[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Committed a very serious crime a couple of years ago and considering

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 5

File: 1492265729550.jpg (729KB, 1280x1920px) Image search: [Google]
1492265729550.jpg
729KB, 1280x1920px
Committed a very serious crime a couple of years ago and considering turning myself in out of guilt / shame.

Could potentially do up to 14 years, but I'll probably do around 6.

Should I do it? I'll have to give away my dog and my family will probably be devastated, but I want the person I hurt to feel closure.

At the same time though, I can't help but feel like it'd be selfish for me to do this, like it would just be to make me feel better about myself.

I feel like it shouldn't be a hard decision to turn yourself in if you're guilty of a crime, but I don't know if it would actually be the best option. Thoughts?
>>
>>18249627
Did you rape someone?
>>
>>18249627
if you think you are a danger to the rest of society then yes, turn yourself in.
>>
File: thumbsup.gif (1MB, 400x315px) Image search: [Google]
thumbsup.gif
1MB, 400x315px
You should turn yourself in.

Its clear most of your intentions are pure. You want to help the person you help feel closure. Even if some of your motives are selfish, its still a selfless act.

If you're going to get caught/charged anyways, it'd be better to turn yourself in too. The judge would likely give you an easier sentence, especially if you explain how you feel about the act you've committed.
>>
>>18249629
No I showed my butt in a record store. It's very illegal here
>>
File: 1491512323683.png (186KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
1491512323683.png
186KB, 500x333px
>>18249629
It was a very serious crime.

>>18249638
I know I will never do anything like this ever again, it would not be about seeking rehabilitation, it would be completely to show repentance.

>>18249645
I would most certainly never be charged if I didn't turn myself in.

I think I'll go to a Catholic church and ask for an opinion tomorrow. I'm not religious it doesn't seem like a bad idea anyways.
>>
Sure hand yourself in when there is no actual logical reason to, police will love you for 5 minutes while they laugh themselves silly until they forget bout your dumbest when they go to their next callout, and the rest of society will reject you and so will your family.

This is a great idea you should do this
>>
I'm guessing hit and run.

if the above is true:
were you drinking? don't turn yourself in, the penalty is huge in most states. just make sure to NEVER do it again.
were you sober? feel free to turn yourself in, get a slap on the wrist.
>>
>>18249646
You're anonymous, Christ. Just say it.

Your evasive posts waste your time and ours
>>
>>18249672

This is kinda true.

Do you want to be locked in a small box with a psychopaths and idiots for 22 hours a days. Maybe for a year. But best case scenario 6 years??? Just to get involved in some altercation 3 months before release wth one of these nuggets that might land you another 5 years... Where you might start using drugs etc... when friends and family stop visiting so frequently and no one's filling your canteen.

I can think of hundreds of ways you can better if not your self or the needy in society. And needy doesn't necessarily mean homeless druggies or sociopathic helpless single mothers. More likely elderly who are likely to hand their life savings over to some telephone scammer. Question is are you even moral enough to volunteer for something like that.

I still haven't got mine yet to have time to help others. Whenever I do something good it always just leads to being taken advantage of.
>>
>>18249627
dude wtf? you are crazy... the fact that it even crosses your mind for a second means that you should not do it. you are not meant for prison. you would not like it much
>>
>>18249627
If you're going to turn yourself in there's no harm in admitting what you did on an anonymous forum, in fact I'd claim it's a good idea to tell us now. By admitting it to us you're preparing yourself to face the police, it's like a practice run. Look at it this way - if you can't tell us how the fuck are you going to walk to a police station and admit it to them in person?
>>
>>18249688
It's irrelevant. You just want to satiate your curiosity. He committed a serious felony and that's enough to go off.

>>18249672
>>18249697
I agree with both of these.

No point to turn yourself in now, but there are ways you can give back if you're capable.

Jail fucking sucks by the way. I know because I've been there.
>>
>>18249688
The person you replied to isn't me.
>>
>>18249627
they don't like nerdy white rapists in prison dumb dumb...
>>
>>18249724
well they do like them but you wouldn't find it to be a very enjoyable or even cathartic
>>
Honest to god I don't think I've faced as serious a question on /adv/ before. This one's big. Will probably be the biggest.

Is this person's closure worth that much jail time? Is there something about your person that warrants you needing this punishment? As in are you likely to commit other crimes, even if they're not of the same nature? Are you turning yourself in not to fix yourself and protect your community, but to ensure there is a greater balance of fairness in the world? If so I'd personally consider this notion admirable, and can see why you'd go through with this. While you could never erase the crime, you would technically be one of those people ensuring that proper justice is served in the world.

And my biggest question: if someone did this crime to you, what do you think would be an equal and fair punishment?
>>
>>18249727
experience
>>
>>18249717
Details actually do matter in the court and sentencing. Thought you'd know this, being to jail and all. Simple examples as someone stated before, vehicular manslaughter vastly changes in conviction and definition and sentence in the court if substances are involved.

There are slew of related examples in every realm of crime.
>>
File: dick in the face.jpg (172KB, 1024x936px) Image search: [Google]
dick in the face.jpg
172KB, 1024x936px
OP writes the best clickbait.

>advice board
>zero real information
>help me out guise
>>
>>18249711
>be me, criminal
>confess to committing a specific crime on the internet
>somebody reports me to the fbi as a meme
>i serve time without even having the satisfaction of turning myself in

no thanks.
>>
>>18249731
Don't bullshit me. You just want to know because you're curious. Also see >>18249732
which is related.
>>
>>18249627

My honest opinionl and forgive me if i sound a bit too liberal here, but..

Everyone deserves a second chance, and the point of our judical system is punishment which is bullshit because there are other countries that are more rehabilitation centric and it works a hell of a lot better.

Also im a tradesman. In my circles i work among ex cons, even murderers who have done jail time. Theyre good people who found themselves in shitty life circumstances and given the chance became good men and they are well accepted free of judgement and condemnation.

What im.getting at here, anon, is youll feel guilty for life whether you do the time or not.

If youre truly remorseful, and you are going somewhere, and you know in your core you are not a criminal, i dont see much reason for you to turn yourself in.

The exception being if you killed. someone innocent or raped someone or framed someone and ruined their life and serving justice would bring closure to the victims and/or their families. In which case i think you should step forward, because there is still a world of pain you caused someone else you could alleviate by serving time.

But seriously if you just robbed someone or commit some kind of fraud then fuck it. They didnt get ya. Move forward and be better.

What did u do tho?
>>
>>18249731
You don't actually need details. I'm not him but this can be boiled down to a very simple concept. If you ran a red light and nobody knew would you make an officer write a ticket for you? Why? You don't gain anything from the punishment, you already know y8u did wrong and most serious crimes aren't repeated unless you're mentally fucked. There's no gain at all from doing this.
>>
>>18249731
i guess vehicular assault resulting in permanent injury. But ya details are crucial, each case is different and especially with first time offenders prosecutors will take into account the totality of the situation. they are interested in justice that is why they do the job they do, it is not even just the particular class of crime (or the charge) they take in to account, even the circumstances involving the case and the individuals involved will be taken into account if they are brought up by defendants attorney
>>
>>18249738
So you do agree that OP is making it up, and that what you said before about details being bullshit is in fact bullshit itself?

What >>18249744 said is correct and why I ask in the first place.

If you wronged someone in the form of actual rape (we aren't talking college drunk sex, I mean legit physical assault in the form of rape) or intentional murder, you did take life, happiness, and rights someone or their loved ones if you feel extreme guilt over it.

You can run and start anew as that Anon said. But the guilt won't escape if it is a crime that robbed someone of existence over a selfish or stupid reason.
>>
>>18249681
Why would this matter? Unless he says he was drunk there would be no way to tell if he was or not for the worse penalty
>>
>>18249748
>I want the person I hurt to feel closure
OP hurt someone. A better example would be running a red light and killing your neighbors dog.

>>18249759
Yes, he would have to confess for them to know. Which is what he is thinking about doing.
>>
>>18249750
Look if you killed someone with your car, accident or not, under the influence or not, add whatever other circumstance or variable you can possibly imagine but in the end of the day if you're guilty you're guilty and you're going to receive some sort of sentencing. This goes for whatever felony OP has committed.

It doesn't matter what happens to OP after he turns himself. Point is he wants to free himself of guilt by turning himself in. Whether he does 1 year or 10 years is irrelevant. He's still doing time regardless. This is a matter of him freeing his mind by confessing. The court proceedings and everything that follows after the fact is irrelevant here.

So once again, it's irrelevant the details of the crime. You all just want to know to satiate your curiosity.
>>
OP here, my question is not about specific legal ramifications, it's a moral question, so all you need to know is that it was considerably heinous.

The problem is that I don't want to do this just for attention. People know what I did and think less of me for it, and while I would like to be thought of better, I can't imagine anything faggier than sacrificing basically all the good parts of life and my families happiness and letting go of all of my current responsibilities (although I don't have many) to go serve time for a crime that I know I do not require rehabilitation for.

But, I do want to behave in the most ethical way possible. A large part of me feels that just volunteering frequently and using my second chance to live a good / full life would do the world more good than turning myself in, but that could just be me not wanting to go to prison.

Idk.
>>
>>18249767
Did you do something that might be made a little 'better' by serving time for it? Dead people won't see you but a living victim might.

If nobody benefits significantly from such a significant sacrifice then it isn't worth it
>>
>>18249757
>what you said before about details being bullshit is in fact bullshit itself?
No, the point I was making was that if someone makes a vague statement then everyone wants details when they aren't necessary, and that person simply pointed out that /adv/ eats the shit up wanting to know details. It happens all the time on /adv/. Sometimes the details don't matter. See >>18249766
>>
>>18249774
The victim absolutely sustained serious and likely lasting emotional damage. Like I said, I think me turning myself in would result in some closure, but I couldn't know for sure.
>>
>>18249778
So the fact the victim is still alive and suffers every day doesn't make a difference ethically? OP just said as such >>18249785
>>
>>18249737
FBI aren't going to be there before he gets a chance to hand himself in.
>>
>>18249785
>The victim absolutely sustained serious and likely lasting emotional damage
Rape confirmed.
>>
>>18249799
It's okay to be curious, guy. It doesn't matter though.
>>
If the victim is moving forward, turning yourself in could actually bring a lot of shit up for them. People are capable of getting closure to themselves. If you really think it would help things, turn yourself in. But otherwise, I'd remove yourself from the victims life and find a way to atone for what you did. Other than having to live with the guilt for the rest of your life.
>>
OP obviously tampered with someone's mailbox
>>
>>18249767
You wont tell us what it is but i am seriously picking up that you didnt ruin any lives in a way that is unfixable.

If this is the case, do not turn in. You are changed, so build anew.

Ill repeat from my earlier post... If someones life is devastated because of you AND serving justice will bring them closure you must turn yourself in.

Otherwise, move forward a better man. Serving time will just fuck your life up more.
>>
>>18249766
that's ridiculous, there is a huge difference between 3 months with probation and 6 years, the argument you are making is that you can boil this down to - he feels guilty, should he confess and take his punishment or live with the guilt. but you say the punishment, what it is does not matter. the guilt, what it is does not matter. But those are what give this dilemma substance, without those details it is so abstract as to be meaningless. anyways - punishment (imposed by the government) will never free your mind. penance may be appropriate but I would say that to turn it over to the state is really doing yourself and the world a dis service. Jail only removes you from society and the general population, gives your life structure, and restricts access to luxuries. It does not do anyone any good but the men who own the prisons...
>>
>>18249870
>the argument you are making is that you can boil this down to - he feels guilty
Exactly, because that's all that matters here. That's literally what this all boils down to, his guilt. He said, and I quote, "considering turning myself in out of guilt /shame." in the OP.
>>
>>18249880
So either he runs away to let the guilt fester for the rest of his life, confronts and apologizes and grovels to the victim, or turns himself in. Gotcha.

There ya go OP. Multiple choice.
>>
>>18249880
na fuck that i think the severity of the consequence matters, a week in jail would be a small price to pay for a clear conscience, but 20 years in prison would be too much. you will never convince me otherwise
>>
I say go to a church and do confession. Tell the priest exactly what you've done. In case you don't know already, as priests, they can't tell anyone, so you're safe. Talk to him about it. If you're looking for moral advice, none of us here are truly qualified to give it - get it from him. Ask him what ways you could best make things better without turning yourself in, and weigh the result of that with turning yourself in. In the end, he'll exonerate you of your sins, and even if you're not religious, that could clear your mind.

This is one of the toughest dilemmas I've ever encountered. Putting myself in your shoes, I can only start to understand how you feel.
>>
Moralfags lul
>>
>>18249915

> its cool to not give a shit about morals or doing the right thing

Spoken like a true degenerate.
>>
I'm guessing he sexually abused someone, maybe some kid - his sister or cousin or whatever. Have you ever truly apologized to the person you hurt and told her how bad you feel about it yourself? I'm guessing that would mean a lot to that person.
>>
>>18249885
you can't change the past. pray for god's forgiveness and he will give it to you, even the most wretched can find salvation, the lord's mercy will deliver you from turmoil and wash clean your soul.
>>
If there is no danger of you doing it or anything similar again, then don't turn yourself in. If you fee guilt try to volunteer or do something that is good for people.
>>
Fuck that OP. Why would you do that?

There is no reason to help the pigs with their crime statistics.

I could have had a record, but i don't because i lie abd deny, and im a tousand times better of. And this was a bullshit crime to.

And btw. I did "rape" a girl once. In a different country, she started crying during sex. But afterwards she just blamed it on herself and said "it was wrong of me to start crying".

Sould i call the fucking embasy and hey i might have commited a crime 4 years ago when i didn't stop when this girl said no. Btw she never reported it so there is no victim, but please take me in.

Do you think they even would care?
>>
There are two parts. Being right with society, ie. material reparation and being right with yourself. Very few people actually take responsibility for their lives fully. Some part is always out of our control. But if you feel that you cannot continue to live in society and you no longer have control, then by all means you should turn yourself in to the nearest law enforcement official with a full explanation of the crimes you've committed. It's the only way to be truly free.

Truly, without knowing the details of the situation there's no easy answer but if you feel guilty, confess. There's no point living a lie.
>>
You will be given more options to turn your life around with a clean record and physical freedom than otherwise.

Try to make the most of what you have. Intentionally jailing yourself is such a waste of opportunity.

Also, jail is full of niggers. Does that sound like a place you want to be for the next 6 years?
>>
>>18249627
Fuck that. While I don't necessarily NOT not care about you, your family, life, 'nd shit, there's 1 thing I do care about absolutely here. Your dog. Fuck everything else, don't let that dog be sad 'n' shit.

Plus, you ain't guilty if you aren't proven so in court. It's like pissing in the ocean; no one knows it's been done unless you tell them. And even then, can they really know it's true or not? Does it really have an effect? (If it's rape or murder or some shit, then yes, it does, but I don't care enough to continue this analogy.)

tl;dr, don't, your dog will be sad and that
s all we care about.
>>
Have the dog put down just in case things go south. Do it as soon as possible. If your victim is alive they might be in pain, so find them and kill them too. You can kill yourself to relieve yourself of guilt after that BUT you'll have to kill your parents first if you think your death might make them sad.
>>
If they know it was you and you have a warrant out then get a lawyer and turn yourself in.

If they have no idea it was you and or if there are no warrants (you said this was years ago so you're probably in the clear) then live life normally. Also don't ever tell anyone IRL
>>
>>18250546
>>18250542

There's two types of folks
>>
>>18250542
shut the fuck up you redditor faggot
>>
>>18250483
^ This
>>
>>18249666

>I would most certainly never be charged if I didn't turn myself in.

Then if you can come to terms with it any other way I would strongly advise another option
>>
How long ago? Does your country not have a statute of limitations?
>>
>>18251347
Statute of Limitations for felonies is usually a long time. Obviously the more serious the felony the longer it is and for like murder there isn't one. This is in the US at least.
>>
>>18251359
It depends if its a capital crime. A lot of sub-capital felonies have 3-7 year limitations depending on state.e.g. If it has been 5 years since he stole 10,000 from a church, in many states he couldn't be prosecuted.

He really should just spend $500 to talk with a criminal defense attorney and get a plan.
>>
>>18250483
Agreed.

Unless you did a violent crime against an innocent person, then you need to turn yourself in.
>>
>>18249627
No, guilt is a useless emotion.

You're as good as your next choice.

Just be a good dude from now on
>>
>>18249627
OP, if you ever see this comment anyway. Please, do not turn yourself in. The very fact that you have realized and agonized over your crime/misdeed is more than enough torment. Trust me, you will be thinking about this deed for the rest of your life.

Jail or not, coming to terms with what you did and forgeting it is two different things. Do yourself a favor and move on with life. I am not saying this to be a dick, but you will repent enough when you will have the person in your thoughts for the rest of your life.
>>
>>18249627
Surely you can find a better way of redeeming yourself?
>>
>>18251678
What the fuck is this?
>>
>>18249785
If you diddled a kiddle no it won't give closure they are neurotic for good champ just leave it you burnt that pile of sticks. Mental damage is mental damage.
>>
No. Don't be fucking stupid TWICE
>>
>>18251694
Waahahhahahhahahha oh my goddddddd anon holy shit haha!!!!! This was some funny fucking shit!!!!

Okay guys, here's a backstory
>be "good friends" with girl, she has a twin who i don't hang out with
>didn't see that twin in 4 years, one day she visits me and invites me to her wedding
>i agreed because of my friendship
>fast forward now
>few weeks ago my "friend" played both me and my good male friend
>i don't want to go to the wedding now
>i already confirmed and it's like 1 week from today
Give me your best excuses to not to go. Considered faking being sick but i want to cancel it asap.
>>
>>18249627
You will regret it immensely. Prison is awful in every way and won't help the person you hurt or their family. It's just destroying yet another life. Yours.

If you want to do something, make amends by regularly dedicating your time to help other victims of the type of crime you commit.

I was a
>>
>>18249627
I've been in a situation like this and turned myself in. Everything turned up better than I expected and I didn't end up in jail for a long time.
I'm still not sure if what I did was right. It certainly did not help anyone and just made my life harder.
>>
>>18249627
I too have been in a situation like this. OP, turn yourself in. You'll be clearing your conscious and finally setting things right with the victim of your crime. It's the best thing I ever did. While prison wasn't a hotel, my conscience is clear now. The police listened to my side and were pretty sympathetic. It's easier when you come to them. I remember living with the guilt your feeling and it was UNBEARABLE (and if it isn't now- it soon will be). Ignore the selfish assholes. People like us need to set things right. You know what to do.
>>
If you killed someone or raped someone, turning yourself in will give the victim/their family closure.

It's probably the right thing to do.
Thread posts: 75
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.