[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone do EMT-B training (in the US) or work as one? What's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

Anyone do EMT-B training (in the US) or work as one?

What's it like?

How intense are the classes?

What does entry-level EMT work look like?

What are the advancement options after becoming a paramedic?
>>
I have my license, but haven't actually worked in the field.

The classes aren't too bad, the tests are pretty tough.

Entry level EMT looks a lot like pretty much every level; your job will be the extremely critical. You will often be the 1st responder and best chance this person survives the next 10 minutes.

The only difference between you and a Para is they can give drugs, about a year and a half more school, and job security. If you like the job, take paramedic courses, they're in huge demand. My instructor, a paramedic, was hired on as Fire Chief during my class. So, paras are big fish in the public service pond.

Solid career choice, especially if you're not great with traditional schooling like me.
>>
>>18260422
Thanks for the response. Congratulations if you just passed your course.

>the tests are pretty tough
I've heard that. If you know, what was the pass rate of people in your class?

Also, do you feel like your classes prepared you mentally to deal with seeing and dealing with badly injured people? A medical-related career has always appealed to me, but I'm kind of squeamish and a bit concerned about that.
>>
>>18260422
Here in NZ it takes pretty much 4 years to become a paramedic (3 years study, 1 year internship). Not sure about EMT though, it's not a well advertised job and I think you can only do the training through an organisation rather than a polytech (where you do paramedic training). Some people just go straight from civilian to paramedic skipping EMT altogether
>>
I'm an EMT in ny, I didn't think the class was particularly hard, it's about the level of a 300 college class. You have to study and pay attention, but not a serious challenge if you do.

I've been working as a 911 EMT for about 2 years now and it has its ups and downs. I've worked about 10 different jobs and this is easily the best. Every day is different, the work day goes by quite fast, you're on the road away from office politics, you get to maybe sometimes sort of help people, and there is a fair amount of prestige to the job.

On the other hand the pay is shit, it's really untenable. If you aren't living at home rent free or working 2 jobs you will be living paycheck to paycheck. Also you have to see people on their worst days and deal with lowlifes all the time. Get accustomed to dealing with drunks, the homeless, junkies, drunk homeless junkies, etc.

Ama.
>>
>>18260449
NZ anon here again. Unfortunately the course I do does not prepare students properly for what they will see out on the road. I went to a teen suicide by hanging and received no support from my tutors until months later when I finally broke down. It's such a new profession they just don't know how to handle it yet
>>
>>18260588
I was at one of those last year, not very fun. Was a large Spanish family and I had the sneaking suspicion from talking to his sister that he may have been gay and killed himself due to that, very sad.

We had to be called back later because a fight broke out between relatives.
>>
>>18260588
Australian anon here. How was your degree like? Is there a lot of emphasis on understanding pathophysiology and pharmacology? Were there any filler subjects about the health system? I'm thinking of enrolling in a paramedic degree next year. I decided it's what I want after doing some volunteer work with St. John and going for a night shift ride along with an ambulance service.
>>
>>18260624
>>18260624
I'm only in 2nd year at the moment but so far we've done quite a lot of anatomy and physiology (not so much pathophys yet) as well as a bit of pharmo. The course was changed for first years this year with a lot more general health system stuff at the start. It's great that your interested in doing the degree. The volunteer work will definitely be an advantage for when you go on placement. You'll cope better and not be so overwhelmed (like I was).
>>
>>18260637
I know some friends who did nursing and they felt overwhelmed (even though they like what they do) when they did their first nursing jobs out of uni because it very intense work not to mention the whole shift work thing. After that they survived just fine. Do you have any good strategies for having a work life balance? Are the people you work with supportive when it comes to debriefing about bad calls? I'm open to any advice you have.
>>
>>18260655
My classmates were amazing after I had some rough placements (4 cardiac arrests in a week). They were really supportive and checked in on me a lot of the time. And they listened to my stories, that was the big thing, they always had time for me. My advice for you if you ever go to a tough job is just to talk it over with people you trust. Don't keep your thoughts bottled up because they will tear you apart.
>>
>>18260686
Thanks for the advice. Methods of preventing the nature of the job affecting me too much is something I would like to have a grasp of before I start my course.
>>
>>18260581
>sometimes sort of help people
What do you mean by this? Sounds kind of jaded.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.