the person, not a vegetarian, nor a Murican.
Also a HUGE part of grains do come from US of A, so it'd make a difference.

The point about local ecologies doesn't make too much sense either given how the current shit is artificial.
>>
>>18261342
>Very subjective.
True.

>Easily substituted, everything.
True, but why bother when the real thing is there?

>There is a difference of just dying or being born to be slaughtered.
Nitpicking. I agree that the way factory farms raise animals is horrifying, but having raised cows and hunted deer and elk, I can tell you that there's not a lot of difference in quality of life between ethically raised (by which I mean good living conditions, free pasture space, access to clean water, etc) cattle vs elk. Hell, the pasture raised cows are probably happier, because they don't have to worry about predators nearly as much.

>everything else
You didn't tag that poster, dude.
>>
>>18261351
If you want to deny scientific studies feel free to. Im not here to argue with you. You clearly know no one who has cancer and I hope you never have to know that pain. Good luck dude.
>>
>>18261356
>artificial

The classic buzzword of the eco-pleb who doesn't understand environmental science at all. Humans are nothing more than the dominant species, shaping the local ecology as we see fit. Just as Dimetrodon did when it roamed the Earth.

You pretend the Earth can't evolve shit harmful for it on a chronic basis. Guess what? It does. Five mass extinctions can't be wrong, faggot. You know nothing about what is and isn't artificial.

There are no large native grazers around anymore. The Cow has replaced all of them. If you remove cow, you remove meadowland unless you pay people to mow lawns. It's as simple as that.

>inb4 I don't care about nature

Then stop LARPing, moron.
>>
>>18261362
>Implying my uncle didn't die from SCLC

Nice job not posting any of those """scientific studies""" btw, you sure have convinced me and everyone else ITT of the validity of your ways!

moron proselytizer. JOIN MEH OR DIEEEEE

How are you any different to the Christfags, again?
>>
>>18261371
Sorry for your loss dude. Its unfortunate to here. I only hope when you are in a better place you will be more accepting to the studies. It may help you or a loved one in the future. Best of luck.
>>
>>18261366
>You pretend the Earth can't evolve shit harmful for it on a chronic basis.
But anon, I don't. Calm down. The meaning is pretty clear in context, just like with something like "it has chemicals" even though obviously everything has.
>>
>>18261362
Well, do post them.
>>
>>18261387
Im not really going to research a bunch to prove a point to someone who is not in a place to listen. I dont have the studies saved to my computer and Im not going to read them all again for you. I only hope that no one you love will be taken by cancer.
This study is a good place to start.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3048091/
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.