[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How can a "talented" "antisocial" move forward

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1

File: 1492779721542.jpg (45KB, 960x733px) Image search: [Google]
1492779721542.jpg
45KB, 960x733px
How can a "talented" "antisocial" move forward in life?

I am 19yo, I am or used to be a musician, I write everything in my songs, and I mix and master them myself, I was told by many that I am pretty good with it, from writing and playing it to making it sound good. I really practiced my ass off on my instuments.

The problem is, I really hate social networks, I am terrible at them, I can't figure out if there's a deeper reason, there probably is, and I cannot find anyone to play with, because I want to play what I like which is more complex and requires some practice.

It pisses me off so hard when other musicians in bands that don't work as hard acknowledge each other's work and talk about their futures and just completely ignore the fact that I've ever done any music at all, like I am not even a musician.

I am going to join the armed forces, and don't get me wrong, I look forward to it because it's a new start, but being told I am talented and that talented people are appearently looked for, then being absolutely ignored really breaks my fucking heart. Maybe I'm wasted talent, maybe this is how it's meant to be. But fucking hell it hurts when someone asks me how is music going for me. The question here is the first line I wrote.

inb4 thanks for the blog asshole
>>
>>18258166
>talented
You're not.
>antisocial
You're not.
>I was told by many that I am pretty good with it
They were being nice.
>>
>>18258200

>They were being nice.

They had no reason to be nice though those were people that did not know me personally both irl and on the internet
>>
>>18258213
>They had no reason to be nice though those were people that did not know me personally both irl and on the internet
Despite your cynical views, people in general try to be decent even to strangers.
>>
>>18258222

There is no reason for someone completely unknown to you to comment on your track or send you a private message saying they like your stuff unless they legitimately do

Hell I was even asked if I send my mixes to master them somewhere, how I got this guitar tone or whatever

Come on, if people were just being nice they would ignore all this shit and just say "yeah it sounds good whaevs"

Maybe I am in denial
>>
>>18258166
post a track asshole
>>
>>18258405

I've deleted everything I had, but just this afternoon I have written and recorded a demo, here you go, just keep in mind it's a demo

https://clyp.it/xpmehj4x
>>
>>18258463
You need to either make poppier and more accessible shit or go to school for production. This sounds like a score more than a song that belongs on an album. Reminds me of 28 Days Later during the climax.

Go to school for scoring and become an LA composer. If you can't sing then you aren't going to be successful as a solo musician unless you do edm bullshit anyway.

And you need to listen to more rhythmic music. Your lea sounds extremely robotic where it should flow more. Get into Jazz Fusion. Check out Dexter Wansel - Life On Mars and Brand New Heavies self titled albums.

Alternatively, learn to sing and git good or find a singer and compose an ep with him. If you're doing metal shit you are really going to need a band and can't fly solo.
>>
>>18258485

>make poppier and more accessible shit
>go to school for production

Armed forces it is then, thanks for trying to help anyway
>>
>>18258520
If you want to hear some instrumentally impressive pop music then get into Jamiroquai. Canned Heat, the long version, sets the bar so fucking high it's insane. That bass player fucking shreds the entire track while the singer does the same.

Metal is for angsty suburban white kids desperate for a masculine identity anyway.

And if you're real good you can blend pop woth hardcore. That new Dance Gavin Dance album is fucking insane. The r&b hooks mixed with shredding is just effortless.
>>
>>18258166
Is the army a for sure thing ? Like say you find a friend or band too play with you still doing the army thing
>>
>>18258530

But am I not supposed to play and write stuff that I like? Hell yeah it's impressive, but it just doesn't speak to me.

It has been wrong on my part to think that maybe I would get any further that I have recording the stuff I do. It just makes me so frustrated and angry to see how much more effort I have put into it than I should have. I really doubt I will play pop. Like, I said, I already have a plan.
>>
>>18258520
you're absolutely right, what you got might give you some good soundcloud notoriety. unfortunately from the sound of your OP that's not what you want. you seem to have a good sense of what works and tweaking your formula into what sells will get you cash, but that level requires you to spend energy in social endeavors. it does fit you better to be told how to make cash and just make dope beats on the side for yourself. unless you just ghostwrite or straight up sell your music, rights and all, to people who are willing to make it go the extra distance.

tl;dr
kys or join military, music is a hobby for you.
>>
>>18258559
Join the army. But please listen to some music with rhythm because it is what you lack the most musically based on what you showed me. You vamped well, the chords were fine. But you really had a simple rhythm and even with what you had it had poor flow. Listen to Mediterranean Sundance by Al Di Meola if you want to hear how guitar leads should sound with rhythmic proficency.
>>
>>18258542

If I find someone or a band to play with I would give it a good chance and work while doing music.

It just seems very impossible, so I focus on the one thing that I think won't dissapoint me. I have to prepare myself for the access tests so I need to make to work on that too.
>>
>>18258576

I agree with you, but at the same time this is very different from the other tracks, I focus A LOT on rythm on faster tracks especially on guitar, I have written close to 4 albums + other random songs, this is probably the slowest one I have made, I wanted it to sound dramatic so I didn't focus on the drum rythms too much
>>
>>18258632
Do you listen to any jazz or funk or r&b or rap?
>>
>>18258644

Nope, I like some jazzy guitar parts sometimes, but I don't listen to any of that, mostly because I never gave it an honest try I think
>>
>>18258663
Most people into metal and punk have a severe lack of rhythm for this reason. Do you at least listen to blues and classic country?
>>
>>18258166
>The problem is, I really hate social networks, I am terrible at them, I can't figure out if there's a deeper reason, there probably is, and I cannot find anyone to play with, because I want to play what I like which is more complex and requires some practice.
>It pisses me off so hard when other musicians in bands that don't work as hard acknowledge each other's work and talk about their futures and just completely ignore the fact that I've ever done any music at all, like I am not even a musician.

The problem is, you think you're perfect, and don't understand why success isn't coming to you. You want an audience to come to you, musicians to play with you in your style, according to your standards, and acknowledge your achievements.

How much work have you done at learning about other people's styles and standards and tastes?
Something created in a vacuum isn't art, it's narcissism disguised as creativity.

A really big part of art is figuring out how it fits into the world and what purpose it serves for people other than the creator. You've neglected this. Work on it. You have talent, but you're turning it inward instead of outward.
>>
>>18258566
>tldr you are a hobbyist
Savage
>>
>>18258663
You have a very pompous attitude toward what you make and I can already tell I made a good decision in not opening your music link. Im not even offering ways you can change, Just pointing out you are part of the group of creatives that build up our negative stereotypes. Hi.
>>
>>18258672

No, not at all, I have always listened to metal and a little hard rock

Hell I've never even listened to any of metal classics I've always just listened whatever I liked
>>
>>18258691
You really need to listen to other genres. How you haven't gotten bored I do not know. I outgrew metal when I was 16.
>>
>>18258679

>The problem is, you think you're perfect, and don't understand why success isn't coming to you.

Fuck no, I understand why success isn't coming to me and why it won't come.

I'm just mad as fuck that I put way too much effort in the technical aspect of it and it has burnt me out.

>>18258689

What? Why?
>>
>>18258718

I know I should listen to other genres, I just lose interest very fast when I try, I am starting to get a bit uninspired by metal, so I will try to listen to new genres
>>
>>18258763
Listen to
country
>Lonesome Onry and Mean
>A Six Pack to Go

Blues
>Hoodoo Man Blues
>Texas Flood

r&b
>What's Going On
>Rock Dust Light Star

>post hardcore
Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Silence
Wildlife

EDM
>Feed Me

Rap
>Illmatic
>All Eyez On Me
>Southerplalisticadillacmuzik

Funk/Disco
>Spirits Having Flown
>Funkentelechy vs The Placebo Syndrome

And check out
Mothership by Dance Gavin Dance
Modern Primitive By Steve Vai
Plan B by A Lot Like Birds
>>
>>18258815

I'll look those up, thanks
>>
where you live?

in MA here, traveling 19yo musician. play guitar & bass. trynna find some bandmates to start a cult.

fuck the army. do something better with yourself, man.

hit me up and we'll jam and shit.
>>
>>18258903

I'm in western europe, I did think of moving to the US, but I'll be starting a new job here in very little time and the army is pretty much the only job that fits me, so I'm staying here for now, sorry
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.