[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Am I selfish /adv/? I'm an immigrant from Argentina, me

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 110
Thread images: 12

File: ARGENTINA.jpg (117KB, 700x463px) Image search: [Google]
ARGENTINA.jpg
117KB, 700x463px
Am I selfish /adv/?

I'm an immigrant from Argentina, me and my family moved here when I was 15 and I am now 26.

My father moved my mother and brother and myself here from Mar Del Plata, Argentina because if a belief that this country is the only way people can become someone in this life.

I'd agree with him, but ever since I came here at 15, I have never felt like i belonged, I feel like an outsider here. We first lived in Livermore, California for 3 years then my dad moved us to Portland, Oregon where I live now.

I'm about to graduate from PSU very soon and I plan on moving back to Argentina permanently.

I told this to my parents and they became irate. telling me that I was selfish and I was trowing away everything they worked to give me by going back.

honestly, this is the worst part of this, my parents and younger brother. They all act like they are Americans, like this country has accepted them and does not hate them for who they are. Well they do. And it is the same for me.

I have no friends because my English isn't very good when I speak it, and when I lived in livermore I was constantly called a spic by the other kids on the bus because I was still learning English.

I have grown to hate my father and mother for bringing me here and trying to destroy my identity and replace it with a "better" one,My father is the biggest piece of shit I've known, He gave up 2 pharmacies he owned to come here and mother was a local municipal chief of office of our county in Argentina, and she gave up helping her country to come here and spend all day watching netflix.

Am I selfish /adv/ ? or are my parents what I suspect they are, self hating assholes who turned my brother against his culture and country and are trying to get him to forget his Spanish.

Who is right or wrong?
>>
>>18253331
Sucks you're sad, man, but this actually is a pretty great country and we don't hate you. People come here from all over the world and wouldn't go back even if they could, so I think it's more likely that you have an unfounded resentment. Plus, if you think a city like Portland hates you, you are the one with the twisted perception of reality. No question about it.

Hello from Corvallis, I was just visiting my brother in Hillsboro this weekend
>>
File: Dylann_Roof.jpg (10KB, 250x293px) Image search: [Google]
Dylann_Roof.jpg
10KB, 250x293px
>>18253342
>we don't hate you.
>>
>>18253355
I guess you don't know how to generalize. Hard to believe you're close to graduating.
>>
>>18253365
>Hard to believe you're close to graduating.

Medical science and research actually.

as I assumed, my father is wrong.
>>
>>18253331
Do whatever you want. You're a grown up man already. If you feel like you want to go back to Argentina then do so, they don't have the right to stop you.

They might genuinely believe that having life in US is paradise and only wants the best for you, but their perspective is different from yours. Just tell them politely you want to go back to Argentina and do your own thing. This is not selfish at all.
>>
>>18253331
What kind of job your parents have anyways?
>>
>>18253384
>What kind of job your parents have anyways?

bullshit compared to what they worked in back home.

My dad works for Nike at a foreman in a warehouse somewhere in hillsboro, Oregon.

and my mom sometimes works as a translator but mainly sits on her ass all day watching tv.

my mother is also what I call
mustia, means she's a hypocrite, she talks about Argentina with pride and talks about being involved in political work there during her 20 and before we left she was going to be involved in one of the presidential campaigns. She talks with so much pride, but when I speak to her in Spanish, she gets annoyed because "we're american and we suppose to speak English here."

she has forgotten where she came from. it's a disgrace.

my dad is just a foreman for a Nike warehouse in Oregon.
he used to work for Comcast in California when we lived in livermore but he quit and made us move again to come here. probably a little worse.

I had pretty much my only friend in livermore. we used to play starcraft 2 together, online that was about it.
>>
>>18253383
>They might genuinely believe that having life in US is paradise

I actually think they don't

I think when they came here, they came here on a lie thinking that america was the land of opportunity, but they severely downgraded in professions.

my dad was a business owner of chain pharmacies in Argentina, all he did was employ managers and office staff and he pretty much spent the rest of his days watching soccer or out with my mom.

my mom was a local county chief of staff of our district in our city (Mar Del Plata) and was up for collaborating in Buenos Aires, mayor election. She earned WAY more.

so I actually think, they know they fucked up (especially my father) but they have too much pride and ego to ever admit it.

the worst tragedy is my brother,
ever since he got his citizenship, he refuses to speak to me in Spanish, I'll ask him a question; and he will reply in English. fucking annoying.
>>
Is there as much opportunity for you back there? Don't underestimate your abilities. Once you start your own life with some girl in the US everything will fall in place.
>>
>>18253331
If you're moving back because you think that everyone hates you and you'll never find acceptance here, I think that's a pretty bad reason.

Tons of people get bullied on the bus, myself included and I speak English fine. It's a very hostile environment. Don't extrapolate it to assume that everyone is like that. I would try harder to make friends even if your English isn't good, a lot of people won't care. I doubt moving to Argentina would even fix that problem anyway, and it's a big risk to take if that's your main goal.

As for who's right, it's a cliché, but I think you're both wrong. It sounds like you're struggling with adapting to American society, it's not selfish for you to want to move back.

But you're parents aren't unreasonable for pursuing a higher standard of living by moving. And it's not self hatred to try and adapt to living in a foreign society(you might want to try it.)

And I'd say all in all you have a very skewed view of things, more so than them. You need to stop thinking in terms of countries, think about individuals, the country doesn't hate you, there are individuals who may hate you. I'm sure there are individuals who would like you too. Stop thinking so emotionally and getting so rapped up in nationalism. Think pragmatically, and try and get whatever it is you feel you're lacking.
>>
>>18253421
>Is there as much opportunity for you back there?

no. there isn't; not in Mar Del Plata, Argentina.

but that's not the point, if I have to throw away my degree and never get to do real medical research, that'd be ok, I rather work selling newspapers for a living in Argentina and be surrounded by my culture then live another year here, surrounded by white supremacists.

but I'm sure I can get a job at a hospital there.
I just wont be exposed to research facilities or higher education.

but I want kids and a wife and a house of my own. In no time I will be 30, most men in my country are already married by 24. I feel like a failure.

> some girl in the US.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/news/us-divorce-rate/

I'd be like shooting myself in the foot by taking an american woman.

no. just no.
>>
File: 1491249588671.jpg (34KB, 338x305px) Image search: [Google]
1491249588671.jpg
34KB, 338x305px
>>18253452
>Portland
>white supremacists
>>
>I rather work selling newspapers for a living in Argentina and be surrounded by my culture then live another year here, surrounded by white supremacists.

Lol you're fucking DELUSIONAL
>>
>>18253434
>you'll never find acceptance here

12 years and counting.

>everyone is like that.

I met ONE person, in the last 12 years of living in this place, that wasn't a complete dick; and you know what? He hated it here too. All me and him would talk about is StarCraft and South Korea and he talked about going back to Korea after college.

> I doubt moving to Argentina would even fix that

I have 8 cousins and uncles who would love for me to return home.

and yes, I consider them my family and friends.

> you're struggling with adapting to American society

No, American society has never adapted to people like me, and apparently all latino people are rapist and criminals.

So why could I want to adapt? to try and be someone Im not, all while living surrounded by people who already have a preconceived notion about me based on my skin color.

> higher standard of living by moving.

We actually lived better in Argentina.
We own 2 homes.

we live in a shitty apartment complex here.

>nationalism.

it has nothing to do with nationalism, it have everything to do with my culture.

> there are individuals who may hate you.

one of those people became the president, by getting others to vote for him who also supported his views.
>>
>>18253472
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volksfront

>Volksfront was alleged to have been involved in, or had knowledge of, the shooting of Luke Querner, an anti-racist activist in Portland. No charges have been brought.
yeah, I must be imagining things.
>>
File: portland.jpg (71KB, 600x348px) Image search: [Google]
portland.jpg
71KB, 600x348px
>>18253469
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volksfront

>No charges have been brought.
>>
You already have your mind made up so why are you even replying?

Just book your ticket and go back, stop making such a big deal about it
>>
>>18253501
only one person answered my fucking question.
ugh, that's right, this is 4chan.
>>
as someone who used to live there argentina is a fucking shithole with no future and you're retarded for wanting to go back there

US is a big place and if you don't like your state you can easily find one with a community that you like better

My father was an argentinian immigrant and when I asked him why he didn't seem to have any friends in europe that were south american too he said : "when immigrating never associate with people that share your culture, it's the best way to fail at everything immigrating is supposed to be about".

Overall you are making a poor life choice but if you'd rather be poor and miserable but have someone to drink mate with knock yourself out pendejo
>>
>>18253402
I feel bad for you anon. You're parents are supposed to be respectable people but life went shit when they arrived in US.

Why didn't he let someone oversee your business there? We have the internet and phones.
>>
So, argentians are not white?
>>
>>18253507

You're only question was if you're you we're being selfish or not.

The answer is yes, but that doesn't matter because you're 26 years old and you can make adult decisions with your own life, YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO BE SELFISH.

So stop whining and complaining about how much america sucks and go. It's your life. Live it how you want.
>>
>>18253517
>So, argentians are not white?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Argentina

not the majority.

no.
>>
>>18253515
>Why didn't he let someone oversee your business there? We have the internet and phones.

because he needed the money for the travel visas, they are extremely expensive and if you want anything done there fast, you have to pay extra.

he also knew that if he left it there, operating, he would not be able to keep it running the way it should and decided it was not worth the headache and left 2 stores and one co-owned store.

so in other words. he's a fucking moron.
>>
File: cItzBPR[1].png (19KB, 269x404px) Image search: [Google]
cItzBPR[1].png
19KB, 269x404px
>>18253521
>>
>>18253519
>YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO BE SELFISH.

the thing that aches me the most is trying to get him to understand this.

i'm not happy here,

but he always turns it into some other bullshit about one of my uncles on my mom's side of of the family he has problems with in the past.

he acts like im going to china, or some other country.

i'm going home.

if only he saw it that way.
>>
>>18253523
>>18253523

A visa is like 500 dollars tops what the fuck
>>
>>18253524
not american white, american white is it's own kind.

not for the better either.
>>
>>18253526
>A visa is like 500 dollars tops what the fuck

no it's not.

not in argentina.

and then when we got here, we had to get residency to live here because visas expire.

and we also had to buy 2 cars, and take time finding a job. and look for an apartment, and ect, ect. all that stuff is not free.

>>18253511
>but if you'd rather be poor and miserable but have someone to drink mate with knock yourself out

yeah actually I would. family is everything.
it's something my father has seemed to forgotten.

but I haven't.
>>
>>18253511
>"when immigrating never associate with people that share your culture, it's the best way to fail at everything immigrating is supposed to be about"

People in Europe don't see him as a European, and no matter how hard he may have tried to be a European he knows who he is; he can try and be ashamed of it and look down on his country men, but he's still just one of them,
and that's my point.

you can't just erase your past. and you shouldn't try too.

it's who you are, no matter how hard my brother tries to be an american, he's not an american. he's Argentino.

no matter how much I would assimilate myself into this country, it doesn't change the fact that I wasn't born here.
I was born in Mar Del Plata, Argentina, not Portland, Oregon.

and I would never distance myself from others that share my heritage, llo no soy un vendido de mierda como tu padre.
>>
>>18253541

>People in Europe don't see him as a European, and no matter how hard he may have tried to be a European he knows who he is; he can try and be ashamed of it and look down on his country men, but he's still just one of them,
and that's my point.

But you're missing his point. My father never thought himself as european, and was never ashamed of his friends in argentina. He's living in brazil right now, even, he's always been a big traveler and settling was never his cup of tea.

His point was that when you immigrate you have to understand that you're going to live with people that are different from you culturally, and that's fine. You'll meet different people all the goddamn time, even in your "own" culture, and being overly attached to similitude of origin is a sure way of shrink as a person and to limit yourself to one place.

"Belonging" somewhere is vastly overrated, and it shouldn't be this critically important at your age. You should be out there learning about the world and expanding your horizons, not trying to limit them as much as possible. I don't buy that whole racism thing, I think you're just desperate for a place to belong because you have unhandled insecurities you should adress before making a decision on where you want to live.
>>
>>18253553
>never associate with people that share your culture

> and was never ashamed of his friends in argentina.

>similitude of origin is a sure way of shrink

how exactly?

> limit yourself to one place.

Argentina is a very big country my friend.

>"Belonging" somewhere is vastly overrated

I don't think it is, I think it helps create identity. It helps create purpose in life, a sense of belonging is one of the most psychologically important things to someone, even Jewish people who never had a country before ww2, still held on to their own identity.

>You'll meet different people all the goddamn time

I'm fine using the internet to do that?

> and it shouldn't be this critically important at your age.

it is, and it should be. that's one of the reasons I hate america, the blatant destruction of peoples culture. I mean, last week I went into a Mexican restaurant and there was a photo of the owner and he was a white guy named micheal.

if we don't preserve culture, soon travel to other countries will be pointless because everyone will all be the same.

> age. You should be out there learning about the world and expanding your horizons.

Yeah, i know all of that; I've thought about that, what I want to contribute to society and to which one I want to contribute is too.
which is why I'm about to get a degree in Medical Science.

don't see why I have to contribute what ever I do with my life to america.

> I think you're just desperate for a place to belong because you have unhandled insecurities you should adress before making a decision on where you want to live.

I actually, really long to get married.
I want to be married to someone who is my equal and who respects me.

I want to marry someone that is like who my mother was in the 1980's in Argentina.

now she's been Americanized.

That's actually one of the main reasons I want to go back. To get married.

I can't do that here.
>>
>>18253595

>how exactly?

you're actively trying to go to a place you figure is your comfort zone. That's the exact opposite of growing up.

>Argentina is a very big country my friend.

About as much as any european country, which is to say, not at all really.

>even Jewish people who never had a country before ww2, still held on to their own identity.

It's a flawed comparison, jewish people in europe had to deal with centuries of persecution and ghettoisation, they never had a choice not to stick together.

The rest of your post is just confirming what I just said, you're just longing for a place where you feel comfortable without giving any other factor much thought at all. It's a terrible and childish way of thinking that is only excusable in someone that has gotten so old you can't expect him to put effort anymore. If you're like this at 26 I dread to think how you'll be at 50
>>
>>18253331
Abandoná a esos cipayos
>>
>>18253607
>About as much as any European country

lol yeah Portugal is bigger than Argentina.

>you're actively trying to go to a place you figure is your comfort zone.

I'll go anywhere from the equator down.
when we lived in Argentina we would go to Uruguay every other summer for vacation. We also have relatives on my dads side who live in Lima, Peru that work for the government there.

this isn't just about my hometown. It's about Latin American culture vs North American Culture. More especially, The United States and It's "Culture" which just so happens to be utter garbage.

>jewish people in europe had to deal with centuries of persecution and ghettoisation

yeah and gentrification of Latin communities doesn't happen in America?

that's what I fucking hate about white Americans, they love Latin food, they hate Latin people, calling all Mexicans rapists and criminals, they love hip hop and everything creative black people have dont, but they all hate black people.

I just watched a movie called The Departed 2 weeks ago, turns out; it was first produced in hong kong, china.
but Americans took it, put white actors in it and made it their own. because god forbid we show Chinese film with Chinese actors in movie theaters.

and they do that to everything.

music, hundreds of black rap artist come out with amazing music,

and one white guy who is merely emulating the black culture comes out with semi good music and BAM he's a multi-million dollar success.

America sucks peoples cultures up, changes them to fit white american standards and calls it their own.

it's culture vulching. and its bullshit.

>you're just longing for a place where you feel comfortable without giving any other factor much thought at all

So if it's wonderful leaving your home country behind. Move to china, and learn Chinese, lets see if all those people bypass the blatant difference that your eyes are round.
>>
>>18253647
>Abandoná a esos cipayos

nunca. nunca olvidare mi patagonia. mi argentina, mi patria.

todo por argentina!
>>
>>18253331

Do what you want, it's your life and nobody else can tell you how to live it. If going to Argentina will make you happier then go for it.

Make sure its for the right reasons though, everyone in the US doesn't hate or look down on you. There's good people and bad ones everywhere, sounds like you just had some bad luck. Don't give up on people wherever you are (except the cunts) Best of luck whatever you do
>>
>>18253663

>Best of luck whatever you do

thanks.
>>
>>18253659
In a more serious note, and to answer your question: yeah, you're being selfish, but not in a bad way, you're just looking out for yourself. Your parents are also beong selfish, in a good way, because they think they're helping you by trying to convince you to stay. Just do your do, get a plane ticket and rent an apartment somewhere, bring in a good amount of dollars and exchange them for pesos. Would you go back to Mar del Plata or somewhere else tho?
>>
>>18253682
>Would you go back to Mar del Plata or somewhere else tho?

Mar de plata but I want to continue studying. So I will most likely end up moving to Buenos Aires.

are your Argentino?

>bring in a good amount of dollars and exchange them for pesos

I have 15,000 saved up over the years of american money.

that should be good. and my dad's house is still there under his name. I can stay there, one my cousins lives there.
>>
Back to Argentina with you, miserable cunt*

*Probably why no friends, virgin (you need to lighten up, bro)
>>
>>18253689
>are you argentino?
Yeah, born and raised in CABA.
You said you were studying medicine there in the US, yes? Can't you get your diploma validated for use here? Are you planning on continuing your studies in that area? There are tons of med unis here, but Mar del Plata has some good universities too. I'd actually move there to study if I wasn't a lazy butt
>I have 15,000 saved up over the years of american money. (...) And my dad's house is still there under his name.
Lucky. Don't let too many people know you have that amount though.
Good luck with whatever choice you make m8
>>
>>18253704
>You said you were studying medicine there in the US, yes?

Yeah,

Medical Science and Research
Vaccine research to be exact.

Can you get your diploma validated for use here?

Mar Del Plata does't have very good science oriented universities yet, they have some downtown but not a lot and the wait is horrendous. the north is better for higher education.

>Are you planning on continuing your studies in that area?

yes absolutely. it's important that I do.

> I'd actually move there to study if I wasn't a lazy butt

why did you come to the U.S.?

>Don't let too many people know you have that amount though.

it's all I a bank, and yes im quite aware of crime in Argentina.
>>
You sound like a cunt desu. I don't think moving will solve your problems.
>>
>>18253331
Your parents sound like damn good people for loving this country, and did the right thing. Your just an asshole OP. My grandparents came here from another country and didn't speak English too well their entire life. But you know what they did? They stuck it out, started a family, and I was able to total assimilate and became a full blown American. I only speak English, only like American foods, and think all other countries (including the one they left) are shit. And this is all because they stuck it out here.

You disgust me OP, and I hope you leave
>>
File: donald trumps america.jpg (39KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
donald trumps america.jpg
39KB, 640x480px
>>18253701
>Don't let too many people know you have that amount though.

(picture related) gladly.

>(you need to lighten up, bro)
and do what?
>>
>>18253719

>Back to Argentina with you, miserable cunt*
>>
>>18253715
>why did you come to the US?
Trying to learn who I am and all that stuff. Lived in Portland, Detroit, and Milwaukee, though I'm going back to Buenos Aires in a couple of weeks. Wanted to go to Mar del Plata for at least 6 months but I just wanna go back home now.

Your research field seems interesting. Have you looked into universities to go to?
>>
>>18253718
>You disgust me OP, and I hope you leave

and your grandparents digust me.

leaving behind their own culture for her kids to do what?

"total assimilate" ?

they wish,

no, I wont trash my heritage. kindly go fuck yourself. I am not my traitor father. never.
>>
>>18253719
Umm, get laid? Go out with friends? You admitted to just hanging about playing SC2. Lol, lighten up and stop acting like such a jaded cunt. Have you ever thought that the people that "picked on poor me, Argentinian immigrant angel," had their own problems (abusive dad at home, eg) and were using you as a outlet because you seem like a doormat. I thought Argentinians loved going to psychological therapists (at least Bourdain made it seem that way), so do everyone a favor and go see a therapist, you cunt. Or, just move back to Argentina. There, problem solved (maybe, lol).
>>
>>18253733

Your "heritage" is literally a fucking made up country of immigrants stealing land from indigenous indians, only to fail at every basic step of being a modern country and turn into a shithole of corruption and occasional military dictatorship

Eres un boludo, pendejo
>>
>>18253733
My grandparents weren't a traitor you piece of shit. Their country let them down, just like your shitty country let you down. America tried to provide for you, but you rejected all of it with your bullshit "muh don't belong here" meme. You don't belong here because you don't want to belong here. You should leave you miserable bastard
>>
>>18253732
>Lived in Portland

shit city.

living here currently. at psu.

>Wanted to go to Mar del Plata for at least 6 months but I just wanna go back home now.

the summers there are unbeatable.

Y la comida, no la puedes comparar.

Go to Mar Del Plata. it's an amazing ocean front.

>Your research field seems interesting. Have you looked into universities to go to?

yeah there is multiple in Buenos Aires. I'm not exactly worried I wont be able to continue my education.
>>
>>18253744
>the summers there are unbeatable
And full of people. I usually go to beach-centric cities in winter, they are much more calm then, Mar Azul is a favourite of mine. I'm definitely going next year though
Also don't forget to get a Sube card because buses don't take coins anymore. You'll have to register it under your name or it'll become useless though
>>
>>18253741
>just like your shitty country let you down

It didn't let me down, I will always believe in my country you swine fuck, and I had nothing to do with the decision to leave to begin with, my dickless father did, he served in the military when he was younger, and now where is he?

"Everything For Argentina" he used to tell me.
and now what? working for some fat white guy instead of helping his country. fuck him.

and fuck your pussy grandfather too, it's easy to be proud of your people and your country when everything is going good, but when times get hard, the turn coats start to show. I rather die along side my fellow men, than live on at the feet of others.

fuck you, and your grandparents.

they forgot. "through the best of times, and through the worst of times"
>>
>>18253737
>You admitted to just hanging about playing SC2.

what's wrong with Starcraft 2?

>Umm, get laid?

with some american girl who will claim I raped her the next day because she regrets everything?

nope. not buying it. i'll wait for a woman from Argentina, they still have decency and hold onto traditional values.

>had their own problems

I have problems, we all do, but I don't take them out on other people who have nothing to do with them, even at 15 and from a 3rd world country I knew that. and these kids were from "The best country on the planet" your a fuckwit.

>Bourdain

go to school and learn about history outside of a bunch of slave owners having a circle jerk dipshit.

>because you seem like a doormat.

because I have manners I'm a doormat?
so if I hit them, I get arrested and deported
but if they hit me and I hit back, I still get arrested and deported.

yeah I chose to do nothing, when being able to do something.

>just move back to Argentina. There, problem solved

actually yeah it will be, I won't have to use this language for one, and I will be able to study and help people who I actually wanna help. people like me.
>>
>>18253756
Your filled with useless pride. Look at the reality of your country. it's corrupt as hell, economic growth is terrible, and nothing significant is being done to fix it. It's not sticking through the good and bad when all times are just bad. It was the same with my grandparents country. Also, the reality is that if I was in their country, I wouldn't have not been able to accomplish all that I could have. The US took my grandparents in, gave them a better life, and they gave back to it by being productive citizens.

But hey, they traitors according to you. So go back to (((your))) country. America is better off with people who hate this great country leaving rather than staying
>>
>>18253752
>Mar Azul

lots of childhood memories there.
brings a smile to my face.

yeah the buses got an update. dam people, I remember taking it all the way back to the outskirts of the city to see my uncle. people would jam old, dirty coins in the slots and it would fuck up the whole machine.

i'm glad they did this, seems more simple.
>>
>>18253770
You have very deep and intricate mental complexes. Godspeed in your attempts at unraveling them.
>>
>>18253787
>You have very deep and intricate mental complexes. Godspeed in your attempts at unraveling them.

that can be said about you and everyone else who truly says what they think.

you've proven nothing.

bye.
>>
You need some close friends. You seem like the typical fag from this site ie you're immensely socially awkward, don't have many close friends, and suck at conversation.

The hard truth is that even if you move back to Argentina, you'll still be an outsider because you'll still be an awkward dude who spends too much time on 4chan. Except then you won't have your family with you, removing the few bits of social support you have left.

I would advise that you try to make some friends in your area that speak good English and hang out with them a lot. I have a feeling that your English is bad because you sit alone by yourself instead of being immersed in it.
>>
>>18253798
Nah, don't bother giving him actual advice anon. Let this bastard leave the country for Argentina. Let him see how shit it is
>>
>>18253775
>. The US took my grandparents in, gave them a better life, and they gave back to it by being productive citizens.

that's my point idiot.

if a country is shit and everyone leaves, nothing will ever get better, my mother at one point in her life believed in that, I have photos of her out there protesting Pinochet and the u.s. lead military regime
and the dirty war, some of her friends were vanished and most likely got tossed out of a moving plane.

she believed that without direct action things dont change for future generations.

and at the end what? we leave? toss in the towel?

not me, if it has to be me and my family who has to be out there working to build a better Argentina for the next generation or Argentinos, then so be it, but why should I contribute to this country? So it can go start more phony wars overseas and "liberate" people from "dictators" all for control of the oil.

fuck you, and fuck your america.
and fuck your president.
>>
>>18253814
Only an idiot spends 50 years on a lost cause to "build a better Argentina". You expected your parents wouldn't throw in the towel when they spent all that time trying to improve the country, just to see almost no change at all? They were smart to leave OP. They fulfilled their duty to their country by trying to improve it, and their country didn't fulfill it's duty of getting better. Enjoy seeing your parents proven right when you go back. Oh btw, what happened to Kirchner? Oh that's right, she was impeached on the grounds of corruption. Oh and how recently did Argentina default on its debt, 15 years ago? And the last time the US defaulted? Oh that's right, never. Enjoy your crap country
>>
>I'm about to graduate from PSU
God I fucking hate Portland. Bunch of literal communists and related freaks.

Yes, fucking go already. You're convinced your parents don't know shit and that you know the full story at the venerable age of 26 so why hold back? I don't even fucking get why you're ass blasted about them using English anyways, Spanish is also the white mans tongue.

>>18253500
>1994
Literally over 20 years ago. Kind of says something if that's your go to argument to prove Portland is full of racists.
>>
>>18253798
>you'll still be an awkward dude who spends too much time on 4chan

I never used the internet when I was in Argentina to browse the internet. I only used it to play sc:broodwar.

other than that I played soccer or helped my dad at his pharmacy after school was out. I had alot of friends from school and from my old neighborhood I hung out with. I only became recluse and started to play starcraft alot more when I moved here.

>Except then you won't have your family with you

all my cousins, aunts and uncles live there, and I still talk to them every other day on facebook.

one lives in lima, but he's way to busy to chat.

>I would advise that you try to make some friends in your area that speak good English and hang out with them a lot.

meh, what would I have in common with them?
>>
>>18253827
>she was impeached on the grounds of corruption

you just proved my point, 40 years ago that would have never happened, but it was because of people like my mom that had the courage to stand up the the regime that things changed and now we can get rid of someone who is a scumbag without having to riot and get shot at by military police.

that right there shows upward change.

as little as it may be, it's changing. macri is doing good by us, but if he turns out to be a piece of shit, we will get rid of him.

that's systemic overall change that was caused by the dirty war and people who had the balls to fight in it and face death for Argentina.

so again.

fuck you.
>>
>>18253833
>Bunch of literal communists and related freaks.
I agree, I fucking hate portland as well.

because argentinos don't speak english, they speak spanish.
>>
File: free helicopter rides.jpg (65KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
free helicopter rides.jpg
65KB, 600x600px
>>18253814
>and most likely got tossed out of a moving plane.
Not a plane, friend.
>>
File: Portland.png (1MB, 1059x935px) Image search: [Google]
Portland.png
1MB, 1059x935px
>>18253856
>because argentinos don't speak english, they speak spanish.
White mans tongue either way.

Regardless you have to be grasping for straws to argue Portland of all places is racist. Honestly strikes me as you're looking for an excuse to be angry, and by extension have a reason to move. For christ sakes THIS is where you live.
>>
File: 00womenHit8.jpg (47KB, 350x500px) Image search: [Google]
00womenHit8.jpg
47KB, 350x500px
>>18253873
>For christ sakes THIS is where you live.

what does all of that have to do with the perception of people of color.

march all you want, a black guy walks into a store and he's still gonna get followed by loss prevention,

and that's with or without "walking tours"

oh and I guess I am considered white. even though I have black hair and brown eyes, I guess that makes me spanish still.

and here I was thinking white "aryan" people had to look like this girl in this poster to be real white people not "wops" "dagos".
>>
File: A-picture-released-by-the-001.jpg (31KB, 460x276px) Image search: [Google]
A-picture-released-by-the-001.jpg
31KB, 460x276px
>>18253868
these fucking cucarachas that dare call themselves argentinos flew planes, not helicopters.
>>
File: 1491850653915.png (177KB, 720x463px) Image search: [Google]
1491850653915.png
177KB, 720x463px
>>18253868
>tfw my halfsister's uncle was part of the dictatorship
>tfw free helicopter rides
Living the good life
>>
>>18253649
Hahaha holy fucking shit. You sound like a miserable piece of shit. Por favor salte de mi paise y nunca te regresas. You give latinos a bad name.
>>
I can't speak for South America, but I have spoken with asians who were moving back to Hong Kong, from the US. I think because the economy is better there now. Disposable electronics and all that.
>>
>>18253331
im an argie still living in argentina, trust me you dont want to belong here
People here will resent you and envy you, this country is a shithole you are lucky you didnt get to experience the last 12 years. Trust me, things changed
>>
>>18253342
fag
>>18253331
i hate you.
>>
>>18253595
afghan here
i can kind of relate... but unlike you, i will not be able to return in the foreseeable future. i was born and grew up in europe.

i fully understand you, but have you thought about the fact that you are not truly argentinian either? just the mere fact that you spent almost half of your life there must make you half american....

i just dont understand why people cant accept other cultures and language and have this intense desire to make them fit their ideals.
its not like cultures or languages are dangerous or anything like that, nor are they subjects of debate.
they exist and thats it. what is so bad about it?

i dont think there is anything wrong with the world becoming one. but i do think there is a problem with globalization erasing our identities and sense of belonging.
humanity benefits from being split into tradition, language and culture.
if we were to destroy them, there would be no real competition and thus no progress.
globalization reminds me of the story of the tower of babel, when mankind was one and god shattered their arrogant attempt to climb to heaven by seperating them into nations and tribes. really makes you think
>>
File: animated armstrong.png (164KB, 409x325px) Image search: [Google]
animated armstrong.png
164KB, 409x325px
>>18253331
>I plan on moving back to Argentina permanently
Tenés mierda en la cabeza? Argentina está ardiendo. Lo peor que podrías hacer es venirte de Estados Unidos para acá
>>18253452
>surrounded by white supremacists
The fuck are you talking about? USA is a SJW nest, leftist shithole
>I'd be like shooting myself in the foot by taking an american woman
You are right about that one. North American women are fucking shit, only serve as cum dumpsters
>>
>>18254005
>de mi paise

no eres americano, nada mas te lo cres perro.
>>
>>18254297
>People here will resent you and envy you,

All my family is there.

I should just act like they dont exist anymore?
>>
>>18254506
>you are not truly argentinia

I will always be a Argentino, no matter where I go in life.

I will hold on to that identity, because it is part of who I am. A big part.

> half american....

No, I reject all american values and keep my old. I never try and assimilate myself with american life.

so no Im not half anything.
>>
>>18255418
Soy Americano, as American as they come. I'm just not a fucking idiot who generalizes an entire people because of anecdotal evidence.

Sabes que? Todos mis amigos que son latinos, be it Mexican, Salvadoreno, ARGENTINOS, todos se hablan de rap music as "nigger music."

>Pon te el nigger music jajajaja
>Los pinches niggers no saben nada solo rap music jaja

Sabes que mas? I'm stupid enough to judge the entirety of Mexicans, Argentinos, or Salvadorians as a bunch of racist pieces of shit. I'm not stupid enough to not realize there are assholes WHEREVER YOU GO. Sabes que in Mexico tambien lo discriminar si te stas mas moreno? It's not an American invention.

If you want to go to Argentina to be with your family which lines up more with your values, go for it. I hope you have many children. Right now you're no better than the Americans you revile so much, and fuck you if you raise your children to be racist pieces of shit like yourself. Buena suerte, pendejo.
>>
>>18255925
>Sabes que mas? I'm stupid enough to judge the entirety of Mexican

you sounded like a dumb fuck to begin with, you didn't need to clarify.

Y si, mis hijos seran Argentinos, no "americanos" de mierda.
>>
>>18253483
It's nonsense that it's impossible for a Latino to have friends here, I've met plenty that do, and I'm friends with a few myself. Hell, My roommate's Arab, and he's got way more friends than me.

You're main problem is your attitude, if you're unwilling to adapt to American society then of course you should leave. If you're don't want to engage with American culture, how could you expect to be happy here? You're basically saying you're unwilling to try fit in and you're mad you don't fit in. Personally, I don't see what's wrong with acting like an American around the Americans and an Argentinian around the Argentinians, that's what I would do.
>>
>>18256022
>I don't see what's wrong with acting like an American around the Americans

>acting

that's what's wrong with it, I would never really be myself.

>Argentinian around the Argentinians

I don't have to act or pretend to be argentino. I am argentino.

> if you're unwilling to adapt to American society then of course you should leave.

it's american white society that rejects others, not the other way around.

I can't seem to stress the >white in "american white society"
>>
>>18256038
Dude what's wrong with becoming something else? It's not like you're have to stay the same person your whole life, why would gaining an American identity erase you're Argentinian one? Are they mutually exclusive? What exactly is it you're unwilling to do?

And again believe what you will, but I've seen plenty of minorities do fine here, my Arab roommates social life puts me to shame, and I'm lighter skin than him. I have a black friend who does quite well also.

There's clearly more than skin color at play here.
>>
>>18256003
Haha whoops I fucked up. Should've read

>I'm not* stupid enoguh to judge the entirety of Mexicans, Argentinos

como tu. It's hilarious how you do not see the hypocrisy of what you are doing pendejo. Solo tu vas feed the cycle of racism and hate because you're too miserable to realize assholes aren't exclusive to colors of skin.
>>
>>18256136
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGcSNuU5t0o

he sums it up perfectly.

culture vulching. people love my culture but they don't love me.

blacks,
mexicans,
asians,
arabs,
ect.

it all comes here and gets tailored to fit white american standards,

so fuck that.

>Dude what's wrong with becoming something else?

the past is what makes you into who you are,
choosing to ignore that, is choosing to ignore yourself.

I said it in this thread, even Jewish people who are hated resisted culture destruction, so will I.
>>
>>18256148
>assholes aren't exclusive to colors of skin.
>>18253355
lol yeah sure.
>>
>>18253331
Volve, pero volve con suficiente dinero para que puedas comprar algo un departamento o casa, no vas a poder comprate nada aca trabajando desde 0 sin experiencia con 25 años, estas bastante crecido para encontrar algo que te deje bastante dinero. Sino tenes los 2 lados nunca vas a saber con cual quedarte, siempre podes volver a USA sino te gusto aca
>>
>>18256296
tengo 15,000 de villete americano, y mi papa tiende dos casas en mar del plata, no estoy muy preucupado, pero gracias por las palabras amigo.
>>
>>18256318
Mar del plata se lleno de villa y casas tomadas, si podes venite a capital vas a tener mas oportunidades de laburo y de estudiar y conocer gente
>>
>>18256321
>Mar del plata se lleno de villa y casas tomadas, si podes venite a capital vas a tener mas oportunidades de laburo y de estudiar y conocer gente

si, antes mi madre estaba trabajando en buenos aires, estaba pendando en ir cuando regrese at la universidad.
>>
>>18256339
Aca siempre vas a ser bienvenido, no va a ser igual al país que te fuiste es bastante peor pero sino sin sentido de pertenencia nunca vas a ser feliz en Estados Unidos
>>
Don't blame your parents for some of the negative racist experiences you had to go through. They didn't and aren't trying to destroy your identity, don't be fucking retarded. They tried to give you a better chance at succeeding and I agree it was a good decision.

That being said you can be your own person and give Argentina a try. Your parents also were granted their own free will and decided to come to America. Seems like you're being to harsh and judgemental on your parents and you come across as very entitled.

I'm sorry you got made fun when you were learning English and it doesn't sound like you made many friends. At your age and beyond it seems to be hard in general to do just that. There are plenty of good people still here, don't let your early experiences overtake you.
>>
>>18256274
Come on man, don't blame America for your struggle, do you think if I went to Argentina, and didn't speak Spanish or observe any of your customs I would be accepted?

You're morally opposed to participating in American culture, that's fine, but stop complaining that " American's don't accept non-whites" when there are tons of examples to the contrary. The reality is that you aren't making any effort to be accepted.

You can choose between your philosophy or being accepted here. I won't say you should pick one or the other, but at least acknowledge there is a choice, and that you're not a victim. You can argue as much as you want that you are, and you clearly believe so, but the only reward for winning is helplessness.
>>
>>18253331
Of course you're selfish. You should look out for your own self interest, although bear in mind that your family probably want you around to keep them company.

Consider that your parents have different values than you do (maybe they are more interested in economic opportunity than culture), and they may have made a rational choice to immigrate here given those values. That would mean they are rational agents, rather than self-hating assholes. Whether things matched their expectations is another matter.

I'm also not sure why you think bad English is stopping you from having friends. Every major city and college town will have a decent number of Spanish-speakers. Seems to me you might not be very sociable. Actually met an Argentine with a similar personality last summer...

All that aside, the US is a nation of northern Europeans, and you will only 'belong' in the mongrelized large cities that will be turned to dust in the inevitable nuclear holocaust. You have to go back.
>>
narcissism, the thread
>>
>>18253331
>I have never felt like i belonged, I feel like an outsider here.
My grandpa moved from Germany to Murica basically for the same reasons. In Germany he was always in immigrant while everyone in Murica is one. Part of belonging is down to you.

>and when I lived in livermore I was constantly called a spic by the other kids on the bus because I was still learning English.
Why building your opinion about a country from a very limited experience with couple idiots? Sure, there are tons of them as the election proved but there are tons of people who think they are embarrassing and pathetic.

>trying to destroy my identity and replace it with a "better" one
This is a silly train of thought, your identity is whatever YOU choose it to be. Besides, why defining yourself over shit like that? All the nationalism shit is idiotic. You're neither an Argentino nor a Amerifat, you're a human.

>Who is right or wrong?
No one. Your partners moved to US of A because it obviously offers more opportunities than Argentina. If you don't like it there, it's your good right to move wherever you want and it doesn't matter whether they like it.

t. immigrant in based Europe who encountered similar problems but stopped caring about shit like that

>>18254506
>but i do think there is a problem with globalization erasing our identities and sense of belonging
But it's all your doing trying your identity to some meme like a country aka. lines that separate the ruling territories of some rich, powerful guys. On the other hand, something like culture isn't going to change too much.
>>
Hey faggot
Just do what you want.
I promise staying here is way more worth it though.
I came from Cuba and I made it as a professional psychologist and I'm living large compared to all my family members in Cuba.
I promise you that one day you will have everything you need here and you can even bring more family to this country to live out your days if you work for it.
It's much harder for my people to get anywhere in this country because traveling is pretty much unobtainable for Cubans with no family in the United States and our schools aren't as good as really any in the world.(except our medical schools)
I know that speaking English and feeling like yourself is hard and one day I realized that being bilingual will help more in my field and I've met more hispanics that I can consider friends and family because of my position.
Just do what feels best for you, but if you can just push through in this country you could be rich and eating good for years to come.
>>
>>18256276
I don't understand. Are you actually stupid enough to think assholes do not exist in latino culture? I already showed you how it exists, pendejo.

See, now there's no point for this thread to continue because you're so blinded by your own stupidity and miserable life that you'll remain unconvinced of any argument whatsoever. Por favor, salte de me paise y nunca te regresas. This nation esta mas mejor sin tu y tus plagas.
>>
>>18256726
>Por favor, salte de me paise y nunca te regresas

Is this supposed to be spanish? It makes no sense. Paise isn't even a word.
>>
>>18256848
Isn't pais country? Maybe he's just illiterate.
>>
>>18256862
Yes, país does mean that. I guess that makes sense, he more or less speaks it but doesn't know how to write it. Wonder how common that is in the US.
>>
>>18256873
>Wonder how common that is in the US
There are many Americans who only lived all their life in America surrounded by Americans and still fail at English words that have more than two syllables, so fucking up the spelling of a second language is pretty basic. Although throwing in couple Spanish words in an otherwise English post reads fake as fuck.
>>
>>18256888
Yeah, spanish speakers also often write like crap, but this is different. No spanish speaker would write like he did because it goes against spanish pronunciation rules. It doesn't read like misspelled spanish, it reads like englishy spanish. I agree that it feels fake and even more when you know it doesn't make sense.
>>
>>18253331
I sympathize with your situation completely. My parents are South Korean but I was born in Japan, then moved to South Korea, then to United States.

I was able to make few American friends over time, but I always felt out of place in conversations and activities as I couldn't assimilate into their culture.
My English wasn't terrible, but I just couldn't stomach the feeling of inferiority and the frustration of not being understood.
I also rejected my Korean identity, due to friction with the degenerate community in the cities I lived in, and distrust to my fuckup parents who infuriates me to this day.

The only thing that remained after the disintegration of my cultural identities was a romanticized version of the Japanese culture and my childhood.

Do you think your need for belonging will be fulfilled if you move back?
You've already spent nearly half your life in the US, and it doesn't sound like you were in contact with your Argentinian culture during that time. Like you said, a person's identity is made up of their past, and with your mixed history I don't think you'll find belonging any easier than you would here.

Nobody can stop you from doing what you think is right, but I'd recommend thinking over your reasons for doing so.
>>
>>18256927
>South Korean but I was born in Japan
Jesus kek, that's almost some Palestine - Israel type of shit.
Thread posts: 110
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.